inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Deliverance

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 11:03 pm

Any one here seen the film Delieverance?  It was on TV recently, I have seen only half of the film, and I still felt uncomfortable watching it.

After seeing it, I may have second thoughts about camping ever again.  ::)

Subject: Re: Deliverance

Written By: Alchoholica on 08/01/05 at 11:05 pm

Any one here seen the film Delieverance?  It was on TV recently, I have seen only half of the film, and I still felt uncomfortable watching it.

After seeing it, I may have second thoughts about camping ever again.  ::)

LOL It's a great film, although i dunno if i'd wanna do too much walking in them thar Georgia hills  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/01/05 at 11:07 pm

While I like Dueling Bangos, it still sends a chill down my spine listening to it.  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 08/02/05 at 4:32 am

It's a classic film... love it! They did a sorta 2000 remake with "Wrong Turn" in 2004, another good film.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/05 at 11:12 am

Besides "Dueling Banjos", I thought the movie sucked. I know it is a classic but didn't care too much for it.

Cat

Written By: robby76 on 08/02/05 at 11:17 am

Oh yeah it's a cheap crappy film, but great for a boys drunken night in!

Written By: bj26 on 08/02/05 at 2:21 pm

The author of Deliverance, James Dickey, came to my school and read some of his poetry, it was beautiful. 

Written By: zcrito on 08/02/05 at 3:17 pm

Besides "Dueling Banjos", I thought the movie sucked. I know it is a classic but didn't care too much for it.

Cat

Hey, I'm not alone with my dislike of that movie. It's too negative and spiteful for me, but I do like one quote in it: "Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you can find anything" (or something like that).

The music from that movie really took off at the time (January, 1973).

There are much better movies from the '70s than that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:20 pm

Deliverance, at its time set new barriers in film. Dueling Banjos is just great!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/05 at 3:51 pm

Cat
How can it be called Dueling Banjos when there is only one banjo, competing with a guitar?

Written By: Paul on 08/02/05 at 5:36 pm

How can it be called Dueling Banjos when there is only one banjo, competing with a guitar?

Originally written for a pair of banjos back in the forties/fifties, it was...

Somehow a guitar muscled its way in...

Could've been worse...could've been a squealing pig...

Written By: bj26 on 08/03/05 at 5:44 pm

For many readers Dickey's name is closely linked to the novel Deliverance. This tale of four businessmen from Atlanta, whose weekend canoe trip in the hills of north Georgia ends in death and disaster, cemented the public persona that Dickey had been building throughout his career. A number of critics have faulted the novel for its stereotypical portrayal of North Georgia hillbillies, ignorance, inbreeding, and violence. An accurate portrayal was probably not Dickey's intention (he does camouflage place names). Rather, he explores several of his basic themes: the collision of civilized and uncivilized worlds, the struggle of the modern individual to maintain, or recover, connections with his primal nature, and the retreat of nature against the advances of science and technology. The book to which the novel has often been compared is the one with which it shows the closest affinity: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, in which a civilized man discovers, and must learn to live with, the savagery of his essential nature. John Boorman's film of Deliverance, based on Dickey's screenplay and featuring him in a small role as a sheriff,
perpetuated the stereotypes in the novel and boosted its notoriety and popularity. Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds were featured actors in the film, which was nominated for three Academy and five Golden Globe awards. 
 http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/media_content/m-535_thumb.jpg
James Dickey in Deliverance

Written By: makdafi on 08/04/05 at 12:14 pm

It's a pretty good movie I guess, What happened to burt's career lol, now he's doing remakes of stuff from the 70's.

Written By: w on 08/05/05 at 7:52 pm

Has anyone else ever heard the song"Ned Beatty Had The Hardest Part".? It's about Ned's part in the movie. I thought it was great. W.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/06/05 at 6:15 pm

OUCH..THATS THE FIRST THING I SAY WHEN I THINK OF DELIVERENCE..WHEN I WAS A KID MY DAD ALWAYS TOOK ME TO MOVIES WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT..I SAW STAR WARS IN SURROUND SOUND...YEA!... BUT WHEN GOOD OLD DAD TOOK ME TO SEE DELIVERENCE I THINK HE FREAKED ABOUT THE TIME NED BEATTY WAS SQUEALIN"...IT IS A CLASSIC THO..I RECENTLY BOUGHT IT ON DVD AND HAVE WATCHED IT SEVERAL TIMES IN THE PAST MONTH..I ALWAYS WONDER THO...BURT REYNOLDS WAS SUCH A BIG STAR THEN AND HES LIKE OUT OF IT PRACTICALLY THE WHOLE MOVIE..WHATS UP WITH THAT? ;D

Written By: PhillipG on 08/08/05 at 5:52 am

Originally written for a pair of banjos back in the forties/fifties, it was...

Somehow a guitar muscled its way in...

Could've been worse...could've been a squealing pig...
The original name of the tune was Feudin' Banjos composed by Arthur Smith in 1955 . It wasn't called Dueling Banjos' until this movie . The guitar part was in the script and that's how it's stayed .

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:15 pm

Oh My........... :o
Wouldn't be My choice for gettin' together with a bunch of drunken Guys.... ;)

Oh yeah it's a cheap crappy film, but great for a boys drunken night in!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:41 pm

While on a shoot outside of Atlanta, I took the opportunity to visit old friends who had moved to N. Georgia. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was in Cobb County, home to the 6 fingered Banjo Boy. He had worked at the local hardware store there until he died a few years back.

Check for new replies or respond here...