inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need help with some 70's research

Written By: Dariana on 07/25/05 at 1:36 am

I am writing something that is supposed to take place in the 1970's and I need some popular teenage names for that decade.  I need about a two dozen (dozen each male and female).  I was a little too young to remember the neighborhood kids back then.  I could also use popular nicknames too.  Thanks!!

Subject: Re: Need help with some 70's research

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/25/05 at 5:21 pm

Hmmm - at first glance I thought this was a peculiar question.  But as I think about how different kids names are now, I guess it's not so strange.  I guess I'll stick to "classics"  :-\\

Girls:
Cathy, Sue, Kim, Mary Jo, Julie, Cindy, Janet, Laura, Sherry, Ann, Denise, Debbie, Beth, Renee, Linda

Boys:
Mike, Doug, John, Steve, Rob, Gary, Al, Jerry, Dave, Jeff, Paul, Tim, Jim, Eddie, Mark

I hope this helps you.  Good luck!  :)

Written By: lorac614 on 07/25/05 at 8:03 pm

I went to the Social Security Admin. website and just picked 1975 (you can use any year and see whats most popular) here are the top 20 names for 1975

Rank Male name  Female name
1      Michael      Jennifer
2      Jason        Amy
3      Christopher Heather
4      James        Melissa
5      David        Angela
6      Robert      Michelle
7      John        Kimberly
8    Brian          Lisa
9    Matthew    Stephanie
10  William      Nicole
11  Daniel      Rebecca
12  Joseph    Christina
13  Eric        Jessica
14  Jeffrey    Amanda
15  Kevin      Elizabeth
16  Richard    Kelly
17  Scott      Sarah
18  Steven    Julie
19  Mark        Mary
20 Thomas    Laura

Written By: Zella on 07/26/05 at 12:33 am

The second post would be for most popular names for naming babies in the year 1975. Since the orignal poster is writing about teens in the 70s, they would be born in the early 60s, so the names in the first post woudl work better...

Written By: karen on 07/26/05 at 3:06 am

Hmmm - at first glance I thought this was a peculiar question.  But as I think about how different kids names are now, I guess it's not so strange.  I guess I'll stick to "classics"   :-\\

Girls:
Cathy, Sue, Kim, Mary Jo, Julie, Cindy, Janet, Laura, Sherry, Ann, Denise, Debbie, Beth, Renee, Linda

Boys:
Mike, Doug, John, Steve, Rob, Gary, Al, Jerry, Dave, Jeff, Paul, Tim, Jim, Eddie, Mark

I hope this helps you.  Good luck!   :)

If you were writing a British article I would substitute the names Sharon, Karen, Beverley and Mandy for Mary Jo, Cindy, Sherry and Renee.

For boys I would use Peter and Stuart instead of Al and Jerry.

Check for new replies or respond here...