inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Cover Songs

Written By: eightiesfan on 03/08/05 at 7:49 am

I started a topic like this about a year ago at the 80's section of the messageboard.  This can apply to either older songs that were remade in the 70's or 70's songs remade in the 80's or later.  Here is a list of some of my faves:

Da Doo Ron Ron - done originally by the Crystals in the 60's, #1 for Shaun Cassidy in 1977

Smokin in the Boys Room - original by Brownsville Station, 1974 - love the cover version by Motley Crue in 1985

Locomotion - original by Little Eva, 1962 - remade by Grand Funk, 1974 (that's my favorite version of the song); also done by
Kylie Minogue in 1988, but I don't care much for that version

Subject: Re: 70's Cover Songs

Written By: nally on 03/08/05 at 5:50 pm

Great topic, CO89.

70s songs that later got covered:

"Cruisin": originally performed by Smokey Robinson in 1979; covered in the early 00's by Huey Lewis & Gwyneth Paltrow in the film Duets. I've never heard the original, but like the remake.

"Fly Like An Eagle": originally recorded by the Steve Miller Band in '77; and covered in '96 by Seal.

"Killing Me Softly (With His Song)": originally done by Roberta Flack in '72; covered in '96 by the Fugees. I personally don't care for either.

Early songs that got covered in the 70s:

"Knock On Wood": originally performed by Eddie Floyd in 1967 (is that right, Ellipsis?) and covered by Amii Stewart in '79.

That's all I can think of right now.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/08/05 at 6:26 pm

"Without You"  by Nilsson remade by Mariah Carey
"Angel of the Morning" by Air Supply remade by The Pretenders
"Everlasting Love" by Carl Carlton remade by U2
"On The Radio" by Donna Summer remade by Selena

Written By: gord on 03/08/05 at 7:08 pm

I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band version of  Bruce Springsteens 'Blind By The Light'  better.  Van Halen did The Kinks 'You Really Got Me'. And I've been hearing a new version of Supertramps ' Give a Little Bit' but I'm not sure who covered it :)

Written By: Phylo1979 on 03/08/05 at 7:32 pm

Linda Ronstadt did tons of covers in the 70's and early 80's:  Tracks of My Tears and Ooh Baby Baby (Smokey and the Miracles), That'll Be the Day and It's So Easy (Buddy Holly), Back in the USA (Chuck Berry), Heat Wave (Martha and the Vandellas), I Knew You When (Billy Joe Royal), and Hurts So Bad (Little Anthony)

Donny Osmond had a couple of hits with cover versions of Puppy Love (Paul Anka) and Go Away Little Girl (Steve Lawrence).  I think he did I Knew You When, too.

A few of my favorites:  Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede (B. J. Thomas), a smashing version of Spanish Harlem by Aretha Franklin (Ben E King) and Please Mr Postman by the Carpenters (Marvellettes)

and a couple of possible obscure ones:  Love Hurts by Nazareth was originally done by Roy Orbison and Hot Rod Lincoln by Commander Cody which was a hit for Johnny Bond in 1960

Written By: nally on 03/08/05 at 10:53 pm

And I've been hearing a new version of Supertramps ' Give a Little Bit' but I'm not sure who covered it :)

The Goo Goo Dolls recently covered it. :)

Written By: zcrito on 03/08/05 at 11:27 pm

Songs from the '70s and then done again in the '70s or later?

This is all I could come up with for now (and they're just the ones I really like and think are worth mentioning)

This Masquerade -- orginally Leon Russell and covered by George Benson in '76.
Strawberry Letter 23 -- originally Shuggie Otis and covered by The Brothers Johnson in '76

Make It With You/Take A Chance (On Me) -- originally Bread and ABBA covered by Alma in '98
Love's Holiday -- orginally Earth, Wind & Fire and covered by Norman Brown in '92
After the Dance -- originally Marvin Gaye and covered by Fourplay & El DeBarge in '91
Come And Get Your Love -- originally Redbone and covered by The Real McCoy in '95

and
Smokey Robinson's "Cruisin'" which nally already listed.

That's it.

;)

Written By: nally on 03/08/05 at 11:41 pm

Another one I just thought of, which goes in the category of songs covered in the 70s:

The Kinks' "You Really Got Me", originally done in the 60s; covered by Van Halen in '78. I like both versions.

Written By: gord on 03/09/05 at 5:37 am

The Goo Goo Dolls recently covered it. :)

ok, thanks Jeff, I've been hearing bits of it on the radio but couldn't catch who did it :)

Written By: nally on 03/09/05 at 11:45 am

ok, thanks Jeff, I've been hearing bits of it on the radio but couldn't catch who did it :)

No prob ;)

More 70s songs that later got covered (which haven't been mentioned yet):

"Everybody Plays The Fool" by Main Ingredient. Aaron Neville covered this one in the early 90's.

"I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash. Jimmy Cliff covered it in 1993.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/05 at 12:12 pm

Fun topic!  Covers in the 70's were everywhere  :)

How about Robert John's cover of The Lion Sleeps Tonite?  It was so like the original, it could be hard to tell which one it was...

Written By: gord on 03/09/05 at 5:49 pm

Just thought of another one, in the mid-70's Elton John did 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' which I like as much as the original :)

Written By: eightiesfan on 03/11/05 at 7:54 am

Another one of my favorite cover songs from the 70's is 'Macarthur Park' by Donna Summer from 1978, originally done by
Richard Harris ten years earlier.  :)

The 70's had its share of bad covers, too - one prime example, IMO, is any song Leif Garrett covered, like 'Runaround Sue' and
'Surfin USA' (I know it's not really his fault, the record label made him do those songs)

Written By: nally on 03/11/05 at 10:39 am

I just thought of some more 70s songs that were later covered:

"Lean On Me": originally by Bill Withers; covered in the 80s by Club Nouveau.

"Love Rollercoaster": originally by Ohio Players; covered in the 90s by Red Hot Chili Peppers (with a rap verse added).

"Landslide": originally by Fleetwood Mac; got covered in the 90s by Smashing Pumpkins and then by the Dixie Chicks three years ago.

Written By: karen on 03/11/05 at 10:52 am

what about T-rex Get It On was covered by Power Station in the 80s

Erasure covered some Abba songs but I can't remember exactly which ones

Written By: eightiesfan on 03/11/05 at 10:59 am

what about T-rex Get It On was covered by Power Station in the 80s

Erasure covered some Abba songs but I can't remember exactly which ones

I know for sure they covered 'Take a Chance on Me'

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/11/05 at 11:19 am

Don't forget all the snippets of songs that were stolen/sampled by rappers...too many to list though ::)

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 4:48 am

May or may not be obscure, but "Six Pence None The Wiser" covered "Dancing Queen" by ABBA on the soundtrack for "Dick"...which since it was about two teenage girls being involved with Nixon downfall due to Watergate, was a film set in the 70's.  ;) 

I think Hole did a cover of "Gold Dust Woman" by Fleetwood Mac, but IMO it was horrid...I actually like one or two songs by Hole...but that cover isn't one of them.  IMO the original is perfect, Hole/Courtney Love just butchered the song.  Doing an etheral sounding song like "Gold Dust Woman" as a post-grunge song is just...very...wrong. 

Written By: nally on 03/14/05 at 10:30 am

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was covered by Run DMC in the 80s...although their version actually featured Steven Tyler and Joe Perry on guest vocals and guitar, respectively.

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 4:51 pm

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was covered by Run DMC in the 80s...although their version actually featured Steven Tyler and Joe Perry on guest vocals and guitar, respectively.

LOL, I almost don't think of that as a Run DMC cover, I almost think of it as an Aerosmith re-release/remix of the original...but I guess it's because Steven Tyler & Joe Perry seem almost more predominate during the video for it then Run DMC does, despite it being officially their cover of the song.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/14/05 at 6:16 pm

LOL, I almost don't think of that as a Run DMC cover, I almost think of it as an Aerosmith re-release/remix of the original...but I guess it's because Steven Tyler & Joe Perry seem almost more predominate during the video for it then Run DMC does, despite it being officially their cover of the song.

Perfectly defined, I couldn't agree with you more ;)

Written By: nally on 03/16/05 at 11:26 pm

Perfectly defined, I couldn't agree with you more ;)

Maybe not...I guess it's not really of a "cover"...more of a "revival." :-\\

Edited to add:
On a similar note, Dobie Gray's 1973 hit "Drift Away" was revived 30 years later by Uncle Kracker, and I wouldn't call that a cover, since Dobie does sing on there.

Written By: Arvig on 03/17/05 at 3:29 pm

Maybe not...I guess it's not really of a "cover"...more of a "revival." :-\\

Edited to add:
On a similar note, Dobie Gray's 1973 hit "Drift Away" was revived 30 years later by Uncle Kracker, and I wouldn't call that a cover, since Dobie does sing on there.

Just remembered one that's similar, band called "Fear Factory" did a cover/revival/remix/whatever it is of Gary Numan's "Cars", but Gary Numan sang it...so it's kind of the same category IMO, even if it was on a "Fear Factory" album, not one of his.  Then again Gary Numan qualifies for covering himself, ignoring the Fear Factory one I think I've heard at least three different versions of Cars including the original.

Written By: nally on 03/18/05 at 11:14 pm

No one's mentioned "Baby I Love Your Way"...which was originally recorded by Peter Frampton in 1976, covered in 1988 by Will To Power as part of a "Freebird Medley", and then again in 1994 by Big Mountain (who turned out to be a one hit wonder with that song).

Written By: Arvig on 03/19/05 at 5:36 am

To add to this, I recently heard a cover of Blondie's "Heart of Glass" by a kind of teenybopper-pop punk singer named "Skye Sweetnam"....she kind of reminded me of Britney Spears trying to sound like Avril Lavigne, to be honest, at least to my ear.  I'll let others mention if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  :)

Written By: nally on 04/04/05 at 6:03 pm

To add to this, I recently heard a cover of Blondie's "Heart of Glass" by a kind of teenybopper-pop punk singer named "Skye Sweetnam"....she kind of reminded me of Britney Spears trying to sound like Avril Lavigne, to be honest, at least to my ear.  I'll let others mention if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  :)

Never heard of her...or any such cover. :-\\

Speaking of revivals... I just thought of another... Eric Clapton recorded an unplugged, solo version of "Layla" in 1992, 20 years after he performed it as a member of Derek and the Dominos.

Written By: Arvig on 04/05/05 at 4:34 am

Never heard of her...or any such cover. :-\\

Speaking of revivals... I just thought of another... Eric Clapton recorded an unplugged, solo version of "Layla" in 1992, 20 years after he performed it as a member of Derek and the Dominos.

I found her homepage via a Google search, just type in her first & last name.  I'll leave it up to you if you want to really look her up.  ;)  Not like I found her voice to be terrible, but not like I was exactly inspired by her cover either, if that makes any sense.  The part I heard kind of sounded like what Disney would do for a movie soundtrack song if they wanted something from a semi-unknown, but wanted something that sounded a tiny bit like a rock or punk song...what a friend of mine calls "Fluff-pop-rock".  :)

Written By: eightiesfan on 04/05/05 at 7:14 am

Eric Clapton also did a remake of his 1970 hit, "After Midnight", in the late 80's, which was used in that beer commercial.

Written By: Arvig on 04/06/05 at 1:51 am

Eric Clapton also did a remake of his 1970 hit, "After Midnight", in the late 80's, which was used in that beer commercial.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it, but now that you have, I can kind of hear it in the back of my head, so to speak. 

Since I mentioned Gary Numan covering himself, and Classof1989 mentioned Eric Clapton, can anyone else think of someone who covered themselves?  Personally, if memory serves I think Modern English covered themselves with "I Melt With You", the original in the early 80's which was used on the Valley Girl soundtrack, and a revival/cover of themselves around 1990 that charted a tiny bit. 

(err...and I honestly don't remember if I mentioned Modern English once before, and I'm feeling too lazy to look, so if I did, oops.  ;)  ).

Written By: eightiesfan on 04/06/05 at 7:22 am

In the early 90's, Neil Young did a revised version of his 1979 hit, "Rock N Roll Can Never Die" - I think it was on Unplugged or something like that.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/09/05 at 9:49 pm

"Summer Breeze" originally by Seals and Croft, covered by the Isley Bros. and others
"Daydreaming" originally by Aretha Franklin, covered by a woman (I forgot her name, though)
"So Far Away" (my fave from Tapestry) originally by Carole King and covered by Rod Stewart

Tanya

Written By: Steffi on 04/14/05 at 3:40 pm

I know for sure they covered 'Take a Chance on Me'

They released and Abba-esque EP and the tracks were Take a chance on me, Lay all your love on me, SOS & Voulez vous.

I liked Everything but the girls cover in 88 of Rod Stewarts 70s hit 'I dont want to talk about it'

Written By: Arvig on 04/15/05 at 2:59 am

These are 60's songs, not 70's...but believe it or not, Mae West...did a cover of the Doors "Light My Fire".  I'm not kidding, sung it with a slight vibrato and changed "Funeral Pyre" to "burning pyre".  :D

Okay...70's song.  Just remembered that Green Jello/Jelly did a cover of "Anarchy In The UK" by the Sex Pistols, albeit they changed the lyrics to Flintstones related, and did it as "Anarchy In Bedrock".  ;) 

If you're not familiar with Green Jello/Jelly, I'd call them a less "in your face" version of GWAR, kind of a "GWAR lite".  They changed their name since the Jello corporation (or whomever is their holding corporation) sued them over the name...I guess being a less obnoxious version of GWAR still wasn't enough.  Interesting how they picked when they actually had a hit to do this though...  ::)

Written By: nally on 04/18/05 at 2:38 pm

Okay...70's song. Just remembered that Green Jello/Jelly did a cover of "Anarchy In The UK" by the Sex Pistols, albeit they changed the lyrics to Flintstones related, and did it as "Anarchy In Bedrock". ;)

Never heard of it (but I do know the original somewhat), but would Green Jello/y's version be considered a parody, given the information above?

Written By: Arvig on 04/19/05 at 2:13 am

Never heard of it (but I do know the original somewhat), but would Green Jello/y's version be considered a parody, given the information above?

Pretty much one could call it a parody, they were a gimmick band, although they also did try to play well too...a friend of mine who is a part time musician did describe them as sounding "tight" for instance.  But again, I'd call them a GWAR lite band, i.e. they do (or did if no longer around) a lot of foam rubber costumes, and most of their songs are not to be taken seriously...I mean they had titles like "Obey the Cow God", "Toucan Son Of Sam" and their one hit, which was based on the Three Little Pigs, who in the video gets saved by a foam rubber puppet Rambo, who machine guns the Big Bad Wolf.  ;)  Well, I remember actually hearing "Electric Harley House of Love" on a soundtrack album, but don't know if it actually charted.  They weren't nearly as risque as GWAR, maybe a bit more risque Spinal Tap with the foam rubber costumes kind of like Gwar, and a bit of a puppet show atmosphere.  ;)

In fact, I think they initially released their album as a VHS tape first, THEN did a CD, calling it a soundtrack album.  They actually tried to be the first video only band, if memory serves.  If you're really curious, google a search for "Cereal Killer", the album name, or just for "Green Jello" and look for mentions of the band.  BTW, if you can, look for the "Green Jello" version, another thing that happened is that I think they had to yank "Toucan Son Of Sam" off of the album, due to another lawsuit...I guess General Mills, the company that makes Fruit Loops didn't like their Toucan Sam character being used or portrayed as a sociopath, even if it was a goofy puppet show. 

OH...another cover.  Band called "Dread Zeppelin"...imagine a reggae band doing Led Zeppelin songs, but with a circa 70's Elvis Impersanator singing lead vocals, did among other Led Zep songs "Stairway to Heaven".  Kind of interesting to hear Elvis' voice to a reggae beat to a Led Zep song.  They also covered some Bob Marley songs, to keep with the reggae bit, again using the Elvis impersanator.  They were..early to mid 90's, at least that's when I remember hearing about them, and picking up one of their CD's.  They actually sounded not too bad, once one got past the gimmick.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 05/13/05 at 7:40 am

Just remembered, in 1989, Poison did a rocked-up cover version of the Loggins & Messina classic 'Your Mama Don't Dance', originally done in 1973, which I dare say is as good if not better, than the original.  8)

Also in '89, Young & the Restless star Michael Damian re-made 'Rock On', which was first sung by David Essex in 1974.

Written By: nally on 05/29/05 at 11:26 am

Just thought of another one... "Rock & Roll Music" (originally done by Chuck Berry and then by the Beatles in the 60s) covered by the Beach Boys in 1976. I've only heard that version once.

Written By: holicman on 05/31/05 at 6:11 am

Toploader did a cover of "dancing in the moonlight, i think that was done by three dog night.............but thats hearsay.......its not a bad tune though.

The other one i thought was horrid was Peter Andre's version of "gimme a little sign" originally done by Brenton Wood in the 60's.

I liked Past II Presents version of the Earth wind and Fire hit "september,and One hit wonder"portrait did a brilliant soulful version of the bee gees "how deep is your love".

Written By: memory on 06/06/05 at 4:21 pm

tool did a cover of led zeppelins "no quarter" . a perfect circle did a cover of led zeppelins "when the leeve breaks",system of a down did a cover of black sabbaths "snowblind" , a perfect circle did a cover of john lennons "imagine" , guns n roses did a cover of paul mcCartneys "live and let die" , megadeth did a cover of the sex pistols "anarchy in the uk" and black sabbaths "paranoid" , there is a lot more but i cant think of them right now.

Written By: nally on 07/07/05 at 10:58 pm

I remember hearing that one a couple years after Selena's untimely death. It was part of a medley that included another Donna Summer song, "Last Dance", and Van McCoy's "The Hustle". All cover songs into one medley.

At any rate, I just thought of a couple more 70's songs that later got covered (and I'm pretty sure these haven't been mentioned here yet):

Joe Jackson's 1979 hit "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" was covered in late 2003/early '04 by Sugar Ray. I've heard both; they sound very similar to each other.

KC & the Sunshine Band's 1979 hit "Please Don't Go", covered in '92 by a dance group called KWS, who turned out to be a one hit wonder with that song.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/10/05 at 12:17 pm

There's also Love Hurts by I'm not sure who,but he covered it from Roy Orbison. And Blue Suade's Hooked On A Feeling covered from BJ Thomas

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/05 at 2:40 pm

There's also Love Hurts by I'm not sure who,but he covered it from Roy Orbison. And Blue Suade's Hooked On A Feeling covered from BJ Thomas
Do you mean Jim Capaldi version of Love Hurts, in fact Jim Capaldi died just recently.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 07/11/05 at 7:30 am

Actually, the best known version of Love Hurts is by Nazareth.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/10/05 at 5:06 pm

Recently, Melissa Etheridge covered Tom Petty's 1979 hit "Refugee"; not one that I care for. ::)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/11/05 at 7:24 am

I think Elton John did a great re-make of the Beatles classic 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' in 1975 - his buddy John Lennon even sang back-up vocals on it.  :)

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/12/05 at 8:44 pm

I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band version of  Bruce Springsteens 'Blind By The Light'  better.

I agree with you on this, even if it gets knocked a lot, including by me.

Two remakes I enjoyed in the 1970's were:

Cat Stevens' version of Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night" &
James Taylor's version of Marvin Gaye's "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)"

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 08/17/05 at 9:29 pm

Somebody also did a cover song for Janis Joplin's "Pieces Of My Heart" too. who is that?

Written By: nally on 08/17/05 at 11:07 pm

There's also Love Hurts by I'm not sure who,but he covered it from Roy Orbison. And Blue Suede's Hooked On A Feeling covered from BJ Thomas

Never heard BJ Thomas' version, but I do know that Blue Swede's version contains the "ooga-chuga" in the background.

Written By: zcrito on 08/18/05 at 3:28 am

I agree with you on this, even if it gets knocked a lot, including by me.

Two remakes I enjoyed in the 1970's were:

Cat Stevens' version of Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night" &
James Taylor's version of Marvin Gaye's "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)"

Cat Stevens' version of Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night".

I couldn't believe he actually did that song. It's not really his style. I don't think he cared for the direction his career was taking at the time and it was a short time after that song that he bailed from the music business.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/18/05 at 7:24 am

Somebody also did a cover song for Janis Joplin's "Pieces Of My Heart" too. who is that?

There are at least two cover versions of that song that I'm aware of - one was by Sammy Hagar in 1982 and the other one by Faith Hill in 1994.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/05 at 8:26 pm

The Gilligans Island theme song and the Rocky Rorror Picture Show
theme song were covered by a band called Bowling For Soup.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 08/20/05 at 4:13 am

The cover of Janis Joplin's "Pieces of My Heart" I'm thinking of is I know now is the song "Tighter, Tighter" that's what I thought.

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/20/05 at 9:42 am

"Everything I own" (Bread, 1972) was covered by Boy George in 1987.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/21/05 at 1:35 pm

Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall"..........Korn

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/21/05 at 11:59 pm

Fats Domino did a really cool cover of the Beatles' "Lady Madonna," though I'm not sure if it came out in the late 60's or early 70's.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/22/05 at 8:09 pm

Vicki Lawrence's The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia...Reba McIntyre

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 08/22/05 at 10:50 pm

I like that song

Written By: zcrito on 08/23/05 at 3:59 am

Fats Domino did a really cool cover of the Beatles' "Lady Madonna," though I'm not sure if it came out in the late 60's or early 70's.

I looked that up since it sounded really weird, but you're right, he did cover the L&M "Lady Madonna", but in 1968. It's kind of odd, since L&M wrote the song to copy Fats Domino's style.

Written By: Valhalla on 08/23/05 at 8:44 am

Badfinger did the original version of Without You. Then covered by Nilsson(who had a hit with it) and then recently covered by Mariah Carey.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 8:11 pm

Here are a few 1970's songs, covered more recently (I know some of these are 1960's, but the groups and songs were still big in the 1970's):

One Tin Soldier    Me First & The Gimmie Gimmies
Stairway To Heaven    Dolly Parton
Stairway To Heaven    Pat Boone
Under My Thumb    Boomtown Rats
Under My Thumb    Kim Carnes
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)    George Burns
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)    Samantha Fox
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)    Areth Franklin
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)    Devo
Working In A Cole Mine    Devo
Jumpin' Jack Flash    Cindarella
Stayin' Alive    Ozzy Osborne & Dweezel Zappa
These Boots Are Made For Walking    Megadeath
No More Mr. Nice Guy    Megadeath
Ziggy Stardust    Bauhaus
Money (That's What I Want)  Flying Lizards
I Will Survive    Cake
Strawberry Fields Forever    William Shatner

I will make a list of 1970's songs that were covers when I get a chance.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/05 at 11:09 am

Here are a few 1970's songs, covered more recently (I know some of these are 1960's, but the groups and songs were still big in the 1970's):

One Tin Soldier     Me First & The Gimmie Gimmies
Stairway To Heaven     Dolly Parton
Stairway To Heaven     Pat Boone
Under My Thumb     Boomtown Rats
Under My Thumb     Kim Carnes
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     George Burns
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Samantha Fox
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Areth Franklin
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Devo
Working In A Cole Mine     Devo
Jumpin' Jack Flash     Cindarella
Stayin' Alive     Ozzy Osborne & Dweezel Zappa
These Boots Are Made For Walking     Megadeath
No More Mr. Nice Guy     Megadeath
Ziggy Stardust     Bauhaus
I Will Survive     Cake
Strawberry Fields Forever     William Shatner

Rolf Harris has done a version of Stairway To Heaven   

Written By: Mushroom on 08/24/05 at 11:29 am

Rolf Harris has done a version of Stairway To Heaven     

Oh my, I am gonna have to go look for that one!

I wonder if I am the only one that is not an Aussie that recognized that name, without having to look it up?

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/25/05 at 12:43 pm

One Tin Soldier     Me First & The Gimmie Gimmies
Stairway To Heaven     Dolly Parton
Stairway To Heaven     Pat Boone
Under My Thumb     Boomtown Rats
Under My Thumb     Kim Carnes
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     George Burns
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Samantha Fox
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Areth Franklin
Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)     Devo
Working In A Cole Mine     Devo
Jumpin' Jack Flash     Cindarella
Stayin' Alive     Ozzy Osborne & Dweezel Zappa
These Boots Are Made For Walking     Megadeath
No More Mr. Nice Guy     Megadeath
Ziggy Stardust     Bauhaus
I Will Survive     Cake
Strawberry Fields Forever     William Shatner

I think Jessica Simpson did a re-make of 'These Boots are Made for Walking' as well, for the Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/25/05 at 12:44 pm

I wonder if I am the only one that is not an Aussie that recognized that name, without having to look it up?

I do - I know he had that hit in the early 60's called 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport'

I just remember another cover song - in the 70's Neil Sedaka re-made his own classic hit from 1962, 'Breaking Up is Hard to Do'

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 9:16 pm

A quebec singer named Martin Stevens had a hit with Love is in the Air by John Paul Young one year after JPY's version became a hit :)

The Boogie Pimps recently did a cover of the song Sunny.  I know it dates back to the 60's by Bobby Hebb, but the Pimps based it off the Boney M version :)

N-Trance - Stayin' Alive (1995 cover of the Bee Gees hit)
Streetheart - Under My Thumb (1979 cover of the Rolling Stones hit)
Steps - Tragedy (a 1999 cover of the Bee Gees hit)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/09/05 at 9:57 am

I don't know if this counts as a re-make in the traditional sense, but I loved Owen Wilson's version of David Soul's 1977 hit,
'Don't Give Up On Us', which he sang in the Starsky & Hutch movie last year.  I also remember hearing Soul's version on the radio as a little kid, but I didn't know it was him singing it till I was a little older.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/09/05 at 9:07 pm

N-Trance - Stayin' Alive (1995 cover of the Bee Gees hit)

That's a rap version which I don't care for the least bit.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/05 at 10:10 pm

Don't know if this one counts, but there was a FANTASTIC remix/sample of ELO's Shine A Little Love earlier this year called 'Shine' by the Lovefreekz

Written By: belladonna on 09/11/05 at 6:16 am

This is fun, wish I had time to do a lot of research...here's a few off the top of my head

Everlasting Love  Robert Knight-covered by Carl Carlton
American Woman  Guess Who-covered by Lenny Kravitz
Car Wash  Rose Royce-covered by Christina Aguilera and Co.
Venus  Shocking Blue-covered by Bananarama
I Think We're Alone Now  (this mught have come out in the 60s, tho)  Tommy James and the Shondells-covered by Tiffany

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/05 at 7:22 am

Bohemian Rhapsody by Rolf Harris (mid 90s)

Written By: Jerry Naylon on 10/30/10 at 8:45 pm

Do you mean Jim Capaldi version of Love Hurts, in fact Jim Capaldi died just recently.

The original version of Love Hurts iwas done by The Everly Brothers in 1960 then covered by Roy Orbison in 1961. The Everly Brothers recorded it as an album song and never made it a single. They didn't realize that they had a real winner. Love Hurts has been covered over 30 times since then. By Cher, Nazareth, just to name a few.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/12 at 8:41 pm

In 1976, a Canadian duo called Jackson Hawke released a cover of Van Morrisson's 1970 album track 'Into the Mystic'.  It only reached #64 in Canada, but it was well loved and is still heard on classic rock radio.  In the greatest cover songs of all time, I rank this one in the Top 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxNMSDh7fkY

Written By: Cherie70 on 02/21/12 at 4:17 pm

Angel of the Morning was By Juice Newton

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/12 at 9:31 am

There again "Without You" by Nilsson is a cover of the original by Badfinger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9aNIhxIz10

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/12 at 8:11 pm

There's an old 00s thread, lying, dying,
and it gets itself up on one elbow,
and it turns to its posters,
who are still reading it, and it sings...

UBzJQ6ZA6oA

- Rolf Harris, Stairway to Heaven.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/29/12 at 10:53 pm

Is this thread supposed to be for covers of seventies songs from subsequent decades, or cover songs made in the seventies?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/01/12 at 7:21 pm

I started a topic like this about a year ago at the 80's section of the messageboard.  This can apply to either older songs that were remade in the 70's or 70's songs remade in the 80's or later.

So to answer Maxwell's question, "Yes"!

Check for new replies or respond here...