inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sid and Marty Kroft shows

Written By: Carl on 08/05/05 at 11:33 am

I remember wtching shows like 'Land of the Lost' and 'Sigmund and the SeaMonsters'. I recall a character HR Puff N' Stuff too. Anyone remember more?

Subject: Re: Sid and Marty Kroft shows

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/05 at 12:02 pm

Lidsville was my favorite. Of course there was no accounting for taste when I was about 10.  :D

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/05/05 at 12:30 pm

I remember wtching shows like 'Land of the Lost' and 'Sigmund and the SeaMonsters'. I recall a character HR Puff N' Stuff too. Anyone remember more?

I liked the show HR Puff N' Stuff!  :D

Written By: lorac614 on 08/05/05 at 1:29 pm

What about The Bugaloos (sp??)

I remember all of those shows!!

Written By: Carl on 08/05/05 at 3:26 pm

Yep, I saw a few of those episodes.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/05/05 at 5:06 pm

How about "Wonderbug" and "Electro Woman & Dyna Girl?"

H.R. Pufnstuf was a little bit before my time, but "Mr. Show With Bob & David" had a hilarious spoof of it called "The Altered State Of Druggachussetts."

Written By: Sammy Reed on 08/05/05 at 6:47 pm

I have wanted to say this, and I hope I found the right place to. I just hope this isn't too off-topic.

I think that song "Journey to the Center of the Mind" has that Krofft-theme kind of sound to it. Does anyone agree, or am I just crazy?

Written By: lilleo1968 on 08/07/05 at 6:07 am

Did you know that season 1 of Land of The Lost is rife with writers from various Sci-Fi shows.  One episode about a device called a Maghetti was written by Walter Koenig(Checkov/Bester) From Star Trek/Babylon 5.  I highly reccomend picking up the series on DVD. :)

Written By: Skippy on 08/07/05 at 9:46 am

Did anyone catch the TVLand Sid & Marty Kroft special a while back? They aired all the Kroft shows for one weekend.
  Me thinks Sid & Marty had a secret stash of an illegal substance somewhere.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/05 at 1:15 pm

Did anyone catch the TVLand Sid & Marty Kroft special a while back? They aired all the Kroft shows for one weekend.
  Me thinks Sid & Marty had a secret stash of an illegal substance somewhere.  ;D

I agree with you. But, I think YOU would need a "secret stash of an illegal substance" to sit there was watch it for an entire weekend.  :o

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 08/07/05 at 7:24 pm

I agree with you. But, I think YOU would need a "secret stash of an illegal substance" to sit there was watch it for an entire weekend. 

I was er......um.......doing.........you know............research.  ::)  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/05 at 11:09 am

I was er......um.......doing.........you know............research.  ::)  ;)

Yeah, yeah. Sure, I believe you.  ;)

Cat

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:08 pm

:D  I love this!! Yea..Im doing research too.. lol............. Land of the lost was one of my absolute faves!!!!..the SLEEZAKS..was that what they were called??.. the little colored gems and what not?? everytime I go canoeing when we hit the falls im havin a flashback..lol!..and sigmund was a great one too..The shellaphone...Im trippin!!..  Wasnt the older brother the guy who was on that show with the doll...Mrs. Beasley??? OMG..Im goin soooo far back..

Written By: Skippy on 08/08/05 at 10:57 pm

Wasnt the older brother the guy who was on that show with the doll...Mrs. Beasley???

Yep, "Family Affair". Jody, Buffy(committed suicide in the late 70's I believe), Sissy, Uncle Bill, Mr. French. Possibly one of the earliest disfunctional TV families.

Yeah...research.....that's the ticket...yeah.........LOL

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 11:16 pm

:D Thx Skippy!!  Yep..Family Affair..I remember now seeing the VH1 special about Where are they now...she did commit suicide..SAD..I have my Mrs. Beasley doll still..Got a pic of me holding her when i was 3..I think..Wish my scanner wasnt on the fritz..will post it soon..Mrs. Beasley..with her blue and white outfit..lol...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/05 at 11:52 am

Yep, "Family Affair". Jody, Buffy(committed suicide in the late 70's I believe), Sissy, Uncle Bill, Mr. French. Possibly one of the earliest disfunctional TV families.

Yeah...research.....that's the ticket...yeah.........LOL

FYI, not only did "Buffy" commit suicide, so did "Uncle Bill" a few years ago.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 08/09/05 at 5:13 pm

FYI, not only did "Buffy" commit suicide, so did "Uncle Bill" a few years ago.

I forgot about that. He was suffering from lung cancer and emphysema. His daughter killed herself only a few months earlier. I really liked him "Hardcastle & McCormick" and "Parent Trap".  :\'(

Written By: guest on 08/14/05 at 4:11 pm

Other sad news for HR Pufnstuf fans....

as of last summer 'darlin' Jack Wild who was Jimmy and Artful Dodger developed throat cancer and had his vocal chord and tongue removed!

If you've go t anything with him singing on it ..they are trapped in time forever! We'll never hear those dulcet tones again! :\'(

Written By: Mushroom on 08/17/05 at 1:53 pm

Did you know that season 1 of Land of The Lost is rife with writers from various Sci-Fi shows.  One episode about a device called a Maghetti was written by Walter Koenig(Checkov/Bester) From Star Trek/Babylon 5.  I highly reccomend picking up the series on DVD. :)

THis was mostly because S&M did one smart thing when they developed the show, they contacted David Gerrold.

David Gerrold was the writer of the most popular episodes of both Star Trek (The Trouble WIth Tribbles), and the Star Trek animated series (More Tribbles, More Troubles).  He then brought in a lot of the talent behind ST-TOS.  Walter Koenig was just one of these members.  He also brought in real Sci-Fi writers for stories, like Ben Bova, Larry Niven, Norman Spinrad, and Theodore Sturgen.

David Gerrold wrote the pilot episode, and helped set up most of the "Mythology" behind the show.  Sleestaks, Pylons, and a lot of the backgraound came from him.  But after the first season, S&M complained that it was "to intellectual", and he left rather then "dumb down" the show.  This is why the 2nd & 3rd seasons were lacking in creativity when compared to the 1st.

But this was still a revolutionary series.  S&M were innovators when it came to "Live Action" Saturday Morning shows.  H.R. Pufnstuf, Bigfoot & Wildboy, and many more.  They also did work in Prime-time, with shows like "Donny & Marie", The Krofft Supershow (which was hosted by The Bay City Rollers), The Brady Bunch Hour, Barbara Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters, and D.C. Follies.

And in pre-production now (with a 2007 release date) are movie versions of "H.R. Pufnstuf" and "Land Of The Lost".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/05 at 12:24 pm

Other sad news for HR Pufnstuf fans....

as of last summer 'darlin' Jack Wild who was Jimmy and Artful Dodger developed throat cancer and had his vocal chord and tongue removed!

If you've go t anything with him singing on it ..they are trapped in time forever! We'll never hear those dulcet tones again! :\'(

I heard about this. Haven't heard anyone of late about his condition.  (Yes, I have the soundtrack to Oliver as well as the video)

BTW, did you know that Jack Wild was also in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives. He played one of the guys who brought Marian to Robin.

Cat

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/29/09 at 7:35 am

Fave Sid and Marty Krofft Shows:

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
HR Pufnstuf
Lidsville
Dr Shrinker

Written By: robby76 on 12/29/09 at 8:12 am

The ones that hold the fondest memories are Bigfoot & Wildboy and Lidsville (even though Lidsville was a little creepy).

Written By: Frank on 12/29/09 at 12:31 pm

Fave Sid and Marty Krofft Shows:

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
HR Pufnstuf
Lidsville
Dr Shrinker

HR Pufnstuf was great. Looking back on it now, seems pretty wacky stuff.
Jack Wild was great in that role.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/29/09 at 4:48 pm

Intros to:

Lidsville:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpd8zg5VWA&feature=PlayList&p=3D913E69448FF9A1&index=0&playnext=1

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3U9BuOMkmM&feature=PlayList&p=E90337FF0CA4C615&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Far Out Space Nuts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtERZW63jF8&feature=PlayList&p=09309AD059D65174&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=80

Dr. Shrinker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqPQlja0VSI

HR Pufnstuf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg

Written By: Frank on 01/15/10 at 1:19 am

Intros to:

Lidsville:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpd8zg5VWA&feature=PlayList&p=3D913E69448FF9A1&index=0&playnext=1

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3U9BuOMkmM&feature=PlayList&p=E90337FF0CA4C615&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Far Out Space Nuts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtERZW63jF8&feature=PlayList&p=09309AD059D65174&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=80

Dr. Shrinker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqPQlja0VSI

HR Pufnstuf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obxfuFrUTzg

These were good and "far out" shows.

Check for new replies or respond here...