inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Creature feature, Sci Fi theater.

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/05/05 at 6:27 pm

A typical Saturday afternoon would be spent glued to the television watching channel 29. Creature feature regularly showed reruns of Japanese classics like Son of Godzilla. While Sci Fi Theater would show something like The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Subject: Re: Creature feature, Sci Fi theater.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/05 at 1:26 pm

I remember that. I used to watch with my best friend and instead of being scared (like we should have been) we would just crack jokes about it. In other words, we were playing "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" before that was even in existance.  :D

Cat

Written By: Butterball on 07/07/05 at 9:23 pm

It was called "The World Beyond", where I lived.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/28/05 at 8:04 pm

Anyone from the Philly/NJ area in the '70's remember Dr. Shock's Scream-In on Channel 17(WPHL)? I loved that AND Creature Feature which was on WOR(channel 9 out of New York)...

One of Dr. Shock's pals was an 'invisible dog'.....all you saw was a leash and harness...

Believe it or not...Invisible Dogs were a 70's thing not unlike the Pet Rock!

Written By: lorac614 on 07/29/05 at 4:38 pm

I remember the opening, the six fingered hand coming out of the ground.  Was that Creature Feature?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/30/05 at 3:27 pm

How about THE TWILIGHT ZONE and THE OUTER LIMITS....

I'd love to have Outer Limit's intro as a wav file...wonder where I could find it...

Written By: lilleo1968 on 08/09/05 at 6:34 am

We had Shock Theater where I am from.  Fun Times  ;D

Written By: Allie Fox on 08/23/05 at 2:05 pm

I remember the opening, the six fingered hand coming out of the ground.  Was that Creature Feature?

The six fingered hand was Chiller Theater.  In NYC it was on WPIX Channel 11.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/23/05 at 3:30 pm

Although the Tampa Bay area (where I was a kid), had Creature Feature (mainly starting in the mid-1970's {1975} to early 1990's) with host, Dr. Paul Bearer (I'm not making that up) on WTOG, Channel 44 (the independent station, that also showed such shows as reruns of "Star Trek", "Bewitched", etc. {and later the original syndicated show, "Star Trek:  The Next Generation}); the science fiction movie show I remembered fondly is more from the early 1970's and was more of a science fiction movie show (such as "The Day The Earth Stood Still", but there was one movie I can't remember from the late 1960's about some scientist that develop a time machine {and I know that's not the name of the movie} that get trapped in time near the end of the movie {if someone knows the name of this movie, please let me know?})  and that was Terminus on Channel 8 (the NBC affiliate, WFLA in the Tampa Bay area).  And Terminus was on on Saturday morning, 7 am to 9 am usually before my mom and dad would wake up. 

Written By: oneno on 08/25/05 at 7:50 am

Here in the Quad Cities (Illinois/Iowa) area we had "The Acri Creature Feature" it featured B-Movies and Schlock but the best thing was the little local bit they shot localy featuring Vincent and Hedges a Vampire and Werewolf who would be in goofy little vignettes shot at local venues. They just recently came back with a new version of this and the cool thing is they show all the original little clips. very neat to see old landmarks etc... Here's a cool link featuring some of these shows http://www.houseofjitters.com/

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 11:37 am

I was A HUGE fan of WNEW Metromedia {now a FOX station} Channel 5's Creature Feature.
My Grandmother got Me into Horror Movies at an early age {My Grandfather thought they were stupid} She'd call Me to come over and watch a movie with Her.The first 2 Horror Films I remember seeing......House on Haunted Hill  and  Horror Hotel {also known as City of the Dead}.She had Me come over after school one day to introduce Me to Dark Shadows !!
Every Saturday night at 8:30.....I got schooled in Universal Monsters and classic Horror.
It has stayed with Me to this day.Usually Saturday night means popping a Horror DVD in.
The music theme from Creature Features was from the Film ,  It Came From Outer Space. That theme is a ringtone on My Cellphone.
Can You say....stuck in the seventies...... ;D
There's a great Web page devoted to Creature Features...check it out:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/TV%20Guide/creaturefeaturesarticle.htm

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:04 pm

Although the Tampa Bay area (where I was a kid), had Creature Feature (mainly starting in the mid-1970's {1975} to early 1990's) with host, Dr. Paul Bearer (I'm not making that up) on WTOG, Channel 44 (the independent station, that also showed such shows as reruns of "Star Trek", "Bewitched", etc. {and later the original syndicated show, "Star Trek:  The Next Generation});
We used to get Channel 44 on the East coast of Florida, and I also remember Dr. Paul Bearer. He had a freaky eye and used to smoke if I remember correctly. For some reason, the opening of the show was the creepiest to me, and I actually used to hide my head till it was over. You remember him singing "Poisoning Pidgins"?

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:05 pm

He sounds awesome !!

We used to get Channel 44 on the East coast of Florida, and I also remember Dr. Paul Bearer. He had a freaky eye and used to smoke if I remember correctly. For some reason, the opening of the show was the creepiest to me, and I actually used to hide my head till it was over. You remember him singing "Poisoning Pidgins"?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:08 pm

It was definitely "Local Crap", but yeah, it was total awesomeness to this kid :)

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:11 pm

That's what's missing today....MOST tv w/ their "Reality" shows are just plain crap.Not even entertaining crap......

It was definitely "Local Crap", but yeah, it was total awesomeness to this kid :)

Check for new replies or respond here...