inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jaws, 30th Anniversary

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/30/05 at 9:48 pm

Who here has seen Jaws ? I would have to say that the first is the best in the series, the worst would have to Jaws: The Revenge.

Subject: Re: Jaws, 30th Anniversary

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/30/05 at 10:03 pm

I saw it

30 years on and Roy Scheider's acting looks no worse now then it did then - when you are 100% wooden to start with, it can't get any worse...

The rest of the movie was good though

I wanted the shark to win  ;D ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/05 at 10:46 pm

I enjoyed the first movie...the follow-ups sucked.....the book was the best though. Sharks have gotten a bad rap from the movies though....they aren't like that nearly as much as Hollyweird would have us all believe. Big suprise that Hollyweird would exagerate ::)

Written By: gord on 05/31/05 at 6:15 pm

One of my all time favorites, I remember very well when it was released, my sister had gone to see it at the theatre and when she came home she was so excited she told me detail for detail the entire movie, a few days later I went with a buddy and his father to see it at a drive-in, I felt like I had seen it already. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/05 at 9:44 pm

Jaws is awesome!!!! I was always scared of it when I was younger...and I still have a fear of sharks....but the movie ROCKED!

Erin :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/05 at 1:40 am

Who here has seen Jaws ? I would have to say that the first is the best in the series, the worst would have to Jaws: The Revenge.
When the film was first released, I saw it four times in as many days.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/01/05 at 1:46 am

God, I can't believe it's been 30 years already!!!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/05 at 1:48 am

God, I can't believe it's been 30 years already!!!  :o
Powerful then and still powerful now.

Written By: lorac614 on 06/01/05 at 10:13 am

Wow, 30 years...I saw it in the theater, which would mean I was 6 at the time.  What was my mother thinking??  I remember my mother telling my sister and me to cover our eyes (she talked to a teenaged neighbor and heard about the gory parts).  We pretended to hold our jackets over our eyes but we watched anyway!  LOL!!

Jaws is one of the few movies that I can watch every time it's on TV.

Written By: KP Nut on 06/01/05 at 2:42 pm

I call Jaws:The Revenge,I Christmas movie,because It takes place during the holiday season. I loved Jaws and Jaws 3. Jaws took place on Independence Day-July 4th or before and during that time. I love the 4th. 8)  I haven't seen Jaws 2,but I saw Jaws 3,where the Brody brothers are at Seaworld,where the Mother shark is looking for her baby and goes on a rampage looking for it. I bet Kim Possible can get those trapped people in the dome or whatever it was,out of there before the water drowned them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/05 at 2:56 pm

I fell asleep during Jaws 2

Written By: Im Batman on 06/01/05 at 3:10 pm

As a kid, I never jumped out of my seat in fear in a movie like I did in Jaws when Roy Schieder was shoveling those fish guts over the boat, and out of nowhere the sharks head arises out of the water.

Having seen Jaws hundreds of times since then, and even looking at the water waiting for the shark to surface, this scene still scares the boo-boo geebies out of me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/05 at 8:48 pm

I saw it in 1975 (July) with my mom. We were there to visit my sister and her family in Salt Lake City.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/03/05 at 10:36 am

I saw it at our drive-in when it was first released - I must have been 6 or 7. 

For years I never understood why it didnt scare me.  All my friends were not allowed to see it till they were much older and then it terrified them.

Then I bought the dvd last year and while watching it - it occured to me - at that age I had never seen the ocean - whereas my friends grew up next to beaches and swimming in the ocean daily.

So my theory is - i had nothing to fear from the film.

Get the dvd - there are some brilliant extras - especially the photos.

Written By: J-Boy on 06/03/05 at 10:38 pm

What a great movie! Was anybody disappointed later when they started showing the rubber "movie shark" later on? Didn't they also get the mechanics of the jaws wrong? I know, nit-picking.
  I was wondering, since they make such a big deal about what movies gross these days, what would the $100,000,000+ that "Jaws" made be in todays dollars?
  When will the Hollywood weenies do a remake like they have(and ruined) so many other movies lately? Can't they come up with original ideas anymore?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/05 at 9:29 am

The only Jaws movie I saw in the theater was Jaws 3 and that is because I was young and it was 3D.  The effects were lame and the movie sucked.  The original Jaws was the best.

Written By: zcrito on 06/05/05 at 12:38 am

I saw it in 1975 (July) with my mom. We were there to visit my sister and her family in Salt Lake City.

I bet you heard Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" every hour on the radio during that time. Or if your mom was into FM then it was probably Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love" every other hour.
;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/05 at 5:38 pm

I bet you heard Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" every hour on the radio during that time. Or if your mom was into FM then it was probably Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love" every other hour.
;D

Naw, my mom like Captain and Tennille and I was into the hard rock. I also liked that time for "Listen To What The Man Said" by Paul McCartney & Wings but as FM radio wasn't big here at the time, I listened a lot to WLS from Chicago at night, beginning that year :)

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 2:00 pm

One of the defining Films of the decade [along with...The Exorcist , The Godfather , American Graffiti and Star Wars....Hey....just My opinion}
A Blockbuster in every sense of the word......The hype was incredible....{and...it lived up to it !}
People lined up...Showings were sold out.....People would see it over and over again.....EVERY one,young & old were seeing it and talking about it.
Every year..the first really warm day in Spring.....I watch it.It's not Summer without it !

Written By: ralfy on 06/23/15 at 8:34 pm

"'Jaws' back in theaters for 40th anniversary"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/05/29/jaws-theaters-40th-anniversary-movie/28153813/

Subject: Re: Jaws, 40th Anniversary

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/15 at 5:41 am

"'Jaws' back in theaters for 40th anniversary"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/05/29/jaws-theaters-40th-anniversary-movie/28153813/

...and is about time I do watch it again.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/15 at 8:43 am

The only Jaws movie that I watched was the first one, and I really didn't think it was a good movie. The special effects and death scenes look really, really fake to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/15 at 9:09 am

The only Jaws movie that I watched was the first one, and I really didn't think it was a good movie. The special effects and death scenes look really, really fake to me.
For some of shark sequences real sharks were used, but Spielberg did use a huge artificial shark for the key momemts.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/JawsSpielberg.jpg?itok=rfIgAyCk

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 5:51 pm

For some of shark sequences real sharks were used, but Spielberg did use a huge artificial shark for the key momemts.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/JawsSpielberg.jpg?itok=rfIgAyCk

Were these sharks trained?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/15 at 6:46 am

Were these sharks trained?
The one in the picture is very tame.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/15 at 10:29 am

IT WAS 1975!!

lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/15 at 10:31 am

IT WAS 1975!!

lol
The time before CGI and special effects was all done in front of the camera.

Think "The Exorcist" released two years prior.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/15 at 11:48 am

IT WAS 1975!!

lol

So? I saw better horror movies that had decent special effects from the 70s. Hell, the original Halloween didn't had that much gore and blood, and I find it to be better than Jaws.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/15 at 12:02 pm

So? I saw better horror movies that had decent special effects from the 70s. Hell, the original Halloween didn't had that much gore and blood, and I find it to be better than Jaws.
When I saw "Jaws" for the first time in the cinema back in 1975 I was spellbound by the film, and feeling has stayed with today as one of the best 'real-life horror' films.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/15 at 1:27 pm

The one in the picture is very tame.

Shouldn't it be a mechanical shark? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/15 at 1:44 pm

When I saw "Jaws" for the first time in the cinema back in 1975 I was spellbound by the film, and feeling has stayed with today as one of the best 'real-life horror' films.

Well, maybe that's because you're older than me and that I lived in a time where everything can actually be realistic with CGI animation, because I'm a 2000s kid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/15 at 1:51 pm

Shouldn't it be a mechanical shark? ???
The original Jaws (1975) starred not one but three mechanical sharks, collectively nicknamed Bruce — after director Steven Spielberg's lawyer. Here, one of the Bruces takes a break on location in Martha's Vineyard. This shark rested on a platform when not in use, to protect it from the saltwater.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2010/06/02/jaws03_slide-4d757a330cb97fc522cfea97b4ede83a015df407-s900-c85.jpg

Subject: Jaws, 30th Anniversary

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 4:10 pm

Actually Jaws 3 (I have it on VHS) is my favourite of the series and I think 3 was the LAST GOOD ONE!!

The first one is good also........ (I cant remember if I have seen Part 2 of not (If so it was so long ago I forgot))

Check for new replies or respond here...