inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody remember The DiFranco Family?

Written By: Triviamom on 03/15/05 at 4:46 pm

They sang "Heartbeat' in the 70's, and were fronted by brother Tony. He was a hottie, as far as an 11 year old was concerned... ;D

Subject: Re: Anybody remember The DiFranco Family?

Written By: gord on 03/15/05 at 4:58 pm

I vaguely remember them, can't remember any of the songs. They were fairly big about the same time as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 weren't they ? :)

Written By: Triviamom on 03/15/05 at 5:03 pm

Yes, toward the end of the Osmond/Jackson era. They had songs out at the same time as The Sylvers (Boogie Fever).

Written By: saver on 03/15/05 at 7:40 pm

When some festival took place in Santa Monica, CA( for kids) a couple years back, they found Tny and he sang his HEARTBEATS A LOVE BEAT song!

He's still around...how to find him is a good question, but someone knows... 8)

I still have 2 of his 45's

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/15/05 at 10:30 pm

http://www.cox-internet.com/stuckinthe70s/images/0872DEFPINUP.JPG

www.defranco.com/

Written By: jaytee on 03/15/05 at 10:33 pm

I loved "Heartbeat It's A Love Beat".  I thought Tony was super cute  :-[  There's a singer around now called Annie DiFranco - I wonder if she's part of the family?  ???

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/16/05 at 7:09 am

Yes.  yes I do

Written By: Paul on 03/16/05 at 7:25 am

Meant absolutely nothing over here, which is a shame because 'Heartbeat' is actually a very good effort...a lot more adventurous than some of the bilge that passed for 'teenybop'...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/05 at 12:23 pm

I have "Heartbeat" on an album and I can't listen to it without thinking of the words that a friend of mine and I made up many, many moons ago. "Heartburn is a love yearn and when we yearn it is a good sensation" (or something like that). I also remember Abra-ca-dabra. I found their website and it seems that Tony has become...um...should I say, yummy.

http://www.defranco.com/

Cat

Written By: saver on 03/17/05 at 3:43 pm

Who could forget that HELMET HAIR!?? :D

Written By: Sammy Reed on 03/25/05 at 10:44 pm

Those 2 twin (I'm guessing) gals were HOT! Last year, I saw 2 DiFranco albums in a yard sale, and was tempted to get them just for the gals on the covers, but stupidly didn't.  :\'(

Written By: Jean on 04/27/05 at 2:53 pm

Absolutely.  Just before they hit the big time, my family was on the way home to Youngstown, OH from Pittsburgh, PA when we passed this amusement park.  My dad stopped to let us stretch our legs.  The park was scheduled to open the next day, for the season.  Some workers were finishing testing the rides.  Nobody else was there. 

There was a band doing a rehersal on a large, out door stage.  We stopped to watch for a minute.  After the song, they took a break.  My sister and I walked a little farther into the park.  The youngest boy, who had been singing, came running up behind us.  He introduced himself.  His name was Tony DiFranco.  We were passing a ride and a worker spotted us and asked us if we wanted a free ride, 'cause he needed to test it anyway.  We spent the next couple hours goofing around and riding rides.

I didn't realize who Tony or the group was until sometime later, when they became popular.

Crazy, hunh?

Jean

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/05 at 5:54 pm

Absolutely.  Just before they hit the big time, my family was on the way home to Youngstown, OH from Pittsburgh, PA when we passed this amusement park.  My dad stopped to let us stretch our legs.  The park was scheduled to open the next day, for the season.  Some workers were finishing testing the rides.  Nobody else was there. 

There was a band doing a rehersal on a large, out door stage.  We stopped to watch for a minute.  After the song, they took a break.  My sister and I walked a little farther into the park.  The youngest boy, who had been singing, came running up behind us.  He introduced himself.  His name was Tony DiFranco.  We were passing a ride and a worker spotted us and asked us if we wanted a free ride, 'cause he needed to test it anyway.  We spent the next couple hours goofing around and riding rides.

I didn't realize who Tony or the group was until sometime later, when they became popular.

Crazy, hunh?

Jean

Cool story. Why don't you join the board?

Cat

Written By: Niagara on 05/08/05 at 7:35 pm

Ahhh, yes - the DiFranco Family - the pride of St. Catherines, Ontario!

They were absolutely HUGE in Canada - St. Catherine's is near my hometown of Niagara Falls - we thought they were pretty wanky, but a lot of younger kids liked them.

BYW - Ani DiFranco is a feminist singer/songwriter from Buffalo - no relation to the DiFrancos.

Subject: Re: Anybody remember The DiFranco's?

Written By: johnny on 01/05/11 at 10:03 am

What is tony defranco doing these days? is he from toronto?

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/25/11 at 7:56 pm

So funny that this thread came up because I have been thinking about the DiFranco family lately and have had "Heartbeat" playing in my head. The song was before my time but I have heard it a few times and can't help liking it  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...