inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP!

Written By: CMC on 06/07/05 at 8:37 am

im doing a research project for social studies and its boring me 2 death.. yeh i dont feel like researching so im asking you guys to tell me some of the favorite things you guys liked to do in the 1970`s...?? and what sports did you guys watch or even play..??

reply back to me!~!

Subject: Re: HELP!

Written By: bj26 on 06/07/05 at 2:23 pm

Streaking was popular in the early to mid 70s.  You can write a piece on streaking, how it was done, strategies, interviews, results, site favorite streaking rock tunes, eg. Ray Stevens song, etc. :o

Written By: zcrito on 06/07/05 at 4:03 pm

There was a "streak" involved in the '70s.

It was during that decade that interest in College Basketball really picked up. Especially after Notre Dame defeated UCLA in 1974 and ended their 88-game winning streak (88!). It told every college basketball team out there that someone else could win the championship game other than UCLA.

Written By: micka on 06/08/05 at 10:44 am

what is streaking.?.

Written By: bj26 on 06/09/05 at 2:41 pm

what is streaking.?.
CMC you can act out a streak for your class :)

SPOKEN: Hello, ev'ryone, This is your Action News reporter
with all the news that is news across the nation on the scene
at the supermarket. There seems to have been some disturbance here.
Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?

SPOKEN: Yeah, I did. I's standin' over there by the tomaters
and here he comes-runnin' through the pole beans, through
the fruits ''n' vegetables, nekked as a jaybird.
'n' I hollered over t'Ethel,
I said "DON'T LOOK, ETHEL!!" 'n' it's too late-
she'd already been INcensed.

(Here he comes)
Looka dat, looka dat
(There he goes)
Looka dat, looka dat
(And he ain't wearin' no clothes)

Whoa, yes they call him The Streak
(Looka dat, looka dat)
Fastest thing on two feet
Looka dat, looka dat
He's just as proud as he can be of his anatomy
He gun give us a peek
Oh, yes they call him The Streak
(Looka dat, looka dat)
He likes to show off his physique
(Looka dat, looka dat)
If there's an audience to be found
He'll be streakin' A-round invitin' public critique

SPOKEN: This is your Action News reporter once again
and we're here at the gas station.
Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?

SPOKEN: Yeah, I did. I's just in here gettin' my tawres checked
'n' he just appeared outta the back. Come streakin' around
the grease rack there-didn't have nuthin on but a smile!!
I looked at her and Ethel was gettin' 'er a cold drink. I
hollered "DON'T LOOK, ETHEL!!" But it's too late-she'd
already been MOONED!! Flashed her right there in front o shock absorbers ::)

Written By: bj26 on 06/09/05 at 3:09 pm

im doing a research project for social studies and its boring me 2 death.. yeh i dont feel like researching so im asking you guys to tell me some of the favorite things you guys liked to do in the 1970`s...?? and what sports did you guys watch or even play..??

reply back to me!~!
I guess since it's for a school project, I should't make fun, you know streaking, that's funny and all, but for a project, I don't know.  Here's something I would find interesting that might get you an A and certainly not be boring at least to me.  Do some research on the punk rock subculture vs. disco.  This was definately a scenario of opposites, the punks were originally kids kind of from lower income strata, they enjoyed their own music, quite hard rock for the period, and other hardships being poor.  Disco on the other hand appeard to be more aloof, refined and probably felt superior certainly to persons like punk kids- a definate clash of cultures at the time, underlying theme would be the haves and have nots.  Lots of interesting data on these two cultures both very 70s and made up mostly of the young people of the period.  Punk vs. Disco, if you created an interesting premise, wrote a good paper and I was your teacher, I'd surely give you a good grade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/05 at 4:27 pm

Check up on the name of Erika Roe.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/12/05 at 10:06 pm

Sports?  Well, I didn't care for Roller Derby   :P  but everybody else did.   I think boxing was more mainstream than it is now.  Recreational running had a resurgence during the 70's.  And so many of us were into disco dancing (or else wished we were)   ;)

Basketball seemed really popular - although it might've gotten even more popular over the last decade!  Football became mainstream during the 70's.  And baseball was still considered interesting, too.

Personally, I remember doing a lot of skateboarding - skateboards had a popularity surge in the mid-70's.  And bicycling (which has never gone out of style).  Concepts like hang-gliding were brand new and considered "far-out".   I don't remember if there was parasailing or windsurfing - anyone else remember?  Bungee jumping wasn't in existence then.  Neither were X-Games (although people did that stuff; it just wasn't very organized).

On a different note, computers were these mystical things, held only by governments, NASAs, mega-corporations or large universities.  Most of us thought we'd never touch one - although some predicted we'd have computers in houses.  We all laughed at that thought.

I dreamed of going to the moon   ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...