inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comic book ads for Sea monkeys

Written By: James Melbourne on 07/18/05 at 8:00 pm

Remember the comic book ads for sea monkeys. They're actually baby sprimps

Subject: Re: Comic book ads for Sea monkeys

Written By: Hootnanny on 07/18/05 at 10:15 pm

Really? OMG. Hmmmm,  :-\\maybe that's why they all died when I would feed them bananas. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/18/05 at 11:17 pm

Brill sprimps to be exact.

Written By: dutchfalcon on 07/30/05 at 9:48 pm

I accidentally spilled mine on the carpet!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/21/05 at 11:54 am

I remember wanting them so bad. I actually thought they  would look like the ones on a package. I always would cry in the toy aisle, cause my mom wouldn't buy them for me. I had names picked out and really thought they wore crowns. I never knew what they looked like. Cause no one I knew ever had them. :-[

Fast forward

My friends little brother got some. He was so excited and taught them some tricks. I had to go see this. When I just saw them squiggling around. I had to laugh.  ;D

Written By: lorac614 on 09/21/05 at 2:35 pm

We recently took our daughter to the Aquarium and in the gift shop you could by "Sea Monkeys".  The picture on the box was almost exactly the same. 

I alway wanted them when I was a kid, I'm sure I would have been disappointed when I realized they looked nothing like the picture.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/05 at 2:49 pm

A friend of mine had them. They just looked like a bunch of mucus or something floating in the water.

Cat

Written By: Wiffle on 09/21/05 at 6:21 pm

I never got to have Sea Monkeys as a kid either. As a kid, I just assumed that they looked just like the pictures on the box. The woman Sea Monkey on the box wore a lot of lipstick and looked very sexy, if I recall.  :-*

About five years ago I worked for a company that did those tacky gift exchanges at Christmas and someone got Sea Monkeys. They were just gross little shrimp that looked like the amoebas in a Far Side comic book. I think they all died when the recipient went on vacation.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/21/05 at 7:27 pm

i still have have all my comic books from the 70's
mostly marvel comics.a few weeks ago i looked
for the sea monkeys ad,the topic came up in work,
and i couldn't find one ad for sea monkeys.i remember
seeing the ads but they aren't in any of my marvel comics
like i thought they were.

Written By: kairi747 on 09/23/05 at 8:22 am

my kids actaully raised sea monkeys last year.  we kept them alive for almost a year!  they kept having babies and everything!  i think eventually we just had too many in the cute little tank and they died.  stores like toys 'r us and target still sell them and you can also buy them (and other accessories for them) online!  ;D

Written By: kairi747 on 09/23/05 at 8:36 am

here ya go!

Written By: Wiffle on 09/23/05 at 10:30 am

If you have betta fish, they will eat your Sea Monkeys!

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/26/05 at 11:15 pm

;D  I loved my Sea Monkeys...And I had that water stuff that grew Wax spires ..all Diff colors..anyone remember that one??  I also had a Pet Rock..LOL..bought it at Spencers in the mall..

Written By: Mushroom on 09/27/05 at 10:29 am

We raised tropical fish when I was a kid, so we frequently bought brill shrimp to feed to them.  You can get them freeze-dried, and grow them yourself very easily.  Just look in any pet store.  They are rather inexpensive, only a buck or so for thousands.

The gimick I loved most was "Magic Rocks".  We used ro grow them in long necked bottles, which made for very interesting forms.

Check for new replies or respond here...