inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has 'Bat Out Of Hell' aged well for you ?

Written By: gord on 04/23/05 at 7:45 am

A huge album when I was a teenager, everyone had a copy of it. I still think its very good and I throw it on every once in a while but it seems a bit dated. Am I ok? Should I seek help? ;) :)

Subject: Re: Has 'Bat Out Of Hell' aged well for you ?

Written By: mandamoo on 04/23/05 at 8:13 am

It's aged well for me. I love every song on it. ;)

I have it on CD now as my album was played to death  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 04/23/05 at 9:11 am

Never liked it

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/23/05 at 1:17 pm

I liked "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" but they wore the rest out so much that If I never hear any other song off of it, I won't be sad.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/23/05 at 1:28 pm

I played two albums thru the 70s and 80s and a cd thru the 90s to death - had to buy a new cd last year !

Its played at least weekly in my house.

Love the Loaf.  Have seen him in concert MANY times in the past 21 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/05 at 1:40 pm

I have it on vinyl-and it is probably scratched up from over-playing it. But then I got it on CD that was stolen from me  >:( so I had to get it on CD once again. I absolutely love it-the entire album. I still play it and still sing along with it. But, I have to admit, when I listen to it, it just takes me back to another place and another time (my high school days). But, to me, this is one of the all-time best albums EVER.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/05 at 1:43 pm

It has aged on me, like a wart on a face.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/23/05 at 2:57 pm

Love that cd, I went through many copies over the years, between me and two of my sisters, we were buying it every couple months. I still have a copy of it, also have Back into hell and one album of Meatloaf that wasn't as good-Midnight at the lost and found.

Written By: gord on 04/23/05 at 4:52 pm

Good to hear all the thoughts, good or bad on the album. And whitewolf, you mentioned some of Meatloafs newer stuff, I've never heard it other than the hit song that got some radio play from 'Back Into Hell'. I'm wondering did Jim Steinman write all the newer stuff ? Having Todd Rundgren produce the original was a big plus, I'm guessing he wasn't involved in the newer stuff but not sure :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/05 at 5:54 pm

I saw Meatloaf in concert on his "Back into Hell" tour. I do like the album but it definatelly wasn't as good as the first. But, no matter what tour it is, Meatloaf puts on on hell of a show. I recommend seeing him if you get a chance.

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 04/23/05 at 6:23 pm

Good to hear all the thoughts, good or bad on the album. And whitewolf, you mentioned some of Meatloafs newer stuff, I've never heard it other than the hit song that got some radio play from 'Back Into Hell'. I'm wondering did Jim Steinman write all the newer stuff ? Having Todd Rundgren produce the original was a big plus, I'm guessing he wasn't involved in the newer stuff but not sure :)

As far as I know Jim Steinman did get back together with Meatloaf to put together Bat out of Hell 2-Back into hell.

Written By: AL-B on 04/23/05 at 10:41 pm

It's funny, but about a month or so back I was watching VH1 Classic and they showed the original video for "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth."  And as I was watching Meat Loaf strutting and preening around on stage, it started to look vaguely familiar. Then it hit me. Meat Loaf's stage moves totally reminded me of Jack Black in "School Of Rock," and when I made this realization I started laughing really hard.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/23/05 at 10:44 pm

I think it's still good.

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/24/05 at 12:28 am

A huge album when I was a teenager, everyone had a copy of it. I still think its very good and I throw it on every once in a while but it seems a bit dated. Am I ok? Should I seek help? ;) :)

hey,Gord..you were cool then and now  ;)

Written By: gord on 04/24/05 at 6:33 am

Thanks Maria ;) but what about the album, I need your opinion :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/24/05 at 7:46 am

Thanks Maria ;) but what about the album, I need your opinion :)

;D

i think it's a good album with a few really good songs but i have to go with a bit dated  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/24/05 at 8:28 am

But, I have to admit, when I listen to it, it just takes me back to another place and another time (my high school days). But, to me, this is one of the all-time best albums EVER.
Cat

Aint that the truth.  I was sitting here thinking about each song on the album and how each one has a particular significance to me. One was sung to me by my first boyfriend, another was sung at a friends funeral - and Paradise is like Bohemian Rapsody - what is a BBQ without a huge singalong at the top of your lungs.

I saw Meatloaf in concert on his "Back into Hell" tour. I do like the album but it definatelly wasn't as good as the first. But, no matter what tour it is, Meatloaf puts on on hell of a show. I recommend seeing him if you get a chance.
Cat

I love his concerts. I saw him live in 1985, 1987, 1993, 1996 and last year on his retirement tour :(. No show has ever been identical to the last - he always makes a full production out of each number - acing out its storyline etc.  I had the pleasure of sitting in on a sound check in 1993 and he was a true gentleman. He pops into his message board quite often and is lovely to have a gossip with.

Not sure about the US - but in Aus - Bat Outa Hell is still to this day the highest selling album of all time at 19 times platinum and the only album to go multi platinum at number 1 twice, 2 decades apart.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/05 at 1:18 pm

Aint that the truth.  I was sitting here thinking about each song on the album and how each one has a particular significance to me. One was sung to me by my first boyfriend, another was sung at a friends funeral - and Paradise is like Bohemian Rapsody - what is a BBQ without a huge singalong at the top of your lungs.

I can't remember how many times a bunch of friends and I would be walking down the road and all of a sudden, one of us would practactly yell, "STOP RIGHT THERE! I GOTTA KNOW RIGHT NOW" and we would go through the entire Paradise song.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/25/05 at 2:58 am

I can't remember how many times a bunch of friends and I would be walking down the road and all of a sudden, one of us would practactly yell, "STOP RIGHT THERE! I GOTTA KNOW RIGHT NOW" and we would go through the entire Paradise song.
Cat

hehehe I can totally picture that !!!  I was once at a "shed bbq" ie miles away in the bush where someone owned a HUGE shed - party with about 60 people that went for 3 days. My friend and I sat on the roof under the stars - drunk as skunks - and did Paradise from start to finish at the top of our lungs - several times in a row.  When we woke the next day we were voiceless (I am sure the party guests were thrilled !!) and I remained without a voice for over a week - doctor said I had severely strained my vocal chords. I told him it was all Mr Loafs fault !!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/25/05 at 7:38 am

It's aged well for me. I love every song on it. ;)

I have it on CD now as my album was played to death  ;D

Never liked it

Whoops !  Sorry Mooey, gotta go with the prevailing Brisbane view I am afraid  ;D

Not only did I never like it either, I will go a couple of steps further - anyways felt Meatloaf was somewhat over-rated and that his song were pretentiously long  :o :o :o :P

So no, it hasn't aged well  ;)

Written By: gord on 04/25/05 at 4:45 pm

Not only did I never like it either, I will go a couple of steps further - anyways felt Meatloaf was somewhat over-rated and that his song were pretentiously long  :o :o :o :P

are you sure? you seem a little un-decided ;) ;D

Written By: Climber on 04/25/05 at 8:12 pm

I like this one still... :)

Written By: jaytee on 04/26/05 at 11:25 pm

Whoops !  Sorry Mooey, gotta go with the prevailing Brisbane view I am afraid  ;D

So no, it hasn't aged well  ;)

Thank goodness someone agrees with me  :)  Honestly, I could never see what all the fuss was about ???

Written By: Banks on 04/29/05 at 8:55 am

I absolutely LOVE Bat Out Of Hell. It is one of those albums that has aged very well IMO. Although, even at the time, it seemed to me that it could have come from the late 1950's. I also have one or two other Meatloaf albums from the early 1980's, plus I have Back Into Hell (Limited Edition Down Under Reverse Cover edition) and The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack (love Hot Patootie).

I was only 6 when BOOH (LOL) first came out so it reminds me of being a kid and my Mum would play this album over and over when her friends came over. I remember going to see him live when I was very young, but couldnt tell you what the year was, but at a guess it was anywhere from 1978 to 1981.

Every song on Bat Out Of Hell holds special memories for me. For example, Bat Out Of Hell reminds me of driving with my Dad through my east coast Australia town, driving down Hunter Street (out towns main strip) watching all the hotted up Toranas and other cars racing each other. Hot Summer Night reminds me of my first girlfriend. Two Out of Three Aint Bad reminds me of laying warm and snug in my Mums bed feeling safe late at night while she left the radio on snooze so I could listen to the music for an hour.

Yeah...BOOH is an album for its time, and although it sounds like a hyped up 50's recording, it is still an album for today.

AN

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/29/05 at 9:04 am

are you sure? you seem a little un-decided ;) ;D

;D  I haveta work on that hey Gord  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/29/05 at 9:06 am

Bat Out Of Hell reminds me of driving with my Dad through my east coast Australia town, driving down Hunter Street (out towns main strip) watching all the hotted up Toranas and other cars racing each other.

OK, Alright !  But you had your very own song by Bob Hudson that dealt with those issues.  You didn't needs ome overweight American re-hashing it for you  ;D

And the Newcastle Song came out earlier as well  :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/29/05 at 9:07 am

Thank goodness someone agrees with me  :)  Honestly, I could never see what all the fuss was about ???

Welcome jaytee.  Nice pun, too  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 04/30/05 at 7:17 am

Whoops ! Sorry Mooey, gotta go with the prevailing Brisbane view I am afraid ;D

Not only did I never like it either, I will go a couple of steps further - anyways felt Meatloaf was somewhat over-rated and that his song were pretentiously long :o :o :o :P

So no, it hasn't aged well ;)

That's okay  ;)

I've got to admit that I think he peaked there and I never much cared for the stuff he did after that  :o

OK, Alright ! But you had your very own song by Bob Hudson that dealt with those issues. You didn't needs ome overweight American re-hashing it for you ;D

And the Newcastle Song came out earlier as well :o

Yep ! 1975 for Bob and '76 for Meatloaf  :)

Written By: gord on 04/30/05 at 10:40 am

Again, it's great to hear everyones thoughts on the album :)

Subject: Has 'Bat Out Of Hell' aged well for you ?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 11:05 am

Never liked it

I like it but side 1 is LOW VOLUME and im not sure why!!

I had 2 copies of this album and both were the same..... Its a shame as I love the album!!

Check for new replies or respond here...