inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: who had a bigger influence?jimi hendrix or the beatles?

Written By: brian5225 on 03/18/05 at 10:04 am

jimi hendrix or the beatles? who do you think had a bigger influence on music?

Subject: Re: who had a bigger influence?jimi hendrix or the beatles?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/18/05 at 10:16 am

the beatles obviously. jimi's influence is heard in the way guitars are played. as good as the beatles were in creating master pop tunes, they were pretty standard musicians, none of them stood out as being master musicians.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/18/05 at 10:52 am

I think both had a major influence on music. Everyone wasn't influenced by the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix, but rather the influences that the group and Jimi based their music on.

Tanya

Written By: brian5225 on 03/18/05 at 2:05 pm

personally i feel that jimi hendrix influenced more. the sounds that he was creating were never heard before, and yet they were being made when the beatles were making their pop music. also my answer may be a little biased because the beatles drive me insane becasue their songs are so unbelievably and incredibly monotonous. all the songs just repeat the same lines over and over again.

Brian

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/05 at 2:41 pm

I think it was the Beatles. The Beatles started out as pop-top 40 stuff. By the time they got into their creative mode (IMO Sgt. Pepper was the start even though some of their earlier stuff was also creative), most people were listening to them anyway so gave their new stuff a try. Hendrix on the other hand, was creative from the start so he wasn't as mainstream as the Beatles were.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/05 at 6:57 pm

^ Yeah. In fact, Jimi's only Top 40 hit - surprisingly - was "All Along the Watchtower". That had a commercial, semi pop edge to it while still being hard rock. Now, he had other songs that were a bit mainstream, such as "Foxy Lady" and "Purple Haze" but because he was more seen as a groundbreaking guitarist, his influence on the pop market wasn't as strong.

The Beatles started out as a 50's inspired pop/rock band (I don't like their early stuff as much -- just partly because I heard their latter era growing up way more). There was instant Beatlemania in 1964 and lasted a good 5-6 more years, although they were biggest with the pop market from about 64 to 66 I think.

In 1967, starting with Sgt. Pepper (although traces of this shift could be seen in Revolver too) was the beginning of their experimental, more "classic rock" era. In this stretch - especially on the White Album (my favorite!), I think they created more 'across the board' music than any band before them.

It had the high-energy sound that would later be called 'arena rock' (Back in the USSR, Birthday), British pop (Obladi Oblada), accoustic stuff (Dear Prudence, Mother Nature's Son), rock ballads (I'm so Tired), quiet soft ballads (Goodnight), and full out hard rock (Helter Skelter) and way more.

So in short, the Beatles influenced way more Top 40 and mainstream rock acts, while Hendrix was more influential on guitarists and hard rock/metal.

Written By: BME on 03/18/05 at 7:10 pm

Surely it should be "who influenced pop the most, The Beatles or The Stone's?" Funny enough I was just thinking today 'How'd the Beatles get from she loves you yeah yeah etc to I am the Walrus LOL?' (Drugs perhaps *cough*)

The metrosexual bar I work in the other day showed my 'Withnail & I' DVD on the big screen, so good to see that scene with the wrecking ball and 'The Watchtower playing in the background...

Sorry detracting from subject, 'The Beatles hands down IMO

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/19/05 at 10:14 am

I don't want to minimize Jimi Hendrix's influence at all.  It was HUGE.

That being said, I believe it had to be the BEATLES.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 4:16 pm

I don't want to minimize Jimi Hendrix's influence at all.  It was HUGE.

That being said, I believe it had to be the BEATLES.   :)
THAT is perfectly stated...I agree completely ;)

Written By: schmartypantz on 03/20/05 at 2:13 pm

ya..what American Girl said :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/22/05 at 4:55 pm

personally i feel that jimi hendrix influenced more. the sounds that he was creating were never heard before, and yet they were being made when the beatles were making their pop music. also my answer may be a little biased because the beatles drive me insane becasue their songs are so unbelievably and incredibly monotonous. all the songs just repeat the same lines over and over again.

Brian

What? Can't tell "She Loves You" from "Helter Skelter" ,  "Michele" from "Strawberry Fields" 
" Working Class Hero"-there is poetry in that

Written By: jackas on 03/22/05 at 5:02 pm

Definitely The Beatles! :)

Personally I like Jimi Hedrix better though, I don't care for The Beatles at all.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/22/05 at 5:55 pm

Definitely The Beatles! :)

Personally I like Jimi Hedrix better thought, I don't care for The Beatles at all.
I've never hit a woman, Chrissy :D And I never will ;)

Written By: hollidaygirl on 03/22/05 at 6:39 pm

I think that is just impossible to answer.  Sort of Apples and Oranges.  While the Beatles may seem an obvious choice, I think it might be because thier music is more ubiquitious in advertising  -  Hendrix's influence is a bit more subversive but I suspect that it has touched every guitar player who has come along after him.   

How many great artists would list both Hendrix and the Beatles as having a tremedous influence on the music they make now?  A lot I suspect.  I be curious to see what the "peers" of these two music heavyweights would say - for example; What would Eric Clapton think of this question?

The music we listen to today would not exist without The Beatles AND Jimi Hendrix.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/22/05 at 6:44 pm

I think that is just impossible to answer.  Sort of Apples and Oranges.  While the Beatles may seem an obvious choice, I think it might be because thier music is more ubiquitious in advertising  -  Hendrix's influence is a bit more subversive but I suspect that it has touched every guitar player who has come along after him.   

How many great artists would list both Hendrix and the Beatles as having a tremedous influence on the music they make now?  A lot I suspect.  I be curious to see what the "peers" of these two music heavyweights would say - for example; What would Eric Clapton think of this question?

The music we listen to today would not exist without The Beatles AND Jimi Hendrix.

Amen to that! Great response.

Tanya

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/22/05 at 9:40 pm

I think that is just impossible to answer.  Sort of Apples and Oranges.  While the Beatles may seem an obvious choice, I think it might be because their music is more ubiquitious in advertising  -  Hendrix's influence is a bit more subversive but I suspect that it has touched every guitar player who has come along after him.   

I agree  Elvis did as well some have mixed feelings about the man but he came from (poor) humble beginnings.And his contributions to Rock and Roll were phenomenal! 8)

Written By: jackas on 03/22/05 at 10:21 pm

I've never hit a woman, Chrissy :D And I never will ;)

;DSorry, Mark. :-\\  They're just not my bag, baby! ;D

I like Come Together, if that helps. :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/23/05 at 6:48 am

The Beatles, without a doubt, they were only around a short time, but by comparison, Hendrix was here about 5 minutes before he wasted himself away  ::)

Written By: Paul on 03/23/05 at 7:51 am

Hendrix was majorly influential in his own right as a guitarist (whereas none of The Beatles could honestly be described as 'virtuosos', 'specially Ringo...!)

But try this...

Go to any far flung corner of the planet and hum anyone a Beatles song, then a Hendrix song and see what gets recognised first...

Now that's influential...!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 11:45 am

;DSorry, Mark. :-\\  They're just not my bag, baby! ;D

I like Come Together, if that helps. :)
Understood, Lovely Lass ;)  You mean the song, right ;) :D

Written By: Al on 04/03/05 at 10:37 pm

The Beatles hands down.  Their music and creativity paved the way for numerous groundbreaking artists such as Hendrix that came later.  You gotta remember that prior to the Beatles there was surf music, folk music and those nauseating acts like the four freshmen.  All very non-threatening stuff.  Without the Beatles exploding on the scene Hendrix's stuff would've sounded like something from a freak show mixed in with what was then on the radio.  The Beatles showed that experimentation and going against the grain expands the appeal of many kinds of music.  That did not exist before them in the 60's. :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/03/05 at 11:50 pm

The question should be, 'Who had a bigger influence, the Beatles or every other single 60s artist?'

Written By: jymsmth on 04/06/05 at 5:58 am

jimi hendrix or the beatles? who do you think had a bigger influence on music?
Hendrix influenced guitarists{and still does}and studio techniques and sound effects,while the Beatles influenced clothing style.musicality,stereo 45's.length of airplay.and pioneering theme albums/not to mention marketing strategies and wartime peace advocacy.

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:20 pm

beatles

Written By: jjo on 05/20/06 at 12:56 pm

The Beatles. Are you kidding

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/06 at 9:48 am

It may had been possible that The Beatles influence Jimi Hendrix?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/21/06 at 1:29 pm

Excellent point!  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 5:51 pm

Possibly, but I know Hendrix was a huge Dylan fan, as well as being the guitarist for Little Richard for one stage, whose he style he emulated somewhat. Hendrix really shot to fame after Monterey - the year the Fab Four released Sgt. Pepper's (1967, if you're wondering), so they weren't that far apart.

Check for new replies or respond here...