inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" Shampoo

Written By: Katherine on 08/02/05 at 10:30 am

Remember that shampoo?  I don't remember what it smelled like..(.probably flowers)
But the scent did linger on the hair.

There was even a commercial.

Subject: Re: "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" Shampoo

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/05 at 2:42 pm

Remember that shampoo?  I don't remember what it smelled like..(.probably flowers)

Here ya go ;)

Written By: lorac614 on 08/03/05 at 4:56 pm

I heard that even after it was no longer sold in the US, it remained popular in the Philippines.

It's available again, I know people sell it on e-bay and there are quite a few sites that sell it. 

We used this shampoo all the time when we were kids, maybe I'll order some.  I wonder if it will smell as good today as I remember it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 6:54 am

Do you guys remember a shampoo in the 70's that was made with beer being on of the ingredients?

Erin :)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/04/05 at 7:20 am

Do you guys remember a shampoo in the 70's that was made with beer being on of the ingredients?

I don't know the name of it, but I remember them talking about that a couple years back on VH1's I Love the 70's.  :)

Written By: lorac614 on 08/04/05 at 8:29 am

Wasn't that "Body on Tap"??

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 10:43 am

Wasn't that "Body on Tap"??

YES....that was totally it!! LOL! Thanks!

Written By: JT1972 on 08/07/05 at 8:24 pm

YES....that was totally it!! LOL! Thanks!

I was helping my grandmother clean up not too long ago and in the back of her toiletry closet there was enough vintage product to start a vintage cosmetics store. All kinds of Avon perfume, bubble baths, powders etc. Next to the bottle of Jhirmack Silver Lights was a bottle of Body On Tap. It was a tall plastic brown bottle with a narrow neck. It had a green label and green cover.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/07/05 at 10:57 pm

I was helping my grandmother clean up not too long ago and in the back of her toiletry closet there was enough vintage product to start a vintage cosmetics store. All kinds of Avon perfume, bubble baths, powders etc. Next to the bottle of Jhirmack Silver Lights was a bottle of Body On Tap. It was a tall plastic brown bottle with a narrow neck. It had a green label and green cover.

awesome! you should take that little collection and put it up on Ebay...you just might make a few bucks!

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:01 pm

8) I loved Gee your hair smells Terrific too! And ..Do you remember this one ladies....The FARRAH shampoo that came out after Charlies Angels?..I wanted soo bad for my hair to look like hers!!! ..lol..

Written By: TheRemf on 09/26/05 at 2:00 pm

I remember a girlfriend using the Farrah shampoo.  I almost always used Agree back in the late 70s, although I remember using Body on Tap a few times, too.

Written By: Martha in TX on 11/13/05 at 10:45 pm

8) I loved Gee your hair smells Terrific too! And ..Do you remember this one ladies....The FARRAH shampoo that came out after Charlies Angels?..I wanted soo bad for my hair to look like hers!!! ..lol..

I would buy that Body of Tap out of Grandma's medicine cabinet- seriously.... I want that, Body on Tap and Farrah Fawcett-- they were ALL great!!  Anyone find any helpful links or bathroom finds- post and I'll buy them for sure! 

Written By: elgato on 07/17/06 at 3:41 pm

My dad was the "Gee your hair smells terrific" guy... he used to show me the video all the time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/06 at 4:12 pm

Every time I hear/think about "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific" I think about this girl I knew in Jr. High. She used to say, "Gee, your hair smells....gee, your hair smells!"  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/06 at 4:32 pm

Every time I hear/think about "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific" I think about this girl I knew in Jr. High. She used to say, "Gee, your hair smells....gee, your hair smells!"  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Oh, that's rotten!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/06 at 4:38 pm

Oh, that's rotten!  ;D

Yeah, it was. But I couldn't help but laugh whenever she said it.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/06 at 4:53 pm

Yeah, it was. But I couldn't help but laugh whenever she said it.

Cat

No doubt...

That's too funny!  ;D

Written By: Tinkerbell on 07/19/06 at 1:16 pm

Fabrege Wheat Germ and Honey shampoo!  The  original Herbal Essence.  Lemon Up shampoo with the lemon on the top. 

I still remember catching whiffs of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific at school.  You always could tell who used it. 

Written By: berger on 07/20/06 at 11:00 am

I remember using "Agree" just for the smell of it!
Always thought it smelled better than "Gee, your hair smells terrific"

Written By: gemini on 07/20/06 at 12:06 pm

Fabrege Wheat Germ and Honey shampoo!  The  original Herbal Essence.  Lemon Up shampoo with the lemon on the top. 

I still remember catching whiffs of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific at school.  You always could tell who used it. 

I had forgotten about Lemon Up shampoo. How about Body On Tap, was supposed to have beer in it? Just thought of 2 more. Twice As Nice and Short and Sassy. I tried to find a pic of Twice As Nice, but no luck. Wasn't it in a clear bottle and you could see the 2 colors through the bottle?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/06 at 12:31 pm

I had forgotten about Lemon Up shampoo. How about Body On Tap, was supposed to have beer in it? Just thought of 2 more. Twice As Nice and Short and Sassy. I tried to find a pic of Twice As Nice, but no luck. Wasn't it in a clear bottle and you could see the 2 colors through the bottle?

I remember those. I also remember the "sister" to Short and Sassy called Long and Silky.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/20/06 at 12:40 pm

I remember those. I also remember the "sister" to Short and Sassy called Long and Silky.

Cat

Ah, forgot that one too!

Written By: kairi747 on 07/21/06 at 12:52 am

anyone remember love's baby soft shampoo?  i wish they still made that one!  there's another shampoo i can't remember the name of, but i loved the way it smelled.  it was in a blue bottle - it wasn't finesse.  it had the matching conditioner but the bottle was a few shades lighter in color.

Written By: Lking on 07/21/06 at 1:04 pm

Do we remember the shampoo that you tell 2 friends and they'll tell 2 friends and so on and so on? :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/06 at 1:29 pm

Do we remember the shampoo that you tell 2 friends and they'll tell 2 friends and so on and so on? :D

Faberge.

I also remember Wella Balsam.

Cat

Written By: berger on 07/22/06 at 11:27 am

anyone remember love's baby soft shampoo?  i wish they still made that one!  there's another shampoo i can't remember the name of, but i loved the way it smelled.  it was in a blue bottle - it wasn't finesse.  it had the matching conditioner but the bottle was a few shades lighter in color.

Was it "Style"? It had a great smell too

Written By: kairi747 on 07/22/06 at 10:35 pm

Was it "Style"? It had a great smell too

hmm...that does sound familiar - maybe that's it!

Written By: Julesisme1 on 04/20/07 at 11:24 pm

I remember "Gee" like it was yesterday...ahhh, the 70s...    ;D    I had one precious bottle back then...and believe me, I was the Queen of Junior High for about 2 weeks.  hehe    I just saw this old magazine ad for it, hilarious!  http://www.stuckinthe70s.com/images/teenbeat0978gee.jpg

Written By: superbu on 08/22/07 at 7:56 pm

You know, VermontCountryStore.com is selling Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific.  They did not duplicate the bottle, unfortunately, but it is the authentic shampoo.  It's $12.95 for a large 12 oz. bottle, plus shipipng, whatever the shipping is.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=34785&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=SMELLS+TERRIFIC

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/22/07 at 8:52 pm

Every time I flip through my Seventeen magazines from the late 70's I always see those ads for Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific. I've always wanted to try out that shampoo just to see if my hair really would smell terrific!  ;D

Written By: NbC on 08/22/07 at 9:05 pm

You know, VermontCountryStore.com is selling Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific.  They did not duplicate the bottle, unfortunately, but it is the authentic shampoo.  It's $12.95 for a large 12 oz. bottle, plus shipipng, whatever the shipping is.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=34785&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=SMELLS+TERRIFIC

$12.95 plus shipping....You have got to be in a very nostalgic mood to shell out that much for a bottle of shampoo that honestly doesn't smell all that terrific. 

Written By: Lindee on 08/24/07 at 11:08 am

Some others from the 70s:

Earth Born  (Green Apple, Avocado and Peach scents)
Yucca Dew
Clairol Whipped Cream Rinse
The orignal Herbal Essence was the best (not the stuff they sell today)
Rejoice
PSSSST dry shampoo

Written By: KKay on 08/24/07 at 1:11 pm

body on tap smelled great.  gee, your hair smells terrific was ok, but you needed no more tears with it.

but I remember "they told two friends and they told two friends and so on and so on and so on..."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/07 at 1:43 pm

When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, I remember hearing a "What's grosser than gross" joke that was dedicated to this particular product:

Q. What's grosser than gross?

A. When a midget walks up to you and says, "Gee, your hair smells terrific!"

Written By: Ass Double on 08/25/07 at 1:03 am

Yeah -- especially if the midget is behind you.

Written By: rabbit on 10/30/07 at 11:39 pm

I have been reading about shampoos from the 70's on various message boards and I'm bugging out!  Many shampoos were mentioned... Gee your hair smells terrific, Body on tap, Prell, Agree, Milk plus 6, Herbal Essence, the Farah Fawcett one, among others, but not one person seems to remember my all-time favorite "DIMENSION".  It came in a yellow bottle with the word dimension on an "angle" and there were stripes of orange and brown and gold (sooooooo seventies)!!!! My best friend and I loved the smell so much.  One day when it was raining outside, we ran into a drugstore and bought a bottle of dimension and shampooed our hair outside right on the street in the rain.  We had such fun lathering up and laughing at what we were doing (this is occuring on a busy NYC street by the way) and in the midst of all the fun, it stopped raining.  We now had shampoo in our hair that we couldn't rinse out.  We ran to a friend's house that lived the closest to where we were and he let us in and we rinsed our shampooed heads in his kitchen sink. True story.  Oh to be young and silly....

Written By: Brigitte on 10/31/07 at 8:16 pm

Here's an ad for clairol herbal essence from the 70's
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/clairolherbal.jpg

Written By: Lindee on 11/01/07 at 10:43 am

Here's an ad for clairol herbal essence from the 70's
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/clairolherbal.jpg

I remember that ad from alot of the magazines I used to buy.

Written By: NYC1414 on 01/09/08 at 5:27 pm

This has been so much fun remembering all these products from the 1970's.  What about a shampoo & conditioner in a white bottle almost hour-glass shaped with blue lettering and a blue round top?
Anyone remember this?  BTW, you are right... body on tap did smell so good!!

Written By: NYC1414 on 01/09/08 at 5:33 pm

Check this out!!

http://www.stuckinthe70s.com/products.htm

Written By: Lindee on 01/09/08 at 6:48 pm

Check this out!!

http://www.stuckinthe70s.com/products.htm

I remember all those products from the 70s like it was yesterday .

Written By: Florence on 01/16/08 at 9:17 pm

ok I found out....  It's called TAME and it also smelled great.  Did anyone use it??

Written By: Florence on 01/16/08 at 9:21 pm

My dad was the "Gee your hair smells terrific" guy... he used to show me the video all the time.

was your dad really the guy in the commercial??  He was so handsome!  Do you have a copy of the ad you can post?? 

Written By: KKay on 01/19/08 at 10:35 am

I loved the shampoo.

but i have to say, my hair smells pretty terrific right now.

Written By: gemini on 01/24/08 at 1:27 pm

Here it is if you want to pay 14.95 for a bottle.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=34785&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=gee+your+hair+smells+terrific

Written By: KKay on 01/24/08 at 1:29 pm

I"m considering it.

Written By: gemini on 01/24/08 at 1:36 pm

I"m considering it.

They also have the Sweet Earth solid fragrance that I used to LOVE in the 70s, it's 19.95 and I swear, I'm dying to order it against my better judgement. I just won't listen to that other voice in my head telling me it's too expensive.

Written By: KKay on 01/24/08 at 1:41 pm

They also have the Sweet Earth solid fragrance that I used to LOVE in the 70s, it's 19.95 and I swear, I'm dying to order it against my better judgement. I just won't listen to that other voice in my head telling me it's too expensive.

if we lived closer we could split it.

Written By: gemini on 01/24/08 at 1:43 pm

if we lived closer we could split it.

Yea, probably not good to scoop some of it out and put it in a baggie and mail it to you.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 02/01/08 at 6:28 pm

I actually bought a bottle of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific on Ebay bout a month ago and it smells just like you bought it from the store. I won't use it...just for show. I also bought a bottle of Tame Creme Rinse too.
Wasn't there a shampoo in the late 70's called something like Spring Fresh? I remember an ad where they showed it sitting in a stream. It was kinda shaped like a jug.  I would love to find this one.

Written By: ninny on 02/01/08 at 10:36 pm

I actually bought a bottle of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific on Ebay bout a month ago and it smells just like you bought it from the store. I won't use it...just for show. I also bought a bottle of Tame Creme Rinse too.
Wasn't there a shampoo in the late 70's called something like Spring Fresh? I remember an ad where they showed it sitting in a stream. It was kinda shaped like a jug.  I would love to find this one.

My mom use to by the Tame creme rinse all the time,that and Prell & Breck shampoo's. I just don't remember Spring Fresh,tho I thought it might of been a deodorant

Subject: Re: 70"s Shampoo

Written By: earlene on 09/19/08 at 1:23 pm

The Vermont Country Store carries Lemon-up, Gee your Hair Smells Terrific, and PSSST online. A little pricey but worth the memories. Does anyone remember an Apple shampoo from then? It was soooo heavenly.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/19/08 at 6:01 pm

Does anyone remember pssssssst.. Thje shampoo you sprayed on and brushed out? I love Herbal Essence Shampoo. It used to smell so good like fresh cut flowers.

Subject: Re: 70"s Shampoo

Written By: Lindee on 09/19/08 at 9:19 pm

The Vermont Country Store carries Lemon-up, Gee your Hair Smells Terrific, and PSSST online. A little pricey but worth the memories. Does anyone remember an Apple shampoo from then? It was soooo heavenly.

Are you thinking of Earth Born shampoo? I  came in green apple, avocado, strawberry & apricot scents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/08 at 3:09 pm

Does anyone remember pssssssst.. Thje shampoo you sprayed on and brushed out? I love Herbal Essence Shampoo. It used to smell so good like fresh cut flowers.

I remember PSSSSSSST. We used to use it in theatre or on Halloween if we had to appear older so we would make our hair "gray" with it. What was funny, a few years back when I was volunteering, we had our annual clothing drive and the Vermont Country Story often made donations (usually EXTREMELY LARGE size clothing-our director was a pretty big woman and about 2 or 3 of her could fit into these sizes  :o :o :o ). One of the things they donated was a can of PSSSSSSST. I was floored. I hadn't seen a can of that for DECADES and didn't know it still existed. I think I should have scarfed it up but I didn't. I wouldn't know what do it with it. My hair is now gray naturally. lol

Cat

Written By: Kel on 01/07/09 at 2:10 pm

This has been so much fun remembering all these products from the 1970's.  What about a shampoo & conditioner in a white bottle almost hour-glass shaped with blue lettering and a blue round top?
Anyone remember this?  BTW, you are right... body on tap did smell so good!!
The shampoo I remember well---is um..Prell..the thick green stuff that took forever to come out?  It was also very soapy too..

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/12/09 at 7:24 pm

That shampoo was popular for some years. I've always wondered why it dissapeared from the stores. 

Written By: Tammy on 05/04/10 at 6:10 pm

I ordered what was obviously the Vermont Country Store's version of Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific and was sorely disappointed because it smells NOTHING like the original.  8-P  Unfortunately, every single "retro" thing I and some friends have purchased from VCS have not smelled like the originals from perfumes to the shampoos.  Save your money is my advice.

Written By: Queenie on 03/24/11 at 11:53 pm

I also ordered the Gee, You're Hair Smells Terrific shampoo and Body on Tap.  Gee... smells nothing like the original but the Body on Tap smelled very close to the original.  Kinda disappointed with the first one.  I remember the Gee... shampoo came in a sort of dark pink bottle and the conditioner came in a blue bottle, which I haven't been able to find.

Check for new replies or respond here...