inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: End of Progressive Rock?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/05 at 1:28 pm

I was wondering when did Progressive Rock come to an end, or is it still around?

Subject: Re: End of Progressive Rock?

Written By: jiminy on 02/26/05 at 1:37 pm

Bands like Opeth, Stratovarius and Amorphis are being called progressive metal now, I'm not sure if that's the same thing as progressive rock but these bands put a lot more emphasis on the music and the players abilities

Subject: Re: End of Progressive Rock?

Written By: AL-B on 02/27/05 at 4:27 am

I was wondering when did Progressive Rock come to an end, or is it still around?
When you say "progressive rock," do you mean a certain style of music like Pink Floyd or Emerson, Lake and Palmer that was popular in the 70s? Or are you referring to bands that are constantly experimenting with new sounds and are continuingly trying to evolve? If you are referring to the latter, there are still bands out there like this. I would put Radiohead and Coldplay in this category.
    One of my favorite bands is Wilco. They started out 10 years ago as an alt-country band (rising from the ashes of Uncle Tupelo) but they began to mess with their formula and add synthesizers to their music.  I didn't like it at first when they started changing their sound but it grew on me, and now I can't help but think that they're one of the most innovative bands in the last 20 years.  Their sound is truly unique and is definitely an acquired taste. I've never heard a band quite like them. The best way to explain it is that you have to listen to theiir albums 5 or 10 times over just to get used to their music, and then all of a sudden it really starts growing on you. If you're interested, check out their 2002 release, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." (Or, their 1995 album "Being There" is a much easier pill to swallow.)

Check for new replies or respond here...