inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird event on Wide World of Sports

Written By: AL-B on 05/22/05 at 3:40 pm

Back in the 70s when I was a kid, I used to love watching Wide World of Sports on ABC. There was this one competition that involved firefighters, where there would be four or five firemen in a souped-up firetruck, and they would start out at a line, accelerate rapidly and then suddenly slam on the brakes and stop at a fire hydrant about 1/8 mile (?) away. Two or three firemen would then jump out, hook a hose up to the hydrant, and then spray a target about 50 feet away. The object was to do this in as little time as possible. Does anyone here remember this? And, does anyone know if this competition is still going on? I thought it was really cool.  :)

Subject: Re: Weird event on Wide World of Sports

Written By: karen on 05/23/05 at 11:32 am

I remember reading about this sort of competition in Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories!  It was an oldish book so I don't know if they still happen.

Written By: Butterball on 05/25/05 at 8:59 pm

Didn't they also have to fill up a tank by passing buckets of water up a ladder?

Written By: bribos on 05/29/05 at 8:53 am

i think there were two different types of event -- one with the bucket brigade, one without.
WW o S was good for the off the beaten track...and they are the reason we now see stuff
like mountain biking, the Highland Games, and Lumberjack competition...because there is a
whole "Wide World of Sports" out there.
p e a c e
ps: Having said that, can someone tell me why a Dog Show qualifies as a sport?
the outdoor games is understandable...but the dog show thing is just silly to me.

i'm just sayin...

Check for new replies or respond here...