inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone ever seen "Chmielewski Funtime"?

Written By: Sammy Reed on 05/11/05 at 7:19 pm

I got a record at a store that sells mostly old & new country CD's but also sells old records of all types. One of those was apparently a polka album by - and man is this a chore to type correctly - the Chmielewskis. (I have at least triple-checked every time I typed that name so far.)
The liner notes mention their TV show, "Chmielewski Funtime". The back cover goes on to say, "Since their last album release, they had their TV network expanded to areas covering the upper midwest and Canada."
And another intriguing thing: "There is always a ''spot'' open on their show for a budding singer or instrurmental group to get their chance to appear on TV and many have had their careers blossom because of this appearance on the show." One can only imagine - or have nightmares about - this.
 Who knows, maybe this TV show was a hidden treasure of neat stuff that most of us never had the opportunity to see. Anyway, I wonder if anyone out there has seen this "Chmielewski Funtime" show, and has comments about it? I'd love to read them.

Subject: Re: Has anyone ever seen "Chmielewski Funtime"?

Written By: bob on 10/18/05 at 12:00 am

Oh yes!  I'm from Minnesota--grew up watching this show.  It has a cheap quality to it that makes it almost painful to watch, but I love it.  The Chmieleweski orchestra is still at it.  Florian is in his late 70s now and plays near 100 dates a year.

Written By: Arvid Nelsen on 01/24/06 at 9:41 pm

Hi there,

I grew up watching the show.  I grew up on the North Sore of Lake Superior and we got TV channels from Duluth, MN.  My mother was from Meadowlands, MN, near the taping of the show.  I grew up going to polka masses and weddings and I love the show.  It is a bit silly, but in a really fun way.  I recently went home to Minnesota for Christmas and went to a polka bar for Friday night fun -- in Minnesota even the college students thinks it's fun, if only for camp value.  The night was like going to a northern Minnesota wedding ceremony.  Couples danced traditional polka like I remember, but also the "showy" polka I remember from the show -- sadly there were no fabulous costumes!  I'd love to get tapes or DVDs of the show.

Cheer!
Arvid

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/05/06 at 8:23 pm

I might as well ask:

How do you pronounce "Chmielewski"?

Written By: b on 06/07/06 at 10:20 pm

I might as well ask:

How do you pronounce "Chmielewski"?

Shimm-a-Less-key.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/08/06 at 12:04 pm

Shimm-a-Less-key.

THANKS!

Written By: Dan Biesheuvel on 06/20/06 at 7:31 am

I grew up south of Strasburg, North Dakota.  Strasburg is the home town of Lawrence Welk, another even more famous polka/waltz band leader.  As a child our whole family watched the Chmielewski Funtime on KFYR-TV out of Bismarck, ND.  It was kind of corny, but I enjoyed the music and learned a lot about playing drums by just watching their drummer. 

Back in the mid '80's, the Chmielewskis came to Bismarck where I live, and our church band was playing at the same show as the Chmielewskis.  During their sound check, the drummer was nowhere to be found.  I got to do the drum check for the Chmielewski Funtime Band!

I still enjoy polka music because of the memories of my dad and mom dancing to the music on Chmielewski Funtime Show.

Check for new replies or respond here...