inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 70s in Denmark

Written By: OliverDK on 07/03/05 at 1:09 pm

I was born in 1971, and usually move at the 1980s site, but it's been interesting to read what people have to say here, what surprises me - and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - it seems that in the United States the Hippie-era are the 60s, but here in Denmark it's the 70s people think of when they're talking about hippies.
I'm not really sure how it happened, but it was like the danes went directly from hippies to yuppies in the early 80s, according to my mother - sorry 'bout that - the era started in Denmark with the Youth Rebellion - direct translation - in Paris, France in 1968, hence the saying "Caught by the Spirit of '68" used in Denmark, and stopped somewhere between 1976 and 1979, I had teachers like my mother even my senior year.
The 70s in Denmark will always be in the sign of Gasolin', the biggest rock band in Danish history, the band started out by pulling a cart - with their equipment - through the streets of Copenhagen to get to gigs, to being headline at Concert of the Year 1976, featuring Dr. Hook and Made In Sweden; imagine the biggest concert you've ever seen, scaled down to fit a country of less than six million inhabitants.
I saw my first concert with Gasolin' the following year, when my mother couldn't get a babysitter, and their last official concert in 1982, four years after the band officially split up, I still have all their albums on vinyl, except their US-album, but "What A Lemon" is impossible to get, or rather to pay.
Just thought I'd get my 5-Cents worth in.

Subject: Re: The 70s in Denmark

Written By: nondiva234 on 07/03/05 at 3:09 pm

So Denmark never experienced the disco era? Interesting...

Written By: OliverDK on 07/03/05 at 5:14 pm

So Denmark never experienced the disco era? Interesting...

You might say we went from "Hair" to "Purple Rain", without "Saturday Night Fever", though we listened to ABBA, Boney M a.s.o. in my youth club.

Written By: bj26 on 07/05/05 at 6:56 am

Are the Raveonettes from there?  The have an early 60s retro rock sound pre-dating hippies.

Written By: OliverDK on 07/05/05 at 7:51 am

Are the Raveonettes from there?  The have an early 60s retro rock sound pre-dating hippies.

I honestly don't know them, by if they're from Scandinavia then they're probably swedish, Sweden seem to come out with atleast one superband every decade; ABBA, Europe, Roxette and Ace Of Base, to name some.

Check for new replies or respond here...