inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charlie says

Written By: BME on 03/14/05 at 9:44 am

If anyone out there knows where I can get hold of a 'Charlie says' pic I would greatfully appreciate it LOL been all over the internet and I can't find one :\'(

Subject: Re: Charlie says

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 10:41 am

This page might have what you want

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/

either adverts or public information films

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 10:43 am

me again

google "charley says" and I found this

Written By: Nu Complex on 03/14/05 at 11:08 am

Yay!!  That picture brings back some memories....  I just found out recently that Kenny Everett provided the voice for Charlie the cat!

:)

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 11:11 am

Well, I never knew that

Written By: Paul on 03/14/05 at 1:06 pm

Gracious...!! Neither did I...!

I never used to like those films, I was more of a 'Tufty The Road Safety Squirrel' kind of chap...!!

Written By: karen on 03/15/05 at 4:06 am

I liked both "Charley says" and the ones with that man and his wife Petunia.  They were mainly about swimming I think.  I can't really remember many Tufty 'commercials' though I did have a board game featuring him.

Paul were you ever a member of the Tufty Club?

Written By: Paul on 03/15/05 at 5:07 pm

I can't really remember many Tufty 'commercials' though I did have a board game featuring him.

Strangely, no I wasn't - obviously I must have been deprived, as I was about the right age...

Also strangely, I remember the 'Public Information Films' but not the board game...

Can't rightly remember, but didn't they try to bring Tufty back not long ago?

Must have died on its backside, I can't imagine many kids going for that now...!

And whilst I've got way too much time on my hands, let's all learn how to cross the road safely...!!

Seems to be a board game within, karen...was that it?

Written By: Bobby on 03/16/05 at 3:36 am

This might be a little later but I remember Rolf Harris doing his 'Learn to swim' feature and then waving with his foot. It freaked me out.  :o

There was also another one called that but it was an abstract cartoon, I can't find it anywhere.

Written By: karen on 03/16/05 at 3:59 am

I remember the 'Public Information Films' but not the board game...

Can't rightly remember, but didn't they try to bring Tufty back not long ago?

They've replaced him with the singing hedgehogs now.

And whilst I've got way too much time on my hands, let's all learn how to cross the road safely...!!

Seems to be a board game within, karen...was that it?

I think so, apart from the bit about squirrel world domination of course!.  I only have very hazy memories of the game because it was one my grandma bought and kept at her house.

Written By: Paul on 03/16/05 at 6:47 am

This might be a little later but I remember Rolf Harris doing his 'Learn to swim' feature and then waving with his foot. It freaked me out.  :o

From the self-same tv ark webpage...here's the man (foot not included...!)

Obviously before the grey set in...bless...!

Written By: BME on 03/16/05 at 8:35 am

:o I tried that and nothing! thanks soo much been after a pic for ages...and Paul LOL Tuffty The Squirrel, had completely forgotten about him

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/tufty/manifesto/book2/page17_t.jpg

This is him with his rather shifty looking friend right?

Written By: karen on 03/16/05 at 9:40 am

without wishing to sound smug did you search for Charlie or Charley?  because the second spelling is the correct on and the one that found the pic.

I searched on CHarlie first of all and fouind lots of cute cat pics!  I remembered the tv-ark page existed but not the actual name so had to search for that using a different search term.  I've finally bookmarked that page because it looks v useful for reminisencing (sp?)

Written By: BME on 03/18/05 at 3:26 am

Think it was Charlie actually that I searched for DOH! *slaps forehead*

Remember that dreadfull rave tune that used Charley Says as a theme, what where they called?

Written By: karen on 03/18/05 at 3:48 am

Think it was Charlie actually that I searched for DOH! *slaps forehead*

I searched for Charlie as well because that's the usual way to spell it.  I actually searched for something completely different (London Weekend Television, I think) to find that tv-ark page.

Remember that dreadfull rave tune that used Charley Says as a theme, what where they called?

I can't recall that at all.  but then I tried to avoid listening to much rave music.

Written By: BME on 03/18/05 at 7:18 pm

LWT! bought an old VHS home vid copy of LWT'S Armchair Thriller recently on ebay *still chilling* especially 'Quiet As A Nun'

Still shaking LOL

Remember this?

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/5144/thames.gif

Written By: Paul on 03/18/05 at 7:28 pm

^
Vividly...!

I shall up the ante with this...

Written By: Bobby on 03/18/05 at 8:11 pm

From the self-same tv ark webpage...here's the man (foot not included...!)

Obviously before the grey set in...bless...!

Lol. Probably one of the earliest memories I have. Being little, I didn't realise it was Rolf himself!

That and the shocking one featuring the dangers of getting too close to outdoor pools. A girl was involved and the last thing you heard was a scream and the indication that the girl had fallen in.

I forgotten whether I saw that on TV Ark too.

Written By: karen on 03/20/05 at 9:09 am

LWT! bought an old VHS home vid copy of LWT'S Armchair Thriller recently on ebay *still chilling* especially 'Quiet As A Nun'

Still shaking LOL

Armchair thriller.  *shudders*  This was another programme that got me hiding behond the sofa!

^
Vividly...!

I shall up the ante with this...

ATV was my tv region when I was growing up.  Then it changed to Central Television at some point

Written By: BME on 03/20/05 at 10:52 am

This is just deranged :D yes?

http://www.videointerchange.com/images/Test-Card-F.jpg

Frightened the life out of me as a kid

Written By: Paul on 03/20/05 at 2:37 pm

This is just deranged :D yes?

You said it...!

Frightened the life out of me as a kid

I think it was Carol's eyes that did it...Carol being Carol Hersee, the girl in that TCF pic - I say 'girl', though she must be pushing fifty by now...!!

It's rarely seen these days, which is a pity...the TCF has more entertainment value than some of the cack that gets thrown around nowdays...!

You think I'm sad in remembering this? There's untold websites devoted to this sort of thing out there...not that I (ahem!) visit 'em, of course...!

Written By: BME on 03/20/05 at 7:30 pm

You think I'm sad in remembering this? There's untold websites devoted to this sort of thing out there...not that I (ahem!) visit 'em, of course...!

LMAO I did hear that there's a test card club that meet once a year to discuss this image LOL, surely that's just the 'worst' excuse to get together in a pub you've ever heard *chortle*

For me its the clown, it's just wrong, whoever thought this was a good idea for the nightly test card must currently be residing at the laughing academy...

Written By: karen on 04/05/05 at 4:47 am

Did anyone else watch Top 50 Kid's TV moments (or whatever it was called).  The Charlie Says ad for "never go with strangers" was number 13. 

In the top spot was the Blue Peter elephant (Lulu maybe?)

Written By: BME on 04/05/05 at 7:12 am

Think the elephant was called Lulu,

Saw a bit of it, was 'Willow the Wisp' in there? Mavis Crewit & Evil Edna...

Written By: karen on 04/05/05 at 7:31 am

No I don't think they were on it.  It was more like specific episodes that people voted for.  For example the episode of Byker Grove where one of Ant and Dec (were they called PJ and Duncan?) was shot in the eyes during a paintballing trip.  The Jim'll Fix-it with the cub pack trying eat tea on the rollercoaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach was another.

Some public information films that were mentioned were Charlie Says, some gang of kids playing on a farm (and most of them meet a grisly end), Green Cross Code man and Alvin Stardust.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/18/05 at 5:42 pm

me again

Nice one Karen..I have that video of Public Information films from the 60's and 70's and they are hysterically funny..I was crying laughing at them  ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/05 at 1:08 pm

Nice one Karen..I have that video of Public Information films from the 60's and 70's and they are hysterically funny..I was crying laughing at them   ;D ;D
There is a DVD floating around with stacks of Charlie Says on it.

Written By: Paul on 04/19/05 at 5:10 pm

Green Cross Code man and Alvin Stardust.

Ah yes, the Alvin episode...

'Hey! You two must be out of your tiny minds...!'

(I don't think there was ever one featuring Gary Glitter telling kids to stay away from strange men...! At least, I hope not...!!)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 01/15/06 at 4:16 am

I liked both "Charley says" and the ones with that man and his wife Petunia.  They were mainly about swimming I think.  I can't really remember many Tufty 'commercials' though I did have a board game featuring him.

Yeah Petunia and hubby are sat on the cliffs eating (slurping) ice-cream as the guy with his boat out at sea are capsizing in the far distance.
Petunia mistakenly thinks the drowning guy is waving pleasantries at her, when in fact he's screaming 'H-e-l-p  dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard,' but she remarks to husband 'Oooh look George there's a man over there waving to us - lovely day int it'  Hysterically funny.  ;D ;D ;D

Regarding Tufty (the little squirrel) I remember going to the school health dentist and you could join Tufty's club there.

Check for new replies or respond here...