inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/08/05 at 3:01 pm

I just saw a very disturbing movie last night. It was called "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" starring Diane Keaton. The ending freaked me out where I couldn't sleep. Does anyone remember this movie?

Tanya

Subject: Re: Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 3:04 pm

I just saw a very disturbing movie last night. It was called "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" starring Diane Keaton. The ending freaked me out where I couldn't sleep. Does anyone remember this movie?

Tanya
Was that the film directed by Woody Allen?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/08/05 at 3:07 pm

I love anything by that genius Mr Allen

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/08/05 at 3:07 pm

No. This was a drama based on a real story and book. It's not a Woody Allen type film for sure.

Tanya

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 3:10 pm

No. This was a drama based on a real story and book. It's not a Woody Allen type film for sure.

Tanya
Richard Brooks was the director, it was Diane Keaton in the film that made me think of Woody Allen, for she appeared in plenty od WA' s films.

Written By: zcrito on 05/08/05 at 3:16 pm

I saw it on television about 17 years ago. It's supposedly "based" on a true story. They say it also hurt Diane Keaton's career somewhat. She went straight from Annie Hall to that movie. From funny to depressing a little too fast.

A Woody Allen film? No, it was directed by Richard "In Cold Blood" Brooks.

It's a '70s movie I never cared for.

Written By: birdman on 05/11/05 at 3:17 pm

Yes, it is based on a true story.  I cannot remember the womans real name (played by Diane Keaten).  Look up the the book ROTTON APPLES.
It is about notorious crimes in New York City and this one is in there. :o  It freaked me out when I first saw it in 1979.

Written By: jaytee on 05/11/05 at 7:49 pm

I remember seeing it - it was one of the first R rated movies I ever went to.  It did freak me out a little.  :P

Written By: cin on 05/28/05 at 8:30 pm

The movie is a great example of the 70's sexual revolution, a woman's feelings of lonliness and self-worth, and the danger some people don't think about with one-night stands.  The book is great, but it is not for the weak and it is very explicit.  It goes deeper into the murderer's mind, actually starting with his confession.  As with any movie that was based on a novel, it isn't as detailed.  The book tells more of Terri's family and childhood and personal life.  Yes, the ending is really disturbing, i agree, and it is hard to sit in the dark, late at night, watching that ending!  (I hope you got to sleep after watching the movie.) ;) Woody Allen movies came years after playing dramatic roles.   Remember that Keaton played Kay Corleone in '72.  Notice in the movie she takes a copy of "the Godfather" to the bar.  Gere's character says he saw the movie.  Ironic, Keaton was in that movie. That role didn't hurt her career at all.  She is still going strong.  That's all... your post interested me... have a great day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/05 at 1:32 pm

I remember hearing about the movie but I don't think I have ever seen it.

I keep thinking about Frank Zappa's Dancing Fool- "Looking for Mr. Goodbar? Well, here he is"

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/29/05 at 5:02 pm

The movie is a great example of the 70's sexual revolution, a woman's feelings of lonliness and self-worth, and the danger some people don't think about with one-night stands.  The book is great, but it is not for the weak and it is very explicit.  It goes deeper into the murderer's mind, actually starting with his confession.  As with any movie that was based on a novel, it isn't as detailed.  The book tells more of Terri's family and childhood and personal life.  Yes, the ending is really disturbing, i agree, and it is hard to sit in the dark, late at night, watching that ending!  (I hope you got to sleep after watching the movie.) ;) Woody Allen movies came years after playing dramatic roles.   Remember that Keaton played Kay Corleone in '72.  Notice in the movie she takes a copy of "the Godfather" to the bar.  Gere's character says he saw the movie.  Ironic, Keaton was in that movie. That role didn't hurt her career at all.  She is still going strong.  That's all... your post interested me... have a great day.

I'm glad my post interested you! It's was weird looking at Ms. Keaton's other movies right after I saw that. The next day "Father of the Bride 2" was on and honestly, it was hard to look at her in it (though I like the movie!). Yes, I did get to go to sleep; however, it was at about 5 pm. Thankfully, ithe movie came on late Saturday night!

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...