inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Research Help; Why Did So Many Peole Hate Disco? www.discosucks.org

Written By: RH1979 on 06/21/05 at 5:23 pm

Your Thoughts, Theories, and Memories Needed Here: www.discosucks.org

Thanks!

RH1979

Subject: Re: Music Research Help; Why Did So Many Peole Hate Disco? www.discosucks.org

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 06/22/05 at 12:59 am

Because it was soulless, annoying, a cashin to dance crazes & clubs, bland, and most sounded the same.  :P  :D

I think most people realized that there were better music like punk, new wave, rock, etc. and left disco behind since it was a dumb fad like pet rocks.

Subject: Re: Music Research Help; Why Did So Many Peole Hate Disco? www.discosucks.org

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/05 at 6:21 am

Hmmm.  I'm among those that welcomed Disco when it first arrived but ended up being glad when it "died".   :-\\

When it was "just another" music style ('74-'75), it brought variety, a new sound, upbeat and danceable.  Disco was more creative, too, because it wasn't "IT" yet, so a Disco song wasn't a guaranteed hit.

Into the later 70's, somebody in the music industry decided that everybody wanted Disco and nothing else.  So it began to choke out all of the other great music styles that existed before it, relegating anything non-Disco to second tier.  So many 70's artists said they suffered during this era because of Disco.  Other artists adapted the Disco sound just so they could be have hits.

On top of that, Disco music got watered down - a lot of inferior songs became popular just because they worked as Disco.  When Disco reworks of classical music soared to the top of the charts, I knew this was wrong.   :P

After Saturday Night Fever et all, Disco started to encroach not just into popular music, but popular culture.  It was around that time the revolt began.

That's my two cents.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/22/05 at 5:26 pm

Because it was soulless, annoying, a cashin to dance crazes & clubs, bland, and most sounded the same.  :P  :D

I think most people realized that there were better music like punk, new wave, rock, etc. and left disco behind since it was a dumb fad like pet rocks.

The same could be said about punk music. Some believe it was pure noise without any substance.

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/22/05 at 9:55 pm

I find it to be vastly overrated off hand.

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 12:55 pm

because rock n roll was better.

Check for new replies or respond here...