inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1970s TV Game Shows

Written By: AH3RD on 07/13/05 at 1:32 pm

When I think of game shows in the 1970s which take me back, I think of Match Game 7X/PM, The Joker's Wild, TattleTales, The Hollywood Squares, Wheel Of Fortune (with Chuck and Susan), The $10/20,000 Pyramid, and The Price Is Right (including the version Dennis James emceed).

Which '70s game shows do you fancy?  8)

Subject: Re: 1970s TV Game Shows

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/13/05 at 3:43 pm

I used to watch game shows a lot when I was a kid in the 70's-80's. I saw the "Gong Show" episode of "Sanford & Son" on DVD and that hostess with the accent took me back as well. I also remember the brown-haired model (Anitra Ford) on "Price is Right". I remember "High Rollers", "Gambit", "Joker's Wild", and I also remember "Match Game '73" from my headstart days. I was a game show junkie - before game shows turned to junk, that is.

Written By: Paul on 07/14/05 at 6:58 am

Glancing through those titles, I'm amazed at how slow some of 'em caught on in Britain...The Price Is Right, The Pyramid Game and Wheel Of Fortune didn't really hit our screens until the 80s...

However, we had Hollywood Squares in the 70s - renamed Celebrity Squares...

Another biggie, 3-2-1 - based on a European idea with prize clues so cryptic that even a person with several degrees in Psychology would have had trouble solving 'em...!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/05 at 12:40 pm

As a kid I used to love watching game shows.  :)

Some of my favorites were...

Match Game
The $20,000 Pyramid
The Joker's Wild
Card Sharks

Written By: iluvthe80s on 07/15/05 at 7:25 am

I like 'Let's Make a Deal', 'Password Plus' (started in '79, continued in the early 80's), and every version of the Pyramid ever made.  :)

Daytime tv should start airing more game shows like they did when I was growing up - they kind of faded out in the late 80's when talk shows became all the rage.  Oh well, at least we have GSN.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/19/05 at 2:17 am

Concentration was my favorite...

and I remember

Richard Dawson's family feud
Bullseye
Tic Tac Dough
The $64,000 Question
Whiz Kids

I think I can remember there being one called "Go!" and one called "Dream House" but I never watched those...

Written By: AH3RD on 07/28/05 at 2:04 pm

To correct you a little, it was Chuck and Susan, which was a classic pair.

Whoops! My bad...  :o  :-[

I have corrected my goof. Sorry about that...  ::)

Written By: chica777 on 07/29/05 at 1:06 pm

I loved game shows. Concentration, To Tell the Truth.  There were so many on in the morning.  I miss them.  It was a great way to exercise the brain instead of the brainless talk shows on now.  The Gong Show....now that was a true American idol. ;D

Written By: nally on 08/02/05 at 1:56 pm

I wasn't around then, but I have watched some of them on GSN. Here are the ones I've enjoyed:

Match Game PM
the original "Family Feud"
The Joker's Wild
The Price Is Right (which is still on today)

Written By: Skippy on 08/02/05 at 6:33 pm

All we have now is "Price is Right". Or, the lesser known 2 Stupid Dogs cartoon version "Let's Make a Right Price" with host Bill Baker.  ;D  ;D

Personally, I'd rather watch the old game shows over the phony talk show drivle that we have now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/05 at 9:23 pm

I remember Defintion.

http://www.xanfan.com/trading/definition.jpg

Written By: Carl on 08/04/05 at 10:09 am

I used to watch:

Treasure Hunt
Hollywood Squares
Wheel of Fortune-still going strong!
Price Is Right-rarely
Bowling For Dollars
Name that Tune
Gong Show-May be not classified as a 'game show', but I couldn't leave that out

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/04/05 at 11:04 am

Concentration was my favorite...

I think I can remember there being one called "Go!" and one called "Dream House" but I never watched those...

"Go!" & "Dream House" were 80's gameshows, Odyssey, and they were good, but short-lIved. I think Bob Eubanks(host of Dream House) holds the record for having the most game shows shot out from under him (Trivia Trap, the new Card Sharks, etc...), I guess The Newlywed Game, successful as it was, turned people off especially to him!
The 80's hd theur share of cool game shows though. Win, Lose Or Draw looks very dated now, but Password Plus became Super Password, and we had Scrabble, Sale Of The Century, Blockbusters, Classic Concentration, and to this day my personal favorite, PRESS YOUR LUCK! Even cabe started gettiing in the act with MTV's Remote Control, Disney Channel's Contraption and Nickelodeon's Double Dare & Finders Keepers. NTM, the 80's heralded the revival of what I think remains the most popular game show ever, Jeopardy!
These days, the best Game shows on the air have to be the GSN Originals like Lingo & Russian Roulette. Your thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/04/05 at 11:38 am

"Go!" & "Dream House" were 80's gameshows, Odyssey, and they were good, but short-lIved. I think Bob Eubanks(host of Dream House) holds the record for having the most game shows shot out from under him (Trivia Trap, the new Card Sharks, etc...), I guess The Newlywed Game, successful as it was, turned people off especially to him!
The 80's hd theur share of cool game shows though. Win, Lose Or Draw looks very dated now, but Password Plus became Super Password, and we had Scrabble, Sale Of The Century, Blockbusters, Classic Concentration, and to this day my personal favorite, PRESS YOUR LUCK! Even cabe started gettiing in the act with MTV's Remote Control, Disney Channel's Contraption and Nickelodeon's Double Dare & Finders Keepers. NTM, the 80's heralded the revival of what I think remains the most popular game show ever, Jeopardy!
These days, the best Game shows on the air have to be the GSN Originals like Lingo & Russian Roulette. Your thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I enjoy watching the reruns of Millionaire and Win Ben Stein's Money.  Incidentally, a lot of the game shows listed here (such as Pyramid and Family Feud etc, had successful runs in the 70's and 80's)  :)

Written By: makdafi on 08/04/05 at 12:15 pm

I liked Let's Make A Deal.

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/04/05 at 1:20 pm

Like Jeff, I wasn't around in the 70's, but I liked Wheel, which I still do like, and Price is Right. Match Game was very memorable, too. Remember that "nipple" comment Gene Rayburn made about a contestant? Hilarious!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/05/05 at 5:09 pm

I remember this one show called "Split Second" where the winner would earn a key at the end of the show and use it to try and start one of five brand new cars, and if it started they'd win the car.

Written By: nally on 08/05/05 at 5:34 pm

I watched the Pyramid as a child in the 80's, but I've only seen clips of the 70's version on the "Most Outrageous Gameshow Moments" and "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas."

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/05/05 at 6:50 pm

I'd love to see the Gong Show again (especially after seeing Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.)

Written By: JT1972 on 08/07/05 at 5:51 pm

I liked watching Wheel Of Fortune when the contestants had to spend the money they won right there on the show.
Remember they had to choose items from a room - ex Living room.

Also, the Newlyweds Game...Watching the reruns today is hilarious!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:12 pm

;D  Def the Match Game with Gene Rayburn!!!! Loved it....it was the best!!!!!!!!!

Written By: nally on 08/08/05 at 11:29 pm

Like Jeff, I wasn't around in the 70's, but I liked Wheel, which I still do like, and Price is Right. Match Game was very memorable, too. Remember that "nipple" comment Gene Rayburn made about a contestant? Hilarious!

Oh yeah! It was on the "Most Outrageous Gameshow Moments"!

"With great pleasure I welcome Karen Lesko!" Gene said. Then he asked the male contestant, "Doesn't she have pretty nipples--er--dimples, there, John?" Slip of the tongue! Everyone got crazy, while Gene said out loud, "This woman has very pretty dimples!" :D ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 11:36 pm

;D  Gene Rayburn was the best.. the show always got a little dirty..but the censors never got the best of him...I did always love Price is right too...Did you know Bob never missed a day of work????

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/05 at 9:38 pm

I remember Defintion.

http://www.xanfan.com/trading/definition.jpg

I remember Definition.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 6:22 pm

I watched just about every game show there was. Some of my favs were:

Match Game
Blockbusters
The Pyramid
Name that Tune
Face the Music
Treasure Hunt
Anything Goes
Tic Tac Dough
Joker's Wild

And several others which I'm sure I will think of after I hit the "post" button.

There is one that I remember (that I wish I didn't) called Neighbors. I believe it was hosted by Regis Philbin. It was basically 5 neighbors sitting around and gossiping for a half hour.  ::)  Needless to say, it didn't last too long-which we all can be grateful for.

Does anyone remember Hot Potato?

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/08/05 at 6:24 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 6:32 pm

Yeah me too...I can recall watching "Joker's Wild" as a kid in the 80's, not knowing that it was actually on a decade earlier. I always got a kick out of hearing "Joker...joker...joker!" :D

I always preferred to hear "Joker, joker, joker" than "No whammies, no whammies." 

What always got me on Family Feud, no matter how stupid the answer was, the family would ALWAYS say, "Good answer."  Example:
Richard: Name something you find in your refrigerator?
Contestant: Your dog.
Family: Good answer, good answer.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/05 at 6:44 pm

Does anyone remember Hot Potato?

Cat

I remember Hot Potato.  It was such a confusing show.  I can recall just before it was cancelled, it became "Celebrity Hot Potato"

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 7:25 pm

;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 7:42 pm

Yeah me too...I can recall watching "Joker's Wild" as a kid in the 80's, not knowing that it was actually on a decade earlier. I always got a kick out of hearing "Joker...joker...joker!" :D
Interesting fact: "Joker's Wild" was hosted by Jack Barry and produced by himself and Dan Enright (Barry-Enright Productions).  In the late 50's they produced the game show "Twenty-One" (also with Barry hosting), which in 1959 was taken off the air amid a huge scandal when a former contestant revealed that the show was rigged. This scandal was the subject of the 1994 Robert Redford-directed movie "Quiz Show" (a film which I highly recommend).

Written By: bruce on 12/16/05 at 10:29 pm

MATCH GAME was great i also liked HIGH ROLLERS with alex trebec  Love watchin the old shows on GSN.Mygramma was on the  60s game show WHATS MY LINE i remember we all went to their house to watch it the nite it aired.I would love to see that on GSN

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/17/05 at 11:20 pm

They still show reruns of "Match Game" on the Game Show Network, and I still watch it occasionally. One of my childhood faves, even though most of the jokes flew right over my head. I heard that some of the panel members (Richard Dawson, Charles Nelson Reilly) used to drink quite heavily before they taped the show, and if you watch some of the reruns it's pretty obvious that CNR is pretty gassed a lot of the time. :DRichard Dawson was one of the greatest letches in the history of television. Who can forget how he would always walk down the line and make out with each and every one of the female contestants?

Written By: nally on 12/18/05 at 1:20 am

They still show reruns of "Match Game" on the Game Show Network, and I still watch it occasionally. One of my childhood faves, even though most of the jokes flew right over my head. I heard that some of the panel members (Richard Dawson, Charles Nelson Reilly) used to drink quite heavily before they taped the show, and if you watch some of the reruns it's pretty obvious that CNR is pretty gassed a lot of the time. :DRichard Dawson was one of the greatest letches in the history of television. Who can forget how he would always walk down the line and make out with each and every one of the female contestants?

I know, he'd do that all the time. And he'd shake hands with all the male contestants.

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/05 at 1:24 am

Here's some trivia:  Family Feud was a spin-off from Match Game '75

Written By: nally on 12/18/05 at 1:27 am

Here's some trivia:  Family Feud was a spin-off from Match Game '75

Guess I shoulda known, as Richard Dawson left Match Game around that time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 12:47 pm

Celebrity Sweepstakes. I remember Carol Wayne who was supposed to be a "dumb blond" but she was the smartest out of all of them. And Nipsy Russell saying one of his poems at the end of every show.

Cat

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/19/05 at 1:00 pm

3 On A Match, Password, I

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 1:13 pm

3 On A Match, Password, I

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/19/05 at 2:01 pm

I believe it was Bill Cullen-I saw a VERY early episode of the Price is Right and it wasn't even the same game.

Cat

YEP!! Congratulations Cat!! I thought that may have been a toughie :-\\. I always liked Bill Cullen, with his warm and kind demeanor, telescopic eyeglasses, and ever present cigarette! (He did die of lung cancer, though- but he made it to 70)

Written By: de410 on 01/03/06 at 4:50 pm

I loved Name That Tune.
Does anyone remember "Split Second" or "Musical Chairs"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 5:35 pm

I loved Name That Tune.
Does anyone remember "Split Second" or "Musical Chairs"?

I remember Split Second with Tom Kennedy but I don't remember Musical Chairs.

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 9:50 pm

How about "Tattle Tales" with Bert Convy? I haven't seen this show in a long time, but if I remember right it was somewhat similar to "The Newlywed Game," except that they had celebrity husband-and-wife teams. I don't remember how risque the dialogue got (I imagine it got fairly racy from time to time since it was the 70's after all), but the one thing I do recall is how, after the host asked the husbands a question (and vice versa), the wives (who were offstage in another room) would pop up on these TV screens underneath their husbands and they'd be wearing these huge air traffic controller headphones.

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 9:42 am

My all time favorite was Beat the Clock...that was 70s, right? I was very young.
We had the home version and I played it all the time.
Great show.
Who was the host?

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/04/06 at 11:17 am

My all time favorite was Beat the Clock...that was 70s, right? I was very young.
We had the home version and I played it all the time.
Great show.
Who was the host?

Bud Collyer - Host (1950-1958)
Monty Hall - Host (1979-1980)
Gary Kroeger - Host (2002)
Jack Narz - Host (1969-1972)
Gene Wodd - Host (1972-1974)

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 11:53 am

Bud Collyer - Host (1950-1958)
Monty Hall - Host (1979-1980)
Gary Kroeger - Host (2002)
Jack Narz - Host (1969-1972)
Gene Wodd - Host (1972-1974)

I remember Gene Wood..
thanks for the fast and very thorough reply!
:)

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/04/06 at 12:05 pm

I remember Gene Wood..

YW! I must have a couple years on ya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/06 at 1:54 pm

Does anyone remember "Make me Laugh"?

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 2:16 pm

Cat

I remember the 90's version of it.  I could never keep a straight face sitting in that chair in the bonus round.  I'd crack up laughing

Written By: nally on 01/04/06 at 5:48 pm

I remember Gene Wood..

Gene Wood...I know that he was an announcer for many game shows over the years.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 5:56 pm

Gene Wood...I know that he was an announcer for many game shows over the years.

I always looked forward to hear him saying ... "This is Gene Wood, speaking for Family Feud, a Mark Goodson Television Production"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/06 at 5:57 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/04/06 at 7:49 pm

Cat
I forget what network used to air the reruns of this show back in the 80's (USA Network?) but I remember seeing one episode where the celebrity panelist (that the comics had to try and make laugh) was none other than Frank Zappa. It was funny, because the comics (actually, Gallagher was the second one) were doing all they could to get Zappa to laugh, and FZ just sat there and glared at them with this "you're an idiot" scowl on his face, although Gallagher managed to get a slight smile out of him.

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/06/06 at 6:13 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: KKay on 01/06/06 at 8:07 am

I seem to remember a closing quote that was "A Mark Goodson / Bill Toddman Production"  This may have been from earlier shows??

you beat me to it..I was going to mention Bill Toddman...
maybe they met later? earlier?

Written By: nally on 01/06/06 at 12:03 pm

I think so... "A Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production" was probably from the early years of Family Feud, as I've seen on GSN.

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/06/06 at 1:33 pm

I

Written By: bilz on 10/17/06 at 3:49 pm

I used to watch:my sister was on bowling 4 dollars where can i find video

Treasure Hunt
Hollywood Squares
Wheel of Fortune-still going strong!
Price Is Right-rarely
Bowling For Dollars
Name that Tune
:D

Written By: nally on 10/17/06 at 3:58 pm

I've never watched the Gong Show, but I do see your point.

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/06 at 4:29 pm

Gong Show is definately a game show.  Chuck Barris is a Game Show legend

I remember watching re-runs of The Gong Show in the very early 80s

Written By: ralfy on 04/02/16 at 9:38 am

Family Feud's 40th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiUzcuai6nc

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 5:40 pm

I liked the original with Richard Dawson.

Written By: GimmeOne on 04/12/16 at 1:32 am

I liked Hollywood Squares with Peter Marshall and so wish I could find some of those shows with Donny & Marie when they were on...any ideas?? :)

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/12/16 at 7:23 am

I liked Hollywood Squares with Peter Marshall and so wish I could find some of those shows with Donny & Marie when they were on...any ideas?? :)

I highly suggest checking out YouTube or Dailymotion and entering "Hollywood Squares" or "osmond game show" (not the 2000's Pyramid revival) and searching from there.

Thanks to the launch of BUZZR, some of these shows have made a return, including Match Game with Gene Rayburn (still on GSN), Dawson Family Feud (although they're airing 1980 episodes currently, but close enough to the '70s), Beat the Clock (Kennedy version), Tattletales, Double Dare (NO, not the Nickelodeon version, but rather an early Alex Trebek-hosted show that I really enjoy if they stop airing the same ten episodes over and over), and even an occasional He Said, She Said from the late '60s/early '70s (a prelude to Tattletales).

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 6:17 pm

I liked the original with Richard Dawson.

I did too. He was a regular panelist on Gene Rayburn's Match Game, even after he began Family Feud.

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 6:18 pm

Thanks to the launch of BUZZR, some of these shows have made a return, including Match Game with Gene Rayburn (still on GSN), Dawson Family Feud (although they're airing 1980 episodes currently, but close enough to the '70s), Beat the Clock (Kennedy version), Tattletales, Double Dare (NO, not the Nickelodeon version, but rather an early Alex Trebek-hosted show that I really enjoy if they stop airing the same ten episodes over and over), and even an occasional He Said, She Said from the late '60s/early '70s (a prelude to Tattletales).

Yeah, I like that channel and all the old shows on it. They also have Card Sharks hosted by the late Jim Perry, which I believe began its run in the late 1970s.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/16 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, I like that channel and all the old shows on it. They also have Card Sharks hosted by the late Jim Perry, which I believe began its run in the late 1970s.

I like that channel, it's like going back in a time machine.

Written By: Cherie70 on 04/29/16 at 11:00 am

1. Jokers Wild
2. Sale of the Century
3. To Tell The Truth
4. Card Sharks
5. 10/20,000 Pyramid
6. The Price Is Right

Written By: nally on 05/07/16 at 11:53 pm

I like that channel, it's like going back in a time machine.

They even have a Saturday night feature called the "BUZZR Time Machine", in which they show a marathon of episodes from the same game show, usually from the 70s or 80s.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/16 at 2:55 pm

They even have a Saturday night feature called the "BUZZR Time Machine", in which they show a marathon of episodes from the same game show, usually from the 70s or 80s.

and coming up are the old Family Feud episodes from 1980.

Check for new replies or respond here...