inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember XLNT Tamales??

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/14/05 at 5:17 pm

Does anyone else remember the XLNT Tamales? They were wrapped in a white wrapper. You could buy 1 large one or buy a pack of 3 small ones. You either got them at a grocery store, or they would sell them hot in a crock pot at convenience stores. These were the best tamales I ever ate in my life. The last time I ever ate one was in 1995. I haven't seen them since. Back in the 90's, the only store that had them was Albertson's. I posted this on the 80's board, but no one remembered them. I think they must have originated in the 70's. Does anyone know if these are still being made? When I think back at my fond memories of my late 70's/80's childhood, I always remember these tamales.

Subject: Re: Remember XLNT Tamales??

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/20/05 at 5:57 pm

how on earth can no one remember? Are most of the people here from a foreign country or something?

Written By: gord on 05/20/05 at 7:18 pm

how on earth can no one remember? Are most of the people here from a foreign country or something?

Canadian here, tamales weren't a hot item up here :)

Written By: "R" on 05/22/05 at 3:48 pm

;)

GUESS WHAT - I FOUND OUT THAT YOU CAN BUY THESE IN THE NEW SUPERWALMARTS - THEY ARE CARRYING THEM NOW.....CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE MY PURCHASE.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/22/05 at 7:29 pm

What part of the country do you live in? I'm in California.

Written By: bribos on 05/29/05 at 8:33 am

;)

GUESS WHAT - I FOUND OUT THAT YOU CAN BUY THESE IN THE NEW SUPERWALMARTS - THEY ARE CARRYING THEM NOW.....CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE MY PURCHASE.

YOU HAVE SOOOOOOOO MADE MY DAY!!! I MOVED TO OHIO FROM SO CAL A WHILE BACK AND THOUGHT I HAD SEEN THE LAST
OF THE BEST TAMALES ON THIS OR ANY OTHER PLANET...AND NOW YOU TELL ME I CAN FIND THEM AT SUPER WALMART!!!
WHOOOOOOWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! TRIED TO SEARCH THE WEBSITE BUT COULDNT FIND ANYTHING...IM HEADED UP THERE
SOON AS THE WIFE GETS UP. THANKX A LOT!!!
P E A C E 

Written By: lindquist on 06/17/05 at 9:45 am

I just ate one yesterday. We got them at Smart and Final which is a bulk store with no membership required. They sell them in a package of 12.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/17/05 at 7:08 pm

I'll have to check it out. There is one in my area. What state do you live in? They really sell them in packs of 12? Cool! Back in the good old days you either got one large tamale or a pack of 3 smaller ones. How do they taste now?

Written By: Kansas Dan on 06/22/05 at 10:56 am

Yes and i was eating them in the early 60's

here is there web address - - http://www.donmiguel.com/

i am trying to buy a case and have it shipped to me in kansas

Written By: Kansas Dan on 06/22/05 at 10:58 am

You can find them at this web address - - http://www.donmiguel.com/

Does anyone else remember the XLNT Tamales? They were wrapped in a white wrapper. You could buy 1 large one or buy a pack of 3 small ones. You either got them at a grocery store, or they would sell them hot in a crock pot at convenience stores. These were the best tamales I ever ate in my life. The last time I ever ate one was in 1995. I haven't seen them since. Back in the 90's, the only store that had them was Albertson's. I posted this on the 80's board, but no one remembered them. I think they must have originated in the 70's. Does anyone know if these are still being made? When I think back at my fond memories of my late 70's/80's childhood, I always remember these tamales.

Written By: thom on 07/31/05 at 4:38 pm

YOU COULD ALSO GET JUST THE CHILE IN A LITTLE PLASTIC TUB, THIS HAS TRULY BIN A BLAST FROM THE PAST MY MOUTH IS WATERING ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD. I GOTTA GO GET A TOWEL

Written By: Mike on 08/04/05 at 5:58 am

The company that makes XLNT tamales started making then in 1909 and can be reached at (714) 634-8441.  They are still marketed all over So. Cal.

Written By: Laurie Mitchell on 08/23/05 at 10:43 am

The company that makes XLNT tamales started making then in 1909 and can be reached at (714) 634-8441.  They are still marketed all over So. Cal.

I was born and raised in SoCal and ate XLNT tamales my entire life until moving to NM.
So far have not found where to buy them here, and I sure do miss them.

Written By: jackas on 08/23/05 at 1:28 pm

I remember those, but then I grew up in Southern Cal.  I've never eaten them though.

Written By: jeflof on 08/29/05 at 6:01 pm

They were the best!  I had one nearly everday of high school, '60 thru '64, at our high schools snack bar.  Norwalk High in Norwalk, CA.  I more recently saw them at Albertson's in Arizona.  They were smaller but still great.  That was a few years ago and I haven't seen them since.

Written By: diabloscope on 10/01/05 at 1:13 am

Dude They still sell them !!    I Buy  them all the time  Ralphs / albertsons    Regular  Walmarts too !!  Im in  Los Angeles    The'yre still good and they still taste the same !!!!!  HaH ! even the wrapper is the same !!!

Written By: Lu on 10/09/05 at 3:59 pm

I was from Southern California & I used these in my Tamale Pie 1 year ago.  I have moved to Az. & can't find them any where!!!!  I've been on the search for them, I'll have to have them mailed from my friends in So. Cal?

Written By: TurkeyDude on 10/24/05 at 2:33 pm

I'm 49 now and living in Wisconsin by way of 30 years in Texas. I was born in Santa Monica and up thru my teenage years my mom would by us these tamales. Over the years I've tried to find an area distributor and eveidently their marketing area does not extend much off the west coast. I sure wish i had a case of them....

Written By: dave the tamale eater on 03/20/06 at 7:17 pm

I've been on the search for them, I'll have to have them mailed from my friends in So. Cal?

That is exactly what I do in order to have these tasty treats in Seattle.  I have family members in CA ship these to me four or five dozen at a time in a styrofoam shipping container.  Then I return the container with fresh salmon and Uli's sausages from Pike Place Market.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 03/24/06 at 10:27 pm

Well, the verdict is in. I finally found a store that sells these here in Modesto,Ca, so I bought some. I was very disappointed. They do not taste like they used to. They are bland. The coating is almost the same, but the filling is pretty bad. When they were cooking, it had a hint of that smell we all loved, but when you take the first bite is when reality sets in. Anyone here on a scavenger hunt for these tamales should just call it quits and remember them for what they were.

To be honest, I wish I had never found them again. I enjoy the nostalgic memories of the different foods we all enjoyed in the past, and it takes away from that when you finally find it and it doesn't live up to expectations.

Subject: Re: Remember XLNT Tamales?? Ok if you want them I can get them

Written By: Kathleen on 04/18/06 at 4:47 am

Just because I sympathize with people who cannot find these luscious morsels I've been eating since I was young, if you email me i can find out how much it would be to ship these puppies. I live in L.A. and can always get them. Maybe I should put them up on ebay!  :)

Written By: Jerry Aylesworth on 04/20/06 at 5:22 am

Well, the verdict is in. I finally found a store that sells these here in Modesto,Ca, so I bought some. I was very disappointed. They do not taste like they used to. They are bland. The coating is almost the same, but the filling is pretty bad. When they were cooking, it had a hint of that smell we all loved, but when you take the first bite is when reality sets in. Anyone here on a scavenger hunt for these tamales should just call it quits and remember them for what they were.

To be honest, I wish I had never found them again. I enjoy the nostalgic memories of the different foods we all enjoyed in the past, and it takes away from that when you finally find it and it doesn't live up to expectations.

WHERE DO I BUY TAMALE<IN MODESTO,Ca

Written By: Carl Larsen on 05/05/06 at 1:17 pm

I ate these as a child, living in San Pedro in the late 1940's - early 1950's. I've often thought of them, and have never found tamales that were their equal. I'm going to google the name, and perhaps find a way to order some on line. There was a small snack shack on Western Boulevard in those days, right next to Banning Homes, that sold these wonderful tamales.

Carl Larsen

Written By: tamale on 05/06/06 at 7:45 pm

Yes I remember them well. they were sold in our High school Cafatera back in the 60's. (Hawthorne High School, Class of 1968) Im trying to locate them myself.

Written By: Tfrontier on 05/18/06 at 10:55 am

Yes I remember them and in fact just found out they are made in Los Angeles.  I found them this weekend in an indian villiage in the Grand Canyon.  They are my favorite and since I moved here to Arizona this was the first time I saw them.  Nobody here has heard of them and the stores just dont carry them.  I know Ralphs and Albertsons in California did carry them last year when I still lived there.  Anyway good luck in finding them... :)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/06 at 4:39 am

WHERE DO I BUY TAMALE<IN MODESTO,Ca
Sorry to have taken so long to reply. I havent been online in awhile. You are a guest, so you might not even be at this site anymore. You can get them at Smart and Final on 9th street.

Written By: Fredericksen on 10/24/06 at 3:56 pm

I loved these things.  Every time I visited my mother in Simi, I would go to Albertsons and buy a whole bunch of the big ones.  I loved to have them with fried eggs and taco sauce or salsa.  I first discovered them when in high school (John Marxhall) in the 50's.  The last time I purchased some in Simi was in the late 80's.  I've been looking for a source for buying by mail order, but no luck yet.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/24/06 at 5:02 pm

I remember them.  I also remember Jalisco cheese.   8)

Like any "Ethnic" food, availability depends on where you are.  In a place like LA, you will find all kinds of ethnic foods.  But do not expect to find much Kosher food in Idaho, or "authentic" Mexican food in Alabama.  I have not had a decent Mexican dinner since I life California.

And what is up with all the "guests" on this topic?  Surely XLNT tamales can't be this popular?

Written By: Bob Pippin on 11/13/06 at 9:48 am

YES! They are still available in So. Calif. (at least. Here is their contact info:

Don Miguel Mexican Foods - Food Service Directory of fast food brands, restaurant franchises and chains, restaurants
2125 E. Orangewood Ave.
Anaheim, California 92806
United States
(714) 634-8441

You are right... These are the best tamales EVER.

-bob now in Broken Arrow, OK

Written By: Steve on 01/29/07 at 5:14 pm

Can someone post the recipe for tamale soup that used to be on the XLNT tamale package?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/30/07 at 8:12 pm

And what is up with all the "guests" on this topic?  Surely XLNT tamales can't be this popular?
Never doubt the nostalgic memory of food. :P If food companies realized this, there is a vast reserve of potential money that hasn't been tapped. Tons of people wish Hostess had never discontinued their pudding pies, yet they never bring the item back.

Written By: Marian on 01/31/07 at 3:07 pm

YES! They are still available in So. Calif. (at least. Here is their contact info:

Don Miguel Mexican Foods - Food Service Directory of fast food brands, restaurant franchises and chains, restaurants
2125 E. Orangewood Ave.
Anaheim, California 92806
United States
(714) 634-8441

You are right... These are the best tamales EVER.they have don Miguel at safeway.

-bob now in Broken Arrow, OK

Written By: Katabatic on 02/07/07 at 7:55 pm

You can buy XLNT Tamales at Tommy's Burger stands Thur out Cal. You can not buy them in Knoxville TN.. Ive tried to get my local Kroger to but no luck. I grew up in Silver lake Ca. next to Hollywood and Glendale. After School we'd head for Tommy's for a chili burger or tamales. Jays on Santa Monica and virgil for chili burgers with fried eggs on top or Pinks for HotDogs. I miss the eats in LA, They eat soft bread and Mayo here in Knoxville  :-\\its just not right! :\'(..My father in law bragged about the best sandwich place here, said they made the best  rueban  anywhere.. It was a hotdog but with an oz of dry corned beef and sauerkraut with MAYO!.. I'm white but not that white.  ::)

Written By: Tamara Stevenson on 11/29/07 at 8:49 am

Soooo cool to know there are others out there who love the XLNT products as much as I.  I grew up in Anaheim enjoying this product.  I now live in Georgia and used to have my parents fly them out to me.  I miss them!

Written By: XLNT Foods on 12/06/07 at 2:26 pm

This is truly wonderful thread.  I work for XLNT Foods, corp. which makes XLNT beef tamales.  We aren't part of Don Miguel anymore, so I'm gong to post the email that our customer service rep answers. 

info@spammerfoods

To correct a couple of things on the thread that are different.  Tommy's doesn't carry XLNT tamales anymore, but please ask for ours if you want them to switch back!  We sell our product throughout Southern California.  You can find our product in Arizona, Nevada, and Northern California at different times of the year depending on where our customers decided to distribute among their stores.  We can not ship product to individuals, because of cost.  Only FedEx will ship frozen foods, and it is incredibly expensive. 

In the next couple of months we will be rolling out a new website, where fans of XLNT will be able to swap recipes and stories. 

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 12/24/07 at 6:28 pm

This is truly wonderful thread.  I work for XLNT Foods, corp. which makes XLNT beef tamales.  We aren't part of Don Miguel anymore, so I'm gong to post the email that our customer service rep answers. 

info@spammerfoods

To correct a couple of things on the thread that are different.  Tommy's doesn't carry XLNT tamales anymore, but please ask for ours if you want them to switch back!  We sell our product throughout Southern California.  You can find our product in Arizona, Nevada, and Northern California at different times of the year depending on where our customers decided to distribute among their stores.  We can not ship product to individuals, because of cost.  Only FedEx will ship frozen foods, and it is incredibly expensive. 

In the next couple of months we will be rolling out a new website, where fans of XLNT will be able to swap recipes and stories. 
Since you work there, can you tell me what in the recipe was changed? While they have a hint of that old taste, it is clearly not the same. I cant blame dying taste buds due to 20 years of smoking either.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if a monumental change wasn't done to the recipe, removal of MSG played a role in the lowered quality. A LOT of people believe the quality of food went way down in the late 80's/early 90's. They are correct. That's when food companies stopped loading their products with MSG.

The lowering of MSG in food and the decrease in food quality is not a coincidence.

Written By: Jimmyjoe90210 on 02/10/08 at 1:59 am

You know, you're probably right about the MSG. It's been so long since I tasted that -- I forget how it really DID enhance the flavor of foods. I haven't looked, but do they sell Accent anymore in the markets? I used to think that MSG tasted BETTER than salt, and used to sprinkle it on popcorn.
PS -- I found this thread because I had some XLNT tamales for dinner tonight, and was checking to see if the company had a website. I bought mine at Ralphs market in West Hollywood, and thought it was strange that the company didn't have a website printed on the package. XLNT Foods, Inc. is located in Monrovia, Calif. I also remember ALEX'S tamales, way back in the 60s. They had a similar packaging as XLNT, tasted the same, and were probably made by the same plant at the time.

Written By: marilyn on 06/04/08 at 1:52 am

I AM 68 AND HAVE BEEN EATING THE XLNT TAMALES SINCE I WAS A KID.  BACK THEN THEY WERE WRAPPED IN HUSKS.  I LIVE IN OREGON NOW AND GET THEM AT RAYS MARKETS IN THE BUTCHERS CASE.  THEY ALSO MADE FROZEN CHILI BLOCKS.  I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO MAKE CHILI THAT GOOD AND REALLY MISS IT.  DO NOT MICROWAVE THE TAMALES.  STEAMING THEM IS BEST.

Written By: Earl on 09/28/08 at 2:14 pm

They still make them i get them at Rays market in Grants Pass, Oregon

Written By: VALERY on 03/03/09 at 10:14 am

HOW ABOUT THIS !!!!

Has anyone had the XLNT Chili ?
If you think the Tamales are great you should try the Chili it's off the charts.

Valery

Written By: mark allen jones on 03/20/09 at 6:05 pm

try.www.xlnttamales.com

they've been there all along.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/11/09 at 8:34 pm

try.www.xlnttamales.com

they've been there all along.
No they haven't, and next time before claiming something is "there all along", actually go to the link you post. People know where they are now, so posting nonexistent links doesn't really help.

Written By: brooker on 07/17/09 at 3:12 pm

I totally remember xlnt tamales. growing up in los angeles, they were a gourmet staple. I have been searching over the years for more. I found that they were located in Pleasantville, CA and they were bought out by some company. I searched today and found the following link:
www.spammerfoods/beef-tamales/
They exist! That is the good news. Here's the bad. They don't ship to individuals, nor do any of the markets that carry them. I would so totally buy a bunch if they shipped.

Written By: beckola on 08/17/09 at 3:15 pm

I totally remember xlnt tamales. growing up in los angeles, they were a gourmet staple. I have been searching over the years for more. I found that they were located in Pleasantville, CA and they were bought out by some company. I searched today and found the following link:
www.spammerfoods/beef-tamales/
They exist! That is the good news. Here's the bad. They don't ship to individuals, nor do any of the markets that carry them. I would so totally buy a bunch if they shipped.

Have I finally found the tamales I used to eat in 1969 at Walker Jr. High in La Palma CA? They had these white, plastic wrapped chubby tamales. You pulled the plastic zipper and dove in with a plastic spoon. Are these those tamales?  No picture on the XLNT site.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/14/09 at 4:19 am

Have I finally found the tamales I used to eat in 1969 at Walker Jr. High in La Palma CA? They had these white, plastic wrapped chubby tamales. You pulled the plastic zipper and dove in with a plastic spoon. Are these those tamales?  No picture on the XLNT site.
Yes that is an XLNT tamale.

Written By: nally on 09/23/09 at 1:47 pm

I remember those, but then I grew up in Southern Cal.  I've never eaten them though.

I did too, but they were before my time. Even though they might've been around longer, I may or may not have seen them in the stores.

Written By: loco moco on 11/09/09 at 6:29 pm

I was born and raised in Hawaii.  They used to have these in all the drive-in theatres, and at the intermission they would play the ad:

"X-L-N-T Tamales,
So good when you are hun-gry --
X-L-N-T Tamales,
Try them and you will agree -- ¡ Sí ! ¡ Sí ! "      :D

And a cartoon figure señorita with sombrero singing it.  Man, I couldn't wait to dig into those suckas!  Now I gotta go order me some off the intertubes.  Just wish I could find a video of that ad.

Written By: John on 01/15/10 at 8:51 pm

I just moved to Las Vegas, NV and found XLNT Tamales at Von's.  Used to eat them for lunch at Santa Ana High circa 1958-61.  Been wanting them ever since. Now I'm in hog heaven.  Life is good.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/10 at 5:51 pm

I thought XLNT was a Mexican radio station!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

Written By: TJ Marlo on 02/04/10 at 8:21 pm

Being from So Cal.  I have a vivd memory of XLNT Tamales.  Now since I moved to Colorado I am unable to locate these tasty morsels.  When I lived in Anaheim I drove by their building just to get a smell.  Sounds crazy huh?  Last January we drove to So Cal to visit family and have some of them.  They remain tasty.

Written By: Coastwizard on 04/05/10 at 5:43 pm

Oh yeah, I remember them alright! I grew up in So Cal and enjoyed them for years until I moved to the midwest. Then I couldn't find them anywhere. After years of searching and settling for inferior products, I finally decided to try and reproduce their recipe. I've posted the results here, and I think you'll find that it's pretty much on target. Not as easy as just going out and buying them, but a good alternative.

Tamales, "XLNT" Style

2 lbs. lean ground beef
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) beef bouillon
1 t. onion powder
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. paprika
2 large carrots, finely grated
1 1/3 c. lard or solid shortening or butter
4 c. masa flour
2 t. salt
2 T. chili powder

Brown ground beef in pan, breaking up as it cooks; drain.  Add 1 can bouillon and next six (6) ingredients; cover; reduce heat and simmer.  Whip lard with electric mixer in large bowl until fluffy.  Add flour, salt, and remaining can of bouillon (with enough water added to make 2 2/3 cups).  Mix until dough holds together well.  Cut at least twelve 12" x 7" rectangles of aluminum foil.  Remove meat mixture from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then puree meat mixture in food processor until of a paste consistency.  For each tamale, place a 2 inch ball of dough near the end of a strip of foil, and spread to form a square about 5" x 5".  Make sure one end of the masa square touches the end of the foil strip.  Put about 1/4 cup of meat in the center of the masa square.  Roll foil from end until edges of tamale meet; press together; finish rolling foil around tamale.  Crimp ends of foil tightly shut; set aside.  When all tamales are wrapped in foil, place them in a colander set in large pot of boiling water. (Do not allow the water to come into contact with the tamales.) Cover; reduce heat to simmer, and steam the tamales for 45 minutes.  Makes 12 large tamales.

Written By: balynn on 06/21/10 at 1:33 am

XLNT Tamales are now smaller and have a chemical taste to them. 

Written By: JamesG on 07/03/10 at 6:37 pm

I am among the many who have moved out of So. Calif, and can not find anyway to get my hands on XLNT Chili.  I am amazed that there is no way to order it online and have it shipped.  Their website says they are considering it, but that its not cost efficient.  It seems to me someone could find a way to ship their products throughout the U.S. as much of a demand there seems to be.

Written By: Lisa on 11/13/11 at 6:09 am

Smart and Final sells XLNT tamales and  chili brick. Or,
go to XLNT. COM

Check for new replies or respond here...