inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: favorite guitarist of the 70s

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 2:05 pm

jimmy page for me

Subject: Re: favorite guitarist of the 70s

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 3:57 pm

Bump

I think this is a good poll!

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/06 at 4:07 pm

Of the ones listed, I went with David Gilmour

One of my "other" favourites is Randy Bachman.  The guitar work on the his 1979 Ironhorse hit "Sweet Lui-Louise" was fantastic O0

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 4:10 pm

I voted for Jimmy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/06 at 4:14 pm

I would vote for Eric Clapton if he was on the list.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 4:19 pm

Damn, he should've been added.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/06 at 4:23 pm

Damn, he should've been added.
George Harrison too!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 5:51 pm

George Harrison too!

true, true and Marc Bolan.

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 6:27 pm

I voted for Jimmy Page. That guy could, and still can, make his guitar sing, talk, yell, scream and do things that most other guitarists only imagine and can never pull off.

Then Id go for Marc Bolan and then David Gilmore.

AN

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/06 at 2:43 am

I voted for Jimmy Page, but I would have voted other if it had been a choice.
Leslie West - Mountain or Alvin Lee - Ten Years After
I enjoyed all then, and still do now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/06/06 at 11:25 am

I voted for Jimmy Page. That guy could, and still can, make his guitar sing, talk, yell, scream and do things that most other guitarists only imagine and can never pull off.

Then Id go for Marc Bolan and then David Gilmore.

AN

Then you'd be on my groovy list, love!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/06 at 11:35 am

true, true and Marc Bolan.
...also Ralph McTell!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/06/06 at 11:36 am

...also Ralph McTell!

definitely!!!

I'm seriously having brain freezes when I recall some.

Written By: whiteport on 02/06/06 at 1:15 pm

Back in the day I would've voted for Uncle Ted, but being older and wiser ;) now I went with Gilmour, the guy put out some amazing stuff..

Written By: Tia on 02/06/06 at 1:38 pm

David Gilmore was smarter and more mature, but jimmy page was just an all-around rock star. Gilmore has aged much more gracefully and can still play and sing.

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 2:10 pm

I put Gilmour. Not my favorite band, but dfinately respected musician by me

Written By: gord on 02/06/06 at 5:13 pm

Page is a favorite :)

Written By: Tia on 02/06/06 at 10:50 pm

now i feel like tony iommi isn't gettin' his. that dude pretty much defined the cacophanous possibilities of the marshall stack (along with the eric clapton of "cream" days...) you can't beat vintage sabbath. love it, love it, love it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/06 at 11:10 pm

vintage Black Sabbath is definitely up there. I would concur with you on this

Written By: Tia on 02/06/06 at 11:25 pm

volume 4. one of the best albums of all time.

OMG.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/07/06 at 1:20 am

I voted for Eddie Van Halen, but would have voted for Ritchie Blackmore and Yes' Steve Howe...Blackmore absolutely rocked out on "Machine Head" and the Rainbow albums....and Howe is underrated IMO.

and of course George Thorogood...yes he's 70's.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 1:39 am

I voted for Eddie Van Halen, but would have voted for Ritchie Blackmore and Yes' Steve Howe...Blackmore absolutely rocked out on "Machine Head" and the Rainbow albums....and Howe is underrated IMO.

and of course George Thorogood...yes he's 70's.
Blackmore on Machine Head, wonderful stuff. good selection. I love that album

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/06 at 6:03 am

Ditto, the others pale in comparison.  Dwayne Allman as well.  I won't go into my rabid screed about Jimmy Page.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 10:10 am

i wanna hear the rabid screed!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/06 at 3:03 pm

i wanna hear the rabid screed!

Jimmy Page stole every lick he ever played, and a lot of songs he wrote.  He and his buddies stole the their first two albums outright from Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, and Howling Wolf.  Thought they would get away with it, too.  Never thought that a couple of old black blues
men could take them to court and win, but that is just what happened.  As much as fans want to whitewash it(pun intended)
what Page and company did was sleazy.  Ever watch the Simpsons?  I almost rolled of the chair when in the episode where they
go to England Homer says "Hey look, there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Black Music ever"  Jimmy Page >:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 3:25 pm

read this rant before, it's gettin tiresome.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 3:27 pm

That's interesting, actually. I have to admit out of that whole band, john paul jones is the only one I figured I might find personally likable. Robert plant always struck me as a colossal flake and jimmy page as pretty much a degenerate. I still love those albums, though, I can't help it.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 3:28 pm

read this rant before, it's gettin tiresome.

Don't give her a hard time! I asked her to elaborate.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 3:33 pm

Jimmy Page stole every lick he ever played, and a lot of songs he wrote.  He and his buddies stole the their first two albums outright from Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, and Howling Wolf.  Thought they would get away with it, too.  Never thought that a couple of old black blues
men could take them to court and win, but that is just what happened.  As much as fans want to whitewash it(pun intended)
what Page and company did was sleazy.  Ever watch the Simpsons?  I almost rolled of the chair when in the episode where they
go to England Homer says "Hey look, there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Black Music ever"  Jimmy Page >:(

Amazing, not surprising, unfortunately.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 3:50 pm

Don't give her a hard time! I asked her to elaborate.
my apologies if I offended anyone, it's just that had they not plagiarized, stole begged, borrowed, sampled, from these wonderful original musicians, how would I in surburbia ever hear anything similar. My radio stations played none of the guys mentioned as the founders of Zep's tunes, so thats as close to it as I would get to it. Unfortunate, but in my opinion doesn't take away Jimmy Pages talent for "ripping" (pun intended) on his Gibson with his own magical flair. DanootaAndMe obviously has strong feelings and knows more about the history than I, but I am a fan of the music they put out.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 4:18 pm

my apologies if I offended anyone, it's just that had they not plagiarized, stole begged, borrowed, sampled, from these wonderful original musicians, how would I in surburbia ever hear anything similar. My radio stations played none of the guys mentioned as the founders of Zep's tunes, so thats as close to it as I would get to it. Unfortunate, but in my opinion doesn't take away Jimmy Pages talent for "ripping" (pun intended) on his Gibson with his own magical flair. DanootaAndMe obviously has strong feelings and knows more about the history than I, but I am a fan of the music they put out.

You would take your booty to the urban way of life and check it out!!!  ;)  ;D

Be mindful, I stepped out of my inner-city neighborhood to share music with the friends I had that listened to hair metal.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 4:26 pm

You would take your booty to the urban way of life and check it out!!!  ;)  ;D

Be mindful, I stepped out of my inner-city neighborhood to share music with the friends I had that listened to hair metal.

hahhahhah yeah, I should get me some mileage, be like a scene right out of Crossroads

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 5:39 pm

hahhahhah yeah, I should get me some mileage, be like a scene right out of Crossroads

lol!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/07/06 at 7:07 pm

lol!
I will say my older friends in the early 70's turned me onto John Lee Hooker when he played with Canned Heat and I was an instant fan of the man. No need for me to go to the mississippi delta to learn about the blues, just my luck I'll meet "old scratch" on the crossroads like Robert Johnson.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/06 at 5:55 am

my apologies if I offended anyone, it's just that had they not plagiarized, stole begged, borrowed, sampled, from these wonderful original musicians, how would I in surburbia ever hear anything similar. My radio stations played none of the guys mentioned as the founders of Zep's tunes, so thats as close to it as I would get to it.

My problem with Zep is the plagiarized bit.  All artist beg, borrow, and sample. That is education.  What Page and Co did was put their names on songs they didn't write, pocket the royalties, and take the bows.  Eric Clapton, Stones, Hendrix, The Doors, Jeff Beck and too many more to mention never had a problem giving credit(and royalties) where credit was due, in Claptons case he was as out loud about it as I am. (ok, I'm done now)

Written By: Tia on 02/08/06 at 9:26 am

i've gotta be honest, i was never big on clapton. i liked him in cream but a lot of his stuff after that seems kinda cheesy to me. and his riffs are trite.

i liked layla, though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/08/06 at 10:07 am

i've gotta be honest, i was never big on clapton. i liked him in cream but a lot of his stuff after that seems kinda cheesy to me. and his riffs are trite.

i liked layla, though.
honesty is the best policy. I thought he was in a different zone when he was with Cream (Clapton), he ripped that Fender to shreds, his play is so good during those years. Even on the reunion thing they had on PBS recently, he jammed like the old days.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/08/06 at 10:56 am

My feelings exactly!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/08/06 at 7:28 pm

honesty is the best policy. I thought he was in a different zone when he was with Cream (Clapton), he ripped that Fender to shreds, his play is so good during those years. Even on the reunion thing they had on PBS recently, he jammed like the old days.
I like Eric Clapton but I LOVE Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen....

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 2:38 am

Gotta go with Jimmy Page.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/09/06 at 3:45 am

My problem with Zep is the plagiarized bit.  All artist beg, borrow, and sample. That is education.  What Page and Co did was put their names on songs they didn't write, pocket the royalties, and take the bows.  Eric Clapton, Stones, Hendrix, The Doors, Jeff Beck and too many more to mention never had a problem giving credit(and royalties) where credit was due, in Claptons case he was as out loud about it as I am. (ok, I'm done now)
I hear ya and it must have been difficult for those original songwriters to get compensated, but things being as they are, I still love their albums. any business or ethical problems are theirs, not mine, not yours and they hopefully have paid, and learned some lessons and maybe they can be forgiven. I dunno. All I do know is when I was 14, we smoked a joint, played Whole Lotta Love and kept flicking the light switch on & off for visual effect and knew nothing of the music world turmoils, and my ignorance provided me bliss in listening pleasure and it was the best thing I'd heard in a while.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/09/06 at 3:46 am

I gotta throw one more guy in here that doesn't get as much recognition but is a fine guitar player and songwriter.
Mark Farner - Grand Funk Railroad

Written By: memory on 02/14/06 at 8:27 pm

I added some more names and resetted the stats.

Since I was here last time I've matured alot musically. It made me mad no one voted for Iommi, I mean come on he made heavy metal. I didn't say what's the most talented player of the 70's I said favorite. Maybe that cleared it up for some of you.

Tony Iommi is a really underrated guitarist.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 8:39 pm

looks like we get to vote again.

i went for tony iommi this time. last time i voted for jimmy but you know he's gonna clean up, and tony iommi defined a whole GENERATION of metal guitarists, and then a whole 'nother generation after that.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 8:43 pm

I liked Randy Bachman.  Didn't like alot of his songs though ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 02/14/06 at 9:02 pm

During the 70's I was always partial to
Frank Marino,Steve Howe and Al DeMeola,
and for some reason I really like Neil Young.
Not so much for his speed it's just the sound
especially in "Down By The River"and "Like A Hurricane"

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 9:09 pm

steve howe is a god.

angus young is also a god. it hurt not voting for him. much better selection than last time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/06 at 1:59 am

I added some more names and resetted the stats.

Since I was here last time I've matured alot musically. It made me mad no one voted for Iommi, I mean come on he made heavy metal. I didn't say what's the most talented player of the 70's I said favorite. Maybe that cleared it up for some of you.

Thank you.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/06 at 2:21 am

I must state that while I voted for Jimmy Page, I do recall getting to see AC/DC a few years ago at the Oakland indoor Arena  and remember that of all the bands I'd seen, Angus Young  impressed me the most and I had not seen his equal at a live performance. So he is my favorite guitarist that I saw LIVE  and then Page for favorite recording studio guitarist. and there it is. I'm pleased with my choices.

Written By: oneno on 02/16/06 at 11:33 am

Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield or Bill Nelson. Adrian Belew started out in the 70's too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/06 at 11:35 am

Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield or Bill Nelson. Adrian Belew started out in the 70's too.
Mike Oldfield is/was more than just a guitarist of the 70s!

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 12:00 pm

tony iommi is winning! il ich das uberguitarist.

you know he had his fingertips chopped off in an industrial accident? pretty good gitfiddle player coming from a handicap like that.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/18/06 at 12:28 am

angus young is also a god. it hurt not voting for him. much better selection than last time!
70's, 80's, 90's, 00's  Angus Angus, Angus, Angus  http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/angus3.jpg

maybe these will sway your vote  http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/angus.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/18/06 at 3:21 am

Eric Clapton

Written By: Tia on 02/18/06 at 8:12 am

that angus sg is so awesome.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/18/06 at 12:08 pm

that angus sg is so awesome.
there was another pic with him playing a black one, but these were clearer. I wish they would tour the states again.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/20/06 at 6:14 pm

Those who never got into blues, ever might not know this name...
Rory Gallagher. I heard him on college radio....not too shabby.

And what about The Nuge!!! I love 'Stranglehold'(ted's guitar playing on it, not really into the lyrics) and 'Free for All'...

Hey, how about Mick Ronson? He's not on the list....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/20/06 at 6:17 pm

I like Tony Iommi a lot...I like his playing on 'Snowblind' and 'Fairies Wear Boots'...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/20/06 at 6:41 pm

Those who never got into blues, ever might not know this name...
Rory Gallagher. I heard him on college radio....not too shabby.

And what about The Nuge!!! I love 'Stranglehold'(ted's guitar playing on it, not really into the lyrics) and 'Free for All'...

Hey, how about Mick Ronson? He's not on the list....
Ted Nugent rocks, and the guitar work on stranglehold is my fav of his. seen him twice, he opened for Kiss, would like to see him again

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 4:23 am

I like Tony Iommi a lot...I like his playing on 'Snowblind' and 'Fairies Wear Boots'...
snowblind is a classic. vol 4 totally got passed over, that might well be my favorite black sabbath album.

ted nugent reminds me of pat travers -- a big 70s buttrocker jimmy page wannabe. everyone in their mid-30s probably remembers "boom boom (out go the lights)." that song used to get played more than "stairway." dag!

the pat travers song "snortin' whiskey" has a cameo in the movie "sideways" during the fat sex scene. which is where such a tune belongs, i imagine.

oh! and what about "do you feel like we do" guy?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/06 at 7:56 pm

snowblind is a classic. vol 4 totally got passed over, that might well be my favorite black sabbath album.

ted nugent reminds me of pat travers -- a big 70s buttrocker jimmy page wannabe. everyone in their mid-30s probably remembers "boom boom (out go the lights)." that song used to get played more than "stairway." dag!

the pat travers song "snortin' whiskey" has a cameo in the movie "sideways" during the fat sex scene. which is where such a tune belongs, i imagine.

oh! and what about "do you feel like we do" guy?
Frampton Comes Alive. Saw him about 5-6 years ago and he doesn't look like the long haired kid on the album cover, he's balded, and old man rolling stone type glasses. but he still wailed.

I'm gonna add another guitarist because I love his style and enjoy hearing him play  Slash

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 8:14 pm

slash mighta played in the 70s but i think of him as extra-80s.

somebody should start an 80s guitarist thread so we can sound off on steve vai and joe satriani.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/06 at 8:24 pm

slash mighta played in the 70s but i think of him as extra-80s.

somebody should start an 80s guitarist thread so we can sound off on steve vai and joe satriani.
whoa, I forgot my decade. strike Slash from the friggin list, he's 80's

I have a copy of Guitar Legends magazine, special collector's issue and it has the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos, which is a matter of opinion of course.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 8:32 pm

whoa, I forgot my decade. strike Slash from the friggin list, he's 80's

I have a copy of Guitar Legends magazine, special collector's issue and it has the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos, which is a matter of opinion of course.
ric ocasek's solo on "just what i needed" should TOTALLY be on there. i remember looking for that. short solo, but great, great, great. (80s, though.  :) long as you precipitated the scope creep, i'ma go with it.)

i have that article though. love it. agree with most of their choices, and the stories of how they recorded and mixed some of those solos is great. i love that tip from the randy rhodes solos of triple tracking, jacking up one track down the middle and then making the other two tracks quiet and splitting em left and right.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/06 at 9:45 pm

ric ocasek's solo on "just what i needed" should TOTALLY be on there. i remember looking for that. short solo, but great, great, great. (80s, though.  :) long as you precipitated the scope creep, i'ma go with it.)

i have that article though. love it. agree with most of their choices, and the stories of how they recorded and mixed some of those solos is great. i love that tip from the randy rhodes solos of triple tracking, jacking up one track down the middle and then making the other two tracks quiet and splitting em left and right.
Just What I Needed does have some great guitar, but Tia, what about your boy who borrowed your amp one night. You best be throwing Rick's name in here somewhere because his play on Edgar Winter's White Trash Roadwork album is some of the meanest guitar I've ever heard.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 11:12 pm

Just What I Needed does have some great guitar, but Tia, what about your boy who borrowed your amp one night. You best be throwing Rick's name in here somewhere because his play on Edgar Winter's White Trash Roadwork album is some of the meanest guitar I've ever heard.
OMG! you remembered!

rick derringer is all slick, mayng. i had no idea.

he doesn't two handed tap eddie van style. he frets with his right hand and pulls off to the fretted note with his left hand. gets this whole crossover thing going. and then hits the tremolo bar with his elbow. it's AMAZING.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/22/06 at 1:28 am

OMG! you remembered!

rick derringer is all slick, mayng. i had no idea.

he doesn't two handed tap eddie van style. he frets with his right hand and pulls off to the fretted note with his left hand. gets this whole crossover thing going. and then hits the tremolo bar with his elbow. it's AMAZING.
Yes I did, which is somehat of a small miracle considering my awful memory. I could listen to Rick  play Tobacco Road and Livin' In the USA over and over, he's amazing and I like that album. I would give props to Johnny Winter for his guitar on Mean Town Blues on his live album. He goes nuts!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/22/06 at 10:54 am

Eric Clapton  8)

Written By: Tia on 02/22/06 at 10:57 am

Yes I did, which is somehat of a small miracle considering my awful memory. I could listen to Rick   play Tobacco Road and Livin' In the USA over and over, he's amazing and I like that album. I would give props to Johnny Winter for his guitar on Mean Town Blues on his live album. He goes nuts!
i like the steve vai tobacco road on the david lee roth solo album. i keep meaning to pick up a rick derringer solo album.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/24/06 at 9:33 am

How about another little-known guitarist, Burton Averre from The Knack...listen to the solo on 'My Sharona' and you will know why I mentioned him. And the song, though most people think it's from the 80's, actually was released as a single in 1979.

Check for new replies or respond here...