inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any fans of classic country from 50s,60s,70s

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/25/05 at 5:57 pm

I've noticed that all music subjects are always about pop,rock,disco or whatever...don't any of you listen to the giants of country music at all?
Like johnny Cash,Merel Haggard,Conway Twitty,Buck owens,Loretta Lynn,Don Wiliams,Charley Pride,Dolly Parton,Linda Ronstadt,Olivia Newton-John,Waylon Jennings,Glen Campbell and all the other greats from those  decades?

Subject: Re: Any fans of classic country from 50s,60s,70s

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/25/05 at 6:11 pm

i am. i'm a big fan of johnny cash, hank williams, don williams, johnnie horton and frankie laine.

Written By: Mona on 02/25/05 at 6:14 pm

I love all those people you mentioned Suspicious.  Well not Buck Owens,  but the rest are great.

Written By: AL-B on 02/25/05 at 6:33 pm

I remember hearing a lot of these old songs on AM radio when I was little. Some of my favorites:

"Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston" - Glen Campbell
"Rose Garden" - Lynn Anderson
"Six Days On The Road" - Dave Dudley
"I Fall To Pieces" - Patsy Cline
Anything by Johnny Cash

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/25/05 at 6:57 pm

Always been a country fan. Cash, Nelson, Williams, Campbell.. some of the more obscure ones are excellent as well.

Written By: zcrito on 02/27/05 at 5:52 am

I remember hearing a lot of these old songs on AM radio when I was little. Some of my favorites:

"Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston" - Glen Campbell
"Six Days On The Road" - Dave Dudley
Anything by Johnny Cash

"Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell

Great songs. I like those.
:)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/27/05 at 12:42 pm

I like a lot of Patsy Cline's work, especially "Blue" and "Crazy".

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/05 at 1:19 pm

I LOVE "Crazy" by Pasty Cline. I also like Skeeter Davis, "The End of the World" and a little unknown one by her called "No Never".

Cat

Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 4:26 pm

I love country from the old stuff to the new.

Some of my "old stuff" favorites Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams and Bob Willis & The Texas Playboys.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 8:33 pm

I'm not necessarily a big fan of classic country, however, it brings back fond memories of when I was little....my grandma used to play her old country albums on her neato record player that was built into a dresser type of furniture......and she would be cleaning the house and I would dance around to her favorite tunes!!

Erin  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/02/05 at 10:53 am

I also like Skeeter Davis, "The End of the World"

Cat

I  looove that song! I never thought of it as a country song, though. I guess she was the first country pop singer!! She just passed away recently.

Tanya

Written By: gemini61 on 03/02/05 at 5:58 pm

My mom always went to country shows back in the late 60s early 70s. She loved "Whisperin'" Bill Anderson, Conway Twitty, Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash. I know George Jones was always in some big controversy over missing shows because of his drinking, but I always loved his songs.  "He Stopped Loving Her Today", is a real tear jerker.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/05 at 6:17 pm

I  looove that song! I never thought of it as a country song, though. I guess she was the first country pop singer!! She just passed away recently.

Tanya

Did she? I didn't hear about it. I just recently got her greatest hits album.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/02/05 at 6:43 pm

Cat

I saw her pic in the IN MEMORIAM section of this year's Grammys.

Tanya

Written By: jaytee on 03/03/05 at 7:12 am

I love Frankie Laine, Hank Williams, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell (save and except "Rhinestone Cowboy" which I hate with a passion) and Dolly and Kenny.

If I have too many wines I often put Patsy Cline on and sing at the top of my lungs (particularly "Walking After Midnight") ... the neighbours can even vouch for me  :-[ :D

Written By: Paul on 03/03/05 at 7:29 am

Sadly, she has gone - sometime last year from cancer...fine singer...

Some great singers already listed - I can listen to the stuff quite happily, 'specially 'Gentleman' Jim Reeves who could do amazing things with a ballad...

Written By: gemini61 on 03/03/05 at 4:36 pm

I love Frankie Laine, Hank Williams, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell (save and except "Rhinestone Cowboy" which I hate with a passion) and Dolly and Kenny.

If I have too many wines I often put Patsy Cline on and sing at the top of my lungs (particularly "Walking After Midnight") ... the neighbours can even vouch for me  :-[ :D

Oh yea, love Patsy! Especially "Sweet Dreams"  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/05 at 1:49 pm

I can't say I'm really a big country fan, but there are a few I liked...

The Gambler
On The Road Again
It's Only Make Believe
Two Story House
I Love A Rainy Night
Don't Fall In Love with a Dreamer

Written By: AL-B on 03/20/05 at 11:30 pm

Today I heard Ray Stevens' version of "Misty." I haven't heard that song in ages.

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/22/05 at 9:12 pm

I grew up listening to Old country Hee Haw, Grand Ole Opry how about Roy Clark He and Buck Owens were a Team. How about the Oak Ridge Boys or One of my ever favorites The Statler Brothers. :)

Written By: whitewolf on 03/22/05 at 9:15 pm

I like alot of the old stuff

like Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Kenny Rogers, Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, and many more, My mom and dad always had some of these playing, I even like some of Roger Whiticker.

Written By: Bruce Snyder on 04/07/05 at 12:47 am

you can't beat Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, Lefty Frizzell, Ernest Tubb, Dave Dudley, Tennessee Earnie Ford or Buck Williams

Some Good Songs are Big Iron, Tennessee Flat top Box, Sixteen Tons, Thanks a lot, Six Days on the road, Saginaw Michigan and North To Alaska

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/05 at 5:54 am

I love country (influence from my grandad). 'North to Alaska' by Johnny Horton is one of my favourite tracks.  8)

Written By: Justawoman on 04/12/05 at 9:17 am

Figured this was as good a place as any for my first post. I loved reading over all the old artist. No one mentioned Tommy Overstreet, Barbara Fairchild, Freddy Fender.  Barbara Fairchild's song, " I Wish I Was A Teddybear" is still one of my all time favorite songs. How about Skeeter Davis and "The End Of The World", that is still such a pretty ballad.

Written By: mitch1987 on 04/12/05 at 7:31 pm

Well I was never a country fan as a kid or teenager but my parents were so I have all those 60's and 70's and early 80's country songs stuck in my head lol. I can't hear a Charlie Pride, Oakridge Boys, Tammy Wynette, or Johnny Cash song without think about the old days. And I don't mind it at all anymore. Guess after a while you learn to like other forms of music.

Written By: AL-B on 04/15/05 at 4:26 am

Well I was never a country fan as a kid or teenager but my parents were so I have all those 60's and 70's and early 80's country songs stuck in my head lol. I can't hear a Charlie Pride, Oakridge Boys, Tammy Wynette, or Johnny Cash song without think about the old days. And I don't mind it at all anymore. Guess after a while you learn to like other forms of music.
That's exactly how I feel.

Written By: jaytee on 04/15/05 at 7:40 am

'North to Alaska' by Johnny Horton is one of my favourite tracks.  8)

I love that song!  :)

Written By: jaytee on 04/15/05 at 7:42 am

I like alot of the old stuff

I even like some of Roger Whiticker.

I love Roger Whittaker.  "New World In The Morning" is a wonderful song.  My kids like him too especially the songs that he whistles  :)

Subject: I love it!!

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 11:02 am

I've noticed that all music subjects are always about pop,rock,disco or whatever...don't any of you listen to the giants of country music at all?
Like johnny Cash,Merel Haggard,Conway Twitty,Buck owens,Loretta Lynn,Don Wiliams,Charley Pride,Dolly Parton,Linda Ronstadt,Olivia Newton-John,Waylon Jennings,Glen Campbell and all the other greats from those  decades?

I love it..... Its what I call REAL country music!!

I have an 8 track (40s,50s and 60s coutnry hits)
Cassette - Country hits from the 60s

And several records :)

COUNTRY MUSIC DIED WHEN IT BECAME THAT COUNTRY ROCK CRAP!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...