inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The peak of 70's culture?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/08/05 at 7:20 pm

I think the 70's was actually one of the longer decades in terms of feel.

The hippie/free love feel of the late 60's was pretty much gone by 1971. Traces of it, such as teens being into smoking p*t, drag racing, and the s*xual revolution were still around (not to say that 90's movies set in the 70's, such as Dazed & Confused are picture perfect examples, but I'm sure there was at least a little truth of the times in there!).  ;D

I call this the more "classic rock" 70's - like an updated late 60's, but with its own feel. These were roughly the 1971-75 years, from what I can tell.

1976-78 (and to a lesser degree, as late as 1981/82) were the "Disco" years, where it was more a precursor to the 80's. In fact, it's more like the halfway point of the 60's and the 80's. TV shows like MASH were all the rage, as was Three's Company. Video games, VCR's, boomboxes and other "80s" technology was on the horizon, or in its primitive stages.

My question is, which point in the 1971-82 time frame was the most "70s-like"? For instance, I would tell a teenager in 2020 that the 90's peaked in 1993, and the 80's in about 1984/85. The 70's, I'd say 1976 - when the two parts of the 70's sort of came together.

Does this sound accurate?

Subject: Re: The peak of 70's culture?

Written By: bj26 on 05/13/05 at 9:25 am

I'd say 70 to 75 had a definite carryover from the 60s, though more refined, kind of breadth of fresh air from the turbulence of the prior decade, everyone was trying to catch their breadth.  Then all of a sudden 1975 hit and from there more radical changes, bang new pop culture and turbulence all over again, not violent, just more radical changes again, dawn of the computer age.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/13/05 at 1:42 pm

I'd say 1976...the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac went from a blues to more of a rock feel..new groups like Boston, Foreigner and later Jouney carried out the end of the decade. I really hate the term "Corporate" Rock or "Arena Rock" bands...they all had the talent, so what if they played the huge venues :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/05 at 7:03 am

I'd say 1976...the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac went from a blues to more of a rock feel..new groups like Boston, Foreigner and later Jouney carried out the end of the decade.

I agree. Even 1975 to '76 seems like a shift from what I've seen.

Songs like Boston's "Peace of Mind", Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner," and Foreigner's "Double Vision" seemed like a forerunner to what we'd call arena rock in the 80's.

I agree too that "corporate rock" was a silly label. I always was a more mainstream pop-rock fan anyway, so I see nothing wrong with it. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...