inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did we survive the 70's??

Written By: ADH13 on 03/05/05 at 10:03 pm

If we wanted to call someone, we couldn't use one-touch dialing.  We couldn't simply "touch" anything.  We had to dial each digit and wait for the dial to come back.

If we were on the phone, we had to stay within a couple feet of the phone.

If we tried to call someone that was on the phone, we would get a busy signal.  If they weren't home, we couldn't leave a message, it would just ring and ring.

If we wanted to change the channel on the TV, we had to get up off of the couch and change it.  Not that there were many to choose from anyway.

We had to parallel park those huge cars.

If we wanted to buy something, we had to get in the car and go buy it.  We couldn't simply turn on a computer, click a mouse a few times, and have our merchandise delivered to our doors.

If we were writing and made a mistake, we were lucky if we used pencil because there was no white-out.

If we did something wrong, we got in trouble.  Our parents didn't try to make excuses for us or cover for us.  They would even make us go apologize.

Maybe this is part of the answer:

In the 70's, we spent more time out of the house doing things with our families and less time on the phone, so being on the phone didn't seem so inconvenient.

We probably didn't change the channel on the TV in the middle of a show because the commercials were entertaining too.

Driving to the store to buy what we needed wasn't so bad either, because there was good music on the radio to make the time go faster.

Subject: Re: How did we survive the 70's??

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 7:14 am

If we wanted to change the channel on the TV, we had to get up off of the couch and change it.   Not that there were many to choose from anyway.

Simply get someone else to switch the channel on the TV!

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 03/08/05 at 11:16 pm

If we were writing and made a mistake, we were lucky if we used pencil because there was no white-out.

I'm almost sure we had white-out in the 70s?
I went to public school in the 70s, and I remember using that stuff back then..If it's that same stuff I think you mean...Is white-out that stuff that you applied like nailpolish?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/08/05 at 11:26 pm

Yeah, but I don't remember having white-out in the 70's.

I do, however, remember the "photocopies" of the 70's that smelled so good haha

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 03/09/05 at 6:35 am

I do, however, remember the "photocopies" of the 70's that smelled so good haha

;D

BTW,it may have not been the whole decade of the 70s that we had it,but at least by the late 70s is what I'm thinking.. :)

Written By: gord on 03/09/05 at 6:46 am

Not sure when but wasn't it invented by Mike Nesmiths of The Monkees Mom ?  :)

Written By: AL-B on 03/09/05 at 3:21 pm

Also, we didn't have to wear a stupid helmet everytime we stepped outside the house.

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 03/09/05 at 4:21 pm

Not sure when but wasn't it invented by Mike Nesmiths of The Monkees Mom ?  :)

Yep,this is what I have heard..

Check for new replies or respond here...