inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Led Zeppelin-Early Days or Latter Days?

Written By: gord on 04/21/05 at 5:29 pm

Same idea as The Eagles thread, Zeppelin released the 2 greatest hits albums, Early Days and Latter Days. I don't own either of these, for me it's gotta be the studio albums,plus one live, the way they were released :)

Early Days album                                  Latter Days album
-Good Times Bad Times                        -The Song Remains The Same                           
-Babe I'm Gonna Leave You                  -No Quarter                     
-Dazed And Confused                            -Houses Of The Holy
-Communication Breakdown                  -Trampled Under Foot
-Whole Lotta Love                                -Kashmir
-What Is And What Should Never Be      -Ten Years Gone
-Immigrant Song                                  -Achilles Last Stand
-Since I've Been Loving You                    -Nobodys Fault But Mine
-Black Dog                                            -All My Love
-Rock &Roll                                          - In The Evening
-Battle Of Evermore
-When The Levee Breaks
-Stairway To Heaven

I can't believe they left 'Fool In The Rain' off of Latter Days

Subject: Re: Led Zeppelin-Early Days or Latter Days?

Written By: Paul on 04/21/05 at 5:41 pm

Zep has always been one of those groups that I could never get 'in depth' to (file alongside 'Floyd' and 'ELP')...

...so, sacreligious as it may be to some, the two-volume 'Best Of' was something of a godsend - even tho' I do have the first two LPs...

I can't really pick one from t'other, so it'll have to be both...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/21/05 at 6:41 pm

I voted for Latter Days because of "Kashmir" and "All Of My Love".  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/21/05 at 7:01 pm

early days, definitly. the last years of zep, they lost their blues edge.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 8:33 pm

Same idea as The Eagles thread, Zeppelin released the 2 greatest hits albums, Early Days and Latter Days. I don't own either of these, for me it's gotta be the studio albums,plus one live, the way they were released :)

Early Days album                                  Latter Days album
-Good Times Bad Times                        -The Song Remains The Same                           
-Babe I'm Gonna Leave You                  -No Quarter                     
-Dazed And Confused                            -Houses Of The Holy
-Communication Breakdown                  -Trampled Under Foot
-Whole Lotta Love                                -Kashmir
-What Is And What Should Never Be      -Ten Years Gone
-Immigrant Song                                  -Achilles Last Stand
-Since I've Been Loving You                    -Nobodys Fault But Mine
-Black Dog                                            -All My Love
-Rock &Roll                                          - In The Evening
-Battle Of Evermore
-When The Levee Breaks
-Stairway To Heaven

I can't believe they left 'Fool In The Rain' off of Latter Days
I completely agree...the studio albums cover it all ;)

Written By: jaytee on 04/21/05 at 11:32 pm

Early days.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/22/05 at 10:46 pm

I like both eras, though I love the earlier stuff more.

Tanya

Written By: Niagara on 05/08/05 at 7:43 pm

Having seen Zep in 1969, 1972 and 1973, I have to say the early stuff.  We went to see them the first time because we liked Jimmy from the Yardbirds - saw them at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo - if you have the Zep dvd, it was right about the time of the Royal Albert Hall performance, and the  show was about the same - one of my favorite concert memories from high school.

Written By: gord on 05/09/05 at 5:07 pm

Having seen Zep in 1969, 1972 and 1973

very cool :) I was going to go see them in Montreal in 1980 but as we know they didn't make that tour, that's as close as I came.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/14/05 at 7:37 am

I like them equally

Immigrant Song

Kashmir

etc etc  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/05 at 7:41 am

Both equal

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/05 at 7:18 am

I'm honestly a little hesitant to post this, but just so ya know, nothing personal. :) "We Built this City" is a longtime favorite of mine, and it's considered one of the cheesiest songs of all time - I don't really mind, LOL.

Boy, I've got the feeling I'm gonna be really unpopular here, but -- despite being a lifelong rock fan, of everything from the 50's to now, and a big appreciator of both classic and hard rock -- I honestly never much cared for Zeppelin.

I don't deny the guys' talent, but to me their style simply lacks both the fun/carefree sound of 80's rock as well as the more melodic/experimental sound of the 60's (i.e. the Beatles later work). Much of their material sounds the same. I guess, in short, I don't really feel "compelled" to listen when one of their songs come on the radio.

THAT SAID, on the rare occasion, I do like "Stairway to Heaven", "All of my Love" and "Black Dog", so, if that's 3 songs and 2 of them are on Early, default that would be my choice.

PS: I'll freely admit myself that, if I were on a stage, and everyone else here was the audience, I'd assume there'd be alot of beer cans and various garbage thrown my way in protest by now!  ;D

Written By: gord on 05/15/05 at 9:25 am

I'm honestly a little hesitant to post this

Boy, I've got the feeling I'm gonna be really unpopular here, but -- despite being a lifelong rock fan, of everything from the 50's to now, and a big appreciator of both classic and hard rock -- I honestly never much cared for Zeppelin.

PS: I'll freely admit myself that, if I were on a stage, and everyone else here was the audience, I'd assume there'd be alot of beer cans and various garbage thrown my way in protest by now!  ;D

that's cool Marty, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place :) now stand still, I've got a beer can coming your way ;)

Written By: holicman on 05/16/05 at 11:39 pm

Im a huge Zeppelin fan !!!!

with the songs given as a guide in the intro to the topic..........i cannot decide.

My 2 favourite pieces of music are of course stairway to heaven and Kashmir, which is for its time, intensely and insanely brilliant.
Jimmy page is a true genius.

going on that, i like both, so i voted for equality.

Written By: Madjock on 05/19/05 at 5:57 pm

same here holicman, I personally think that Physical G. is the greatest album of all time, closely followed by 'wish you were here' & 'a farewell to kings', but hey      theres no accounting for taste ;)

Written By: Bron-Y-Aur Stomp on 05/27/05 at 8:40 am

Just going on track lists, itd have to be both. Love Kashmir, Song Remians The Same, No Quarter, and Houses Of The Holy. I also LOVE Immigrant Song, Battle Of Evermore, Communication Breakdown and Whole Lotta Love.

My favorite Led Zeppelin album is 3. So I guess you can tell I have a leaning towards their more accoustic stuff. I LOVE Immigrant Song and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (hence my nic).

Really, if Page is playin guitar, Plant is singin, Jones is on base, and Bonham is playin drums on any given song, then its bound to be good. And even the songs where Bonham isnt on drums, the other 3 compensate for his absence very well.

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:16 pm

both equal

Check for new replies or respond here...