inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nick Drake: most overrated musician of the 70s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/27/05 at 11:15 pm

Not that I have anything against Nick Drake himself, but after hearing most of his work (well, Pink Moon and a compilation) for quite a bit, I fail to see how he was crowned as one of the 'great geniuses' of songwriters who unfortunately met with an early death. With Jim Morrison of the doors (another overrated musical 'prodigy') he was perhaps created more of a legend that has overshadowed his work. I found most of his songs strangely tuneless, simplistic in structure, melody.etc and lacking in identity. Save 'Pink Moon' all are forgettable. Does anyone have any thoughts on him, his music.etc? I personally think Elliott Smith, his contempary of the 90s and early 00s (before dying in 2003 at age 34) was actually superior in terms of songwriting, knowledge of music.etc. But anyway, lets have some discussion...

Subject: Re: Nick Drake: most overrated musician of the 70s?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/28/05 at 6:26 am

The only thing I can offer is that he can't be too overrated - I have never heard of him  :)

That is not meant to sound bigheaded, but I thought I had heard of most of them  :o

Written By: Paul on 02/28/05 at 7:28 am

Horses for courses, really...

He made some good work, but it's hardly stuff of legend...it's almost certainly the 'deceased' factor which was the angle when his stuff was re-issued and re-promoted some years back...

And there's so many compilations flying around these days (alongside the original albums), obviously no-one at Universal has heard of overkill...!

IMO, Clifford T. Ward (also deceased, but no overkill whatsoever) was infintely more enjoyable...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/05 at 10:31 pm

His album 'Pink Moon' received 5 stars on Amazon. I don't know, perhaps it is partly to do with taste. But anyway, if you have a spare moment listen to 'Pink Moon' and tell us your opinions about it.

Written By: amey , india on 12/08/09 at 4:17 pm

ARE YOU fudgeIN KIDDING MEEEEEE....

drake was a fudgeing genius..
i kind of agree with u with jim morrison
he was a great visualizer and arranger of lyrics by blake and other people , but he had that charm and guts to do what he did..
he was pure crazy..

but drake no way..
bryter layter.. just takes u away from everything..
and at that point of time..notbody played like him..except for the finger picking blues..
and he was  overrated after this death..so why wud u even care to mention that..

u shud try talking bout nirvana then..they r overrated..but again cobain is dead..so let him be in peace..

and sorry but i completely disagree as drake being overrated..at his age he created beautiful melodies on sax piano clarinet n guitar ofcourse..

until n unless u urself create some great touching music..dont start a topic like this..
humble request..

cheers..

:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 7:43 pm

In the circles in which I travel, Nick Drake is universally adored...except by me.  I wanted like his music because the lyrics were feelings I knew too well.  It's sort of funny, but of Pink Floyd -- the most commercially theatrical big-budget act except the BeeGees and Led Zeppilin -- is the same way with me.  I just listened to "The Dark Side of the Moon" too many times, but my sister and her friends had all done the same.  It was the manifesto of suburban angst.

I was sixteen and admitted to Charles River Hospital because I had mentioned the S-word to my therapist and at any time the entire Dark Side of the Moon libretto might be scrawled into the combined walls and furniture of the adolescent. 

Oh, wait a minute, we're talking about Nick Drake.  He did a song called, I think, "Brown Dog" that really creeped me out.  It was all too close to home at the time.

Written By: amey on 12/18/09 at 2:58 am

black eyed dog , not brown dog lol..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 7:30 am

black eyed dog , not brown dog lol..

Ah, that's the one.  Thanks.
:)

Written By: steve on 02/01/10 at 9:44 pm

i certainly agree with you.  i've never seen it myself - and i tried. yucko.

steve

Not that I have anything against Nick Drake himself, but after hearing most of his work (well, Pink Moon and a compilation) for quite a bit, I fail to see how he was crowned as one of the 'great geniuses' of songwriters who unfortunately met with an early death. With Jim Morrison of the doors (another overrated musical 'prodigy') he was perhaps created more of a legend that has overshadowed his work. I found most of his songs strangely tuneless, simplistic in structure, melody.etc and lacking in identity. Save 'Pink Moon' all are forgettable. Does anyone have any thoughts on him, his music.etc? I personally think Elliott Smith, his contempary of the 90s and early 00s (before dying in 2003 at age 34) was actually superior in terms of songwriting, knowledge of music.etc. But anyway, lets have some discussion...

Written By: ninny on 02/02/10 at 7:56 am

I never heard of this guy, I had to Google him. I see he did not like to tour or grant interviews maybe this is one reason I never heard of him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/10 at 1:46 am

I never heard of this guy, I had to Google him. I see he did not like to tour or grant interviews maybe this is one reason I never heard of him.

And he's been dead for 35 years, which doesn't help, BUT I can see the same thread about my main man Ian Curtis!

Written By: ninny on 02/03/10 at 7:19 am

And he's been dead for 35 years, which doesn't help, BUT I can see the same thread about my main man Ian Curtis!

Well I actually have heard of him. He was once a person of the day, on ninny's person of the day. :)

Written By: Matthew on 04/30/10 at 5:38 am

His output is certainly inconsistent, but 'River Man' is a very beautiful song indeed, enhanced by a very sensitive string arrangement behind Drake's lugubrious guitar. On the other hand, many of the songs (particularly on Bryter Layter) are rather undermined by being over-produced. He was a limited talent: incapable of writing anything except spaced out, melancholic hippie songs which hint at a deeply troubled soul. But he did that better than most people!

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 04/30/10 at 5:12 pm

Oh, wait a minute, we're talking about Nick Drake.  He did a song called, I think, "Brown Dog" that really creeped me out.  It was all too close to home at the time.

I know that song. Interesting...why does it it scare you? Haha no offense or anything just wondering.

On my iPod I have Pink Moon, Five Leaves Left, and a compilation. Unfortunately, I have not listened to any of them completely yet. I will surely comment though after I have.

Written By: zcrito on 05/20/10 at 8:12 pm

I thought it sounded like him when I first saw this commercial a couple of weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXy_PK3naG8

Check for new replies or respond here...