inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: can someone help on the age of an old soda bottle?

Written By: arnbaltos on 08/16/05 at 1:20 am

I have an old 7 UP bottle, 100 ounces.  The slogan on it says "7 UP- YOU LIKE IT, IT LIKES YOU".........I was curious if anyone could help me with finding out how old it is....are there numbers on the bottom that would tell me something?

I also have an Old Milwaukee beer can dated 1973...does that mean it was made in that year?

Subject: Re: can someone help on the age of an old soda bottle?

Written By: Sammy Reed on 08/16/05 at 7:32 pm

I have an old 7 UP bottle, 100 ounces.  The slogan on it says "7 UP- YOU LIKE IT, IT LIKES YOU".........I was curious if anyone could help me with finding out how old it is....are there numbers on the bottom that would tell me something?

I think you mean 10 ounces, right?
     Anyway, I have a pop bottle collection, and I have a 7UP bottle just like that. I have learned that there is a 2-digit number engraved (not printed) somewhere on most pop bottles that says the year they were made. On the bottom of my 7UP bottle, there is the number 69, then what looks like a @, then a bunch of other numbers. The 69 indicates the bottle was made in 1969.
     Those Coke bottles are something else! On 16-ounce Coke bottles, the 2-digit number is near the bottom of the bottle, and on the bottom it plainly states the city and state where it was bottled!

Written By: bj26 on 08/17/05 at 6:45 am

I think you mean 10 ounces, right?
     Anyway, I have a pop bottle collection, and I have a 7UP bottle just like that. I have learned that there is a 2-digit number engraved (not printed) somewhere on most pop bottles that says the year they were made. On the bottom of my 7UP bottle, there is the number 69, then what looks like a @, then a bunch of other numbers. The 69 indicates the bottle was made in 1969.
     Those Coke bottles are something else! On 16-ounce Coke bottles, the 2-digit number is near the bottom of the bottle, and on the bottom it plainly states the city and state where it was bottled!
lol 100 oz bottle, that threw me too!  Way back when, all the kids used to sit around after church and have Cokes and look at the bottom of the bottles to see where they were from.  We believed the Coke tasted differenf from various cities, I forgot where the best stuff came from, maybe Atlanta.  We would make fun of the kid who got the Coke from the city where it tasted the worst :D

Written By: arnbaltos on 08/17/05 at 7:13 pm

Ok...yep. Caught my typo....it WAS 10 ounces.  If I read it right, my bottle is from 1967.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 08/17/05 at 9:22 pm

On the bottom of my 7UP bottle, there is the number 69, then what looks like a @, then a bunch of other numbers. The 69 indicates the bottle was made in 1969.

Now that I look at it again, I notice I was reading it upside-down. On my bottle, there's a G followed by a bunch of numbers, then the @ and 69.

Written By: arnbaltos on 08/18/05 at 12:54 am

Any thoughts on my old beer can from 1973?  Does that mean it is from 1973?

I also at home have a believe an old windex tin spray can from 1973 also.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 08/18/05 at 10:03 am

Any thoughts on my old beer can from 1973?  Does that mean it is from 1973?

I also at home have a believe an old windex tin spray can from 1973 also.

Are those dates copyright dates? If so, this means that's when the printing was made, not necessarily the can. For example, before Extra gum changed their logo slightly not too long ago, the wrappers said "©1983" on them.

Written By: Skippy on 08/18/05 at 5:07 pm

Any thoughts on my old beer can from 1973?

What type of tab is on top of the beer can? Removable pull tabs were used from 1962 thru the mid-1970's. The push tab was used from the mid-70's thru 1980 when the non-removable pull tab was introduced. If it has a removable pull tab, a good assumption would be between '73-'76

Written By: arnbaltos on 08/19/05 at 12:54 am

I believe it is the removable pull tab.

Check for new replies or respond here...