inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did everyone smoke weed in the 1970's?

Written By: eightieschick53 on 07/18/05 at 10:52 pm

I am just wondering because most people I talk to (except my mom  ;D) says they smoked weed in the '70's.  I know the '60's and '70's were a swinging time. A lot of movies from that time had drugs in them too, like:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

Easy Rider (1969, I know not really the '70's but close enough!)

I'm sure there are many, many others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Subject: Re: Did everyone smoke weed in the 1970's?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/18/05 at 11:13 pm

Well, no.  ::)  But smoking weed was probably at the height of its popularity in the 70's.  Drugs in general were popular from the late 60's well into the 70's  :\'( even though by then we all knew how harmful they were.

During the 70's there was a prolonged move to legalize marijuana because people regarded it as a 'safe' drug.

Of course people smoked weed before, during and after the 70's.  But once the 70's were over, the anti-drug movement got going, making users more inclined to hide it.  ;)  Of course people still used it anyway. 

As for me, I didn't use it, not even during college  :o.  There are others I'm sure never did, either.  But a large number did.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/19/05 at 5:56 pm

I didn't...then again I was born in 1971 so I was too young to care about weed.

Written By: Skippy on 07/20/05 at 12:19 am

I didn't. I thought it was rather stupid and immature. I know people who did, most were stupid and immature.
Of those that say they did, I wonder how many didn't but say they did because of peer pressure or fear of being labled un-cool.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/21/05 at 5:06 am

EVERYONE did. Hell, they even used to smoke weed in church back then.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/05 at 11:41 am

Sure I did.  ;D  Nothing like getting stoned and watching SNL.  :D

Cat

Written By: bj26 on 07/21/05 at 12:50 pm

This girl told me she and her friends were going down the interstate at 75 MPH and passing a joint back and forth between two cars! (not me I promise, she just told me about it).

Written By: Katherine on 07/21/05 at 1:48 pm

Hell yes!  We used to smoke it and watch Get Smart, and other shows.
Then I started to get more "paranoid" than laid back, so to keep from peer pressure, I would say, "no thanks, I'm allergic to THC"  So then I was still "cool"

Remember those baggies of rag weed compared to what they have now?

Kat

Written By: gemini61 on 07/21/05 at 2:14 pm

Yea, pretty much everyone that I knew did, except my parents  ;D  Hmmm, I don't think they did  :-\\ 

Written By: memory on 07/21/05 at 2:29 pm

yes they did .

the 70s were cool.

every watched that 70s show?

almost every episode it shows them in a circle high.

ever seen dazed in confused?

it shows them smoking weed every 5 minutes it seems like.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 3:55 pm

No, because I would've only been 13 when the 70's ended!  :D

Written By: Paul on 07/21/05 at 4:27 pm

Oh yes, I was well acquainted with weed in the 70s...

Dandelion & Burdock, that is...a type of soda!

(However, if we're talking 80s...)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/05 at 4:30 pm

Uh-huh!  ::) ;D

Written By: memory on 07/22/05 at 12:24 am

No, because I would've only been 13 when the 70's ended!  :D

just because youre 13 doesnt mean you didnt know what weed was..

i first tried it when i was 12 with a couple friends.

Written By: memory on 07/22/05 at 12:25 am

i hated it though.scared the crap out of me.

i thought i was going to get caught by my parents for like a year.

i waited until i was 14 to do it every again. thats when the real fun started happening.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/05 at 11:57 am

I think I was 13 when I first tried it, myself.

Cat

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/22/05 at 12:10 pm

mmmm Dandelion and Burdock  ;D

Err I dunno how to smoke  :-[ so I ate some marajuana once - once was enough to make me realise it aint for me.  :D

Written By: bj26 on 07/22/05 at 3:14 pm

Anyone ever heard that song by Pato Benton, I do not sniff the coke I only smoke the sensimilla, it's a funny song ;D

Written By: sandinmyvahgina on 07/22/05 at 9:33 pm

No, I didn't smoke weed in the 70's only because I was too young, but if I had been a teen in the 70's, you better f'ing believe I would have been stoned 24/7 ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/23/05 at 3:35 am

Err I dunno how to smoke  :-[ so I ate some marajuana once - once was enough to make me realise it aint for me.   :D

just noticed title of this is 'in the 70's - er I was far too young to do drugs then, my marajuana scooby snack happened in the mid 80's    ;D

never again though - I couldn't shut up for days, and recall seeing a spider in the bath the size of a dustbin lid.

Written By: Watcher29 on 07/26/05 at 8:48 am

Err I dunno how to smoke  :-[ so I ate some marajuana once - once was enough to make me realise it aint for me.   :D

I also don't know how to smoke. And I've never eaten the stuff either.

Written By: whitewolf on 07/27/05 at 9:22 pm

just noticed title of this is 'in the 70's - er I was far too young to do drugs then, my marajuana scooby snack happened in the mid 80's    ;D

never again though - I couldn't shut up for days, and recall seeing a spider in the bath the size of a dustbin lid.

sounds like you had a real nasty body stone :o

never somked it in the 70s (was only born in 70). now in the 80s....... ;)

Written By: w on 07/30/05 at 4:21 pm

Not everyone. I'd say between 50 to 90 % tried it. Most of my friends smoked sometimes, some a lot. Most of the time it was a party thing for our group. Say 1st a month or so. I never tried it. I saw too many older kids that it became their focus and that wasn't cool. Acid was at a lot of our parties too, but most of the people I knew stuck to weed or alcohol.  w

Written By: kairi747 on 08/14/05 at 12:02 am

possibly 1979, but at least by the 80's.  please don't tell my mom!  ::)

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/14/05 at 1:45 am

:D  yep..I was born in 1967..My parents were Hippies...They smoked and all of thier friends smoked..I grew up watching the parents and thier friends have killer parties..I remember one party my dad and his best friend smoked a big one then "talked " to each other via the TV anntennae..it was soo funny!!..I smoked my first joint at 12 ...but quit when I was about 25..it started to make me "paranoid"...But I do believe in Medicinal purposes..one of my best friends from high school got cancer and He would get the heavy Chemo..lose his appetite..etc..but they started to give him pure THC pills and..you guessed it ..the Munchies..its what kept him alive for quite awhile ..but..sadly he lost his life in 1989...rip..Brandt...Pot should be legalized..My parents had a good time..I had a good time.. Not a Violent drug...

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/14/05 at 9:06 am

I didn't smoke weed.  (I hate traditional smoking of tobacco, so I didn't care to smoke anything, even weed -- I always believed in a saying from Edith Bunker on "All In The Family":  "If God had intended us to smoke, he would have put chimneys on top of our head."  ;D)  And besides two of my sisters do smoke tobacco, and I can't stand it when they smoke (I have three older sisters and only one of them does not).  (I also have asthma).

But that being written, I was over at one of my other sister's (the one who doesn't smoke) friends house in the early 1970's (when I was only 8 years old -- I was born in 1963) and this friend made Mary Jane (the nickname for marijuana) brownies (they were quite delicious and very moist!  :D)  Of course at 8 years old, it kept me and the young friend I was with quite docile and eventually made us go to bed to stay out of the way of my sister and her friend!!! :o

Also btw, the year before that at the age of 7 years old I snuck into the "The Last Picture Show" just to get to see actress, Cybil Shepherd and get my first hard-on!!!  ;)

BTW, I also believe in legalizing marijuana for medical benefits.  A matter of fact I could use some Mary Jane brownies right now (would lesson the pain I feel whenever I think of George W. Bush). 

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/14/05 at 8:04 pm

;D  OOOHHH ..Love It!! Another fellow Democrat...Yea..Id start smoking again if I thought it would Kill my pain from DOUBYA...LOL.................

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/14/05 at 9:01 pm

;D  OOOHHH ..Love It!! Another fellow Democrat...Yea..Id start smoking again if I thought it would Kill my pain from DOUBYA...LOL.................

Yeah, if only?  ;D  Hand me another Mary Jane brownie, please.  ;)

Written By: Katherine on 08/18/05 at 1:28 pm

Is this a trick question?
H-LL YES!

Why do you think over half of us start our topics, "Does anyone remember?"  Our brains have been fried, lol!

Great question.  I don't want to be a hippocrit, but over the years, drugs and alcohol didn't help my thinking process at all, I wish I never did them! 

Kat

Written By: MaryMary on 08/20/05 at 5:25 pm

<<Why do you think over half of us start our topics, "Does anyone remember?"  Our brains have been fried, lol!>>

That is a funny (though possibly true) observation, Kat! Thanks for the laugh.

I was 16 in 1970 and yes, I did smoke weed. (Called it "pot", though) But not often. I didn't have the nerve to go buy my own. But if it was around, I really liked it. It was a fairly rare treat.

Written By: Katherine on 08/23/05 at 1:15 pm

Another funny story...

My moms friend caught a kid smoking pot in her house.  She said, "I'm going to tell your parents"
He said, "Go ahead, they smoke it too!"

Kat

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/23/05 at 11:39 pm

;D This is funny too..when I was a teenager..right before my grandpa died..I was down to visit and I was ridin in his truck with him on a shine run..( Some of you may know what shine is...I dont know if its just a Southern thing or what! )...anyway..My Pepaw..( another Southern term..LOL..).. started rollin one...I didnt see the Prince Albert Tobacco can on the floor of his 57 chevy so I thought he was rollin a doobie! ..I said ..Dang..Pepaw...You gonna get High ..Aint cha?? he Looked at me like I was CRAZY!!..I realized my mistake when he lit up and the smell of good ol" tobacco filled the truck!!  Another memory of that time...My grandpas lighter played DIXIE when he opened it..I always wanted that lighter..

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 9:22 am

I used to love smoking weed & back when i was still smokin it if i saw someone eating it i would have thought it were sacrilige & a total waste of weed. It's 8 times more potent when smoked especially through a bong. I would even get sh!tty when someone wanted roll a joint out of some of the weed & i'd usually be like "nah man that's such a waste, all that smoke that's drifting off into the room is not going into our lungs". I tried to eat it once or twice & it did nothing, i was still totally straight & it felt like a total waste. After that i gave up on the idea of ever trying to eat it again & stuck to smoking it through a bong.
I don't smoke weed anymore because it's not as harmless as it seems & i became extremly dependant on it for about 11 years & practically couldn't live without it. I would go psycho when i couldn't get it aswell. Getting off it was the hardest thing i've ever had to do in my life. When i told people i'd finally quit they didn't believe me & one of them said "you not smoking bongs is like the pope not going to church". I would smoke day & night & as soon as i woke up in the morning i would have a breakfast bong. I lost 11 years of my life just being stoned.  A lot of people say i'm pretty inteligent & articulate & if i hadn't spent all those years being stonned out i could have & should have gone to university & gone on to do greater things. The media glamourises it & makes it seem harmless but it's a lot more incidious than it seems.  Although this wasn't in the 70s i thought some of you might find my experience with the drug interesting & it might serve as a good expample of why it shouldn't be classed as a light drug or harmless drug. I've been drug free for many years now.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 9:33 am

Oh i forgot to mention that i still have urges to smoke it every now & then which is triggered by certain thoughts, or if i smell someone smoking it, or i see a drug bust on TV & see a whole crop of weed.  I just have to remind myself what i went through to get off it. It's all about will power. Weed's not cool, it's fu*cked up.

Written By: whiteport on 08/25/05 at 2:02 pm

Yes I unfornately lost a few brain cells back in the 70s  :D

Written By: Marian on 08/25/05 at 2:12 pm

Well, no.   ::)  But smoking weed was probably at the height of its popularity in the 70's.  Drugs in general were popular from the late 60's well into the 70's  :\'( even though by then we all knew how harmful they were.

During the 70's there was a prolonged move to legalize marijuana because people regarded it as a 'safe' drug.

Of course people smoked weed before, during and after the 70's.  But once the 70's were over, the anti-drug movement got going, making users more inclined to hide it.   ;)  Of course people still used it anyway. 

As for me, I didn't use it, not even during college   :o.  There are others I'm sure never did, either.  But a large number did.

I didn't use it myself,but my aunt said she smoked it a total of 14 times--a LONG time ago(she 's in her 60s now,and she did it when she was young)I don't think any drug,including prescription or over the counter,should be used for recreational reasons,and weed has become better known as a recreational drug since it became illegal in the 30s.I do believe the opinions of doctors who say ithelps MS and glaucoma,however.

Written By: Carl on 08/26/05 at 11:55 am

My mom admitted to experimenting once in her younger days.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/19/05 at 12:29 pm

Not me. I was an innocent baby  :)

Written By: monka24 on 09/19/05 at 2:52 pm

Nope, not in the 70"s but sure as heck did in the 80"s. Yes, we called it pot as well. I hung out with all the stoner's then until I got into some trouble. 

Now, I'm a good girl, lol... right?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/19/05 at 9:01 pm

I don't know about the 70s, but I smoked it in the 90s! LOL!

Written By: Perryfan on 09/20/05 at 8:59 am

Pretty much everyone in my circle of friends did.

Written By: cables on 09/20/05 at 1:02 pm

I was a teenager in the 70s and I've never smoked anything. But I've drunk enough alcohol to make up for it.

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/21/05 at 9:58 am

yep..smoked plenty of it. It should be legal. and I would have thought by now it would have.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/21/05 at 11:45 am

Not in the 70's but I did in the 80s. Then it made me sick and I haven't touched it since. :-X

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/22/05 at 2:53 pm

Based on what I know and have seen/heard, etc - in the 70's, there were some holdovers of the 60's lifestyle, including weed smoking.

It was very laid back in that regard, so yeah, I think it would be safe to say it was a commonality for people to smoke, but I'm sure not everyone did it. The ratio was probably about the same as today, and it's not like everyone does it now.

I think the 80's is pretty much the only decade from the 60's to now, where it was a bit off center/not mainstream. It was viewed as more of a "burnout" thing to do. Whereas in the 60s-70s, and again the 90s-2000s, it's more of a social thing to do.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:57 am

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 19910s ...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/06 at 6:11 am

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 19910s ...

I'd say 99.9% at least tried it

Written By: witchain on 01/04/06 at 6:28 am

I started smoking in the early eighties, but that was in Germany.
It was brown and crumbly, not green and leafy.  ;)

I think it's a lot healthier and safer for society than getting shhh-faced drunk.
Oh yeah- That's legal, isn't it.  8)

Written By: bruce on 01/04/06 at 8:03 pm

I first smoked grass in 77  was stoned for years after that I went to a small school everybody smoke from the jocks to the band kids to the red necks  only my sisters and their freinds didnt  stoned in the 80s stoned in the 90s now i indulge occasionly the weed is so much betterespecially during harvest season

Written By: vinyl lover on 01/05/06 at 4:07 am

i started at 13....and stopped at 25 after it started to make me paranoid(which sounds like everyone experienced after a prolonged usage)but anyway i was the hub of my town of weedsville..my friends came over on a daily basis asking do i have any bit i would always hold out until they brought out theirs..it was the word around town that i always had some..i did but i would use it sparingly..one hit was good for a couple of hours, but my friends would like to smoke a dime all at once..we used to use bongs with ice water in it, pipes with rubber tubes,power hitters(a plastic tube with a holder for the joint..screw it in after it was lit and squeeze the plastic tube and out would come a stream of smoke)and of course papers(zigzags)...i also liked hash...same as weed but you had to prepare it a little different...

Written By: cables on 01/05/06 at 12:33 pm

i started at 13....and stopped at 25 after it started to make me paranoid

Recent studies have shown that weed affects the same area of the brain as schizophrenia. It is, and must remain, illegal.

Written By: witchain on 01/05/06 at 5:29 pm

What's wrong with schizophrenia?  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/06 at 5:39 pm

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm a schizophrenic
And so am I.

;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/05/06 at 5:41 pm

hell, i'm baked right now.

well, not really.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/06/06 at 2:08 am

1969 Manteca, Ca. 13 years old, my friend got a joint of Acapulco Gold from his big brother. 4 of us went to our school playground at night and toked up, about 3-4 puffs each, held it in our lungs like big brother said and got high. From then on it was a complete and total committment and way of life. In 1972 my best friends mom bought a business in town and paid me to work there. It was called the Headquarters, but she changed the name to the Outer Limits. She bought from some long haired woodstock'y people. It was awesome. Sold everything used to indulge in pot smoking. Pipes, papers, she sold tapestries, had a black light poster room to display the posters for sale.Some of my favorite music was first heard in that shop on reel to reel and 8track. All the dopers in town shopped there. It was like a costco for stoners. Practically everyone I knew smoked, not very many people in that small town didn't get high. We grew it, we sold it. I was immersed in that culture and loved it. My dad was a cop, and one day we cut school to just hang out, get high, check out the chicks at the other high school when who pulls us over? My dad and his cop partner. They knew we cut, so they put us in the car and we were stoned!! My dad was whispering to the other cop that he smelled marijuana. The other cop said nah, it's just patchouly oil. I had weed in my sock but they didn't check. That lifestyle was a long time ago, I haven't had any since 1979. It was a era when there was plenty available, some good, some not so good, but mostly what we got was potent. I forfeited a few brain cells with some of the other mind altering elements that were available and much more powerful. I have no regrets after so much indulgence. Yes, there was tons of weed smoked during that period of time.

Written By: Marian on 01/12/06 at 3:50 pm

I didn't smoke it. :)

Written By: Tia on 01/12/06 at 4:13 pm

I didn't smoke it. :)

^she means she distilled it down to pure hash oil and self-administered it as eyedrops.

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/12/06 at 9:52 pm

It should not remain illegal.
Freedom of Choice.

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/13/06 at 7:38 am

I'd be willing to bet that more people smoke weed now than in the 70's.

Check for new replies or respond here...