inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Posters and stickers...

Written By: Katherine on 08/23/05 at 12:58 pm

I thought I would start this topic, remembering back on my old room.  The walls were filled with posters.

Some of mine were, (of course) the one with the kitten with one paw hanging from the rope, with the phrase, "Hang in there baby"

Later I had one of the bald "zip lock" guy...need help with this one, holding a zip lock bag that had weed in it...I don't even remember the quote...Did anyone remember this one?

And one of the orange and black cat...again I don't know the artist's name...Starts with a K I think...Anyway he is playing a guitar and the words to the song was, I love to eat those mousie's, mouse's I love to eat, nibble on there little fingers...

Stickers...
STP...gas, but we always called it "Super Toilet Paper"
Flower power
Peace sign
Familare shoe sticker, it had a old fashoned bike and was purple.

Oh yeah, a rainbow poster and my friend had lots of butterfly posters...I don't remember any band or celebrity posters in my room, but I would have loved to have Peter Frampton.

Kat

Subject: Re: Posters and stickers...

Written By: gemini on 08/23/05 at 4:22 pm

I had alot of black light posters, some with just wild designs, and one I had was of a girl and a guy on top of a mountain. It was pretty popular back then. I had STP stickers too! And the different colors of flowers, peace signs, fuzzy feet stickers. Remember those fuzzy foot rugs? I had one of those in lime green.  I had those wacky packages stickers stuck all over, and smiley face stickers.  It's funny how you start typing this stuff and it all comes back to you. I had forgotten all about the wacky packages. This is really bringing back alot of memories. Thanks Kat!  :) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/05 at 6:41 pm

Styx
Dark Side of the Moon
Snoopy doing his dance saying "Feelin' groovy"
Holly Hobbie or Precious Moments (can't remember which one)
There was one which had the silhouette of a man and woman kissing and the saying was:

I do my thing and you do yours.
I'm not in the world to live up to your expectations and you are not in this world to live up to mine.
I am I and you are you and if by chance we find each other, it is beautiful.

-Frederick S. Pearl

Cat

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/23/05 at 7:45 pm

Does anyone remember the "Wacky Packages" stickers? 

As a kid those were my favorite stickers, in elementary school and then junior high, and they made great fun at a good thing to make fun of:  Corporate America.

Also the art work so well done.

Some of my favorites of the "Wacky Packages" include (but are not limited to):

"Peter Pain" peanut butter
"Koduck" film
"Tied" laundry detergent
"Run Tony Shells" -- which made of mobsters and the product, of pasta, at the same time
"Crusts" toothpaste 
"Mrs. Klean", "She'll clean the floor with Mr. Klean if she can find him."
"Quaker Oats"

and Topps@ and the "Wacky Packages" folks weren't above making fun of themselves when they had this sticker:

"Wormy Packages"

Yeah, the stick bubblegum you could do without and usually threw away, but the stickers themselves were GREAT!

Of course I hated that I stuck all of them on notebooks, because if you still had all 16 of the original series (1973 - 1977), in mint condition, they would be worth:  $5000. :o

Anyway does anyone else remember those "Wacky Packages" and do you still have some left over?  (Especially any that you are willing to sell).  And what was some of your favorites?

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 7:50 pm

I am surprised nobody has mentioned one of the iconic classics from the 1970's.  The famous picture of a cat hanging on the end of a rope.

Hang In There Baby!

Written By: Katherine on 08/23/05 at 9:54 pm

I cant remember Wacky pages, but I will ask some friends.

I did have, and mentioned the "hang in there baby" poster but mine was pink and a different kitten.
Thanks for the cool pic!

I would have liked to have had some of those blacklight posters, I didn't even have a blacklight :(

Does anyone remember those string pictures that you made by putting nails and wrapping thin string around them, kinda like a spyrograph look?..spyrograph, (speaking about 70's)
I just bought some thread and I am going to do one on black velvet for my son.

If anyone knows how to make them, please let me know.  It has been so many years!  I found one site that shows how to do a basic one.  All the others want money for a book.

Kat

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/23/05 at 11:28 pm

;D Katherine...I know the kitty thing you are thinking about...I swear I think its from Gary Larson's THe Far Side...Nibbling on they tiny feet!!!..I had the coffe cup a LLoonngg time ago and I loved it...I also had the one where the dog put a sign on the dryer for the cat that said.."Kat Fud In Here--"... It was soo funny!! I loved my posters too.. they went from black light..of course the Mushrooms"..the marijuana plants..peace signs..to the "heartthrobs"...I had all the rock bands first..Is it just me or did everyone think Peter Criss from KISS would be FINE..then when the makeup came off I was Like..DAMN..LOL....I also remember the string thing.too...I havent seen any for quite awhile...makes me think of the set where you could make your own "Potholders"...One Christmas my whole family got those multicolored things..But I was Soo proud..LOL...!!! ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 11:50 pm

I did have, and mentioned the "hang in there baby" poster but mine was pink and a different kitten.
Thanks for the cool pic!

Sorry, I missed it.  I see that you did mention it.

I would have liked to have had some of those blacklight posters, I didn't even have a blacklight :(

Does anyone remember those string pictures that you made by putting nails and wrapping thin string around them, kinda like a spyrograph look?..spyrograph, (speaking about 70's)
I just bought some thread and I am going to do one on black velvet for my son.

Oh my Spirograph!  I remember my mom having a "Super Spirograph", oh how I loved playing with that!  It had these pieces that you could assemble to make squares, triangles, or whatever shape you wanted, instead of making just round graphs.  I wish they would bring those back.

Try doing a Google for "String Art".  Here is a page I found telling you how to do your own:

http://www.mathcats.com/crafts/stringart.html

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/24/05 at 7:33 am

Remember the Mr Yuck ads that were designed to teach kids about the dangers of household poisons?  He had an ugly green face and sported this frown and it looked like he was sticking his tougue out at people.  I think they had Mr Yuck stickers when I was a kid.

Written By: Katherine on 08/24/05 at 12:07 pm

Not to get off the topic, but...I want that spiroghaph!!!

I will have to check out Ebay, because I can never find it in thrift stores.  Maybe they still have it at toy shops.

With kids using computers all the time, they never get to do those fun things we use to do growing up, like the things you guy's have mentioned.

We use to sit around beading, macrame-ing, doing those potholders and spirographs...really kept us busy.

I have a bag I keep for when my friends bring their kids over, stickers art stuff, etc...The spirograph and other things will be great to add to my "kids bag"  It is suprising how much fun they have with the "unconventional" toys they have these days, wheelo's, Clacker's, etc...

You guys keep reminding me of the "old days", so I will throw this one out along with the poster topic...
Did you get to paint your room?  I had a friend that had hers neon pink and her brothers were neon green...They had a cool mom!

I got this great idea to do mine in "harvest gold" ick!  I think I was doing a whole theme with that color, trying to be more mature and stylish!  It was that or avocado green!

My other cool neighbors mom let us paint the game room, so we all had rainbows with sayings, mushrooms, etc., all drawn on with poster paint.  We even decopaged a door.

Kat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/24/05 at 2:37 pm

Remember the Mr Yuck ads that were designed to teach kids about the dangers of household poisons?  He had an ugly green face and sported this frown and it looked like he was sticking his tougue out at people.  I think they had Mr Yuck stickers when I was a kid.

Oh my I remember this one!  Another one of those things from the 1970's.

It seemed that according to some people, kids were drinking poison because of the "Skull And Crossbones" labels.  Apparently, some kids were thinking that it was "Pirate Food".  In order to prevent this, they invented "Mr. Yuck".

Believe it or not, I still sometimes sing the song that went along with the TV promotions trying to get it on all products.

Mr. Yuck is mean,
Mr. Yuck is green!

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/24/05 at 3:39 pm

Oh my I remember this one!  Another one of those things from the 1970's.

It seemed that according to some people, kids were drinking poison because of the "Skull And Crossbones" labels.  Apparently, some kids were thinking that it was "Pirate Food".  In order to prevent this, they invented "Mr. Yuck".

Believe it or not, I still sometimes sing the song that went along with the TV promotions trying to get it on all products.

Mr. Yuck is mean,
Mr. Yuck is green!

That picture looks great!

Written By: Katherine on 08/24/05 at 11:21 pm

I just found out about that orange and white cat poster, playing the guitar and singing about mousie's and other 70's stickers, etc...
The artist was B. Kliban.  It was not the far side guy...I think he was in the 80's

Anyway, that is the poster I had too.

Kat

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/25/05 at 3:16 am

8) OK KAT!!!! Your right.. My MOM set me straight this am..LOL..She loves the Goofy cat stuff too!!..Do you remember the Kat Fud one??..It was soo Funny... Guess I mighta been smokin weed..LOL!!!!!!  anyway...besides the velvet posters I mentioned before ..Of course I had alll the "Pull out" posters from "Teen Beat"..and all the other teen mags...my whole room was covered,,except for the wall directly behind my bed...I paint Murals..I had Jim Morrison on the left...a unicorn in the middle..and on the right side I had the old man on the mountain holding the latern from Led Zep..The signs for each.. rainbow and triangle from Dark Side Of the Moon...Etc..My wall was Soo cool.. Ev other inch was covered with posters from ev rock star..to movie heart throbs...U name it...and I had the beads hanging down from my doorway.. and of course the Lava Lamp....I miss my room!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/25/05 at 4:59 pm

I just found out about that orange and white cat poster, playing the guitar and singing about mousie's and other 70's stickers, etc...
The artist was B. Kliban.  It was not the far side guy...I think he was in the 80's

Anyway, that is the poster I had too.

Oh yes, the "Kliban Cats".  That was a huge fad in the late 70's and early 80's.  He did a lot of various drawings, often parodies of earlier works of art like "American Gothic".  His drawing style was normally black & white, and was normally so crisp, it was almost surrealistic (similar to M.C. Escher).

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/26/05 at 12:37 am

;D  Mushroom!!!!!!!!!!! I am smiling so BIG right now!!! Thats the one!! mousies!!! LOL>>>>>>..OK..besides the posters and stickers....I had a HUGE collection of Roach Clips..( the ones with the colored feathers hanging down..)...I had them clipped to ev poster and all around my lampshade....I always got new ones at the Mid South Fair  ev year..I even wore them clipped in my hair!!!! 

Written By: Katherine on 08/26/05 at 8:51 am

It sounds like you had a cool room.  I would have been jealous!
And I do remember and my mom still has cards by L.G.  She always put out the "cat fud" one.  It is  still around.

Thanks for the picture Mushroom.  That is the poster I was talking about!  Now I know the whole song!
My brother has a cardboard stand up K. cat.  I always see it in his garage, so I emailed him to get the name.
Your information on his art is very interesting...I would like to see more of his work.  I will search the web.

One more thing in my room...I  nailed all these carpet remnants to the floor and made a patchwork floor.
It is still there!  My mom uses the room for clothes and all her other junk.
Some of the remnants must have been all wool, over the years they have actually eaten a few of the "patches!" 
My mom always gets gets mad because she say's that is why there are so many moths up there eating her sweaters!

Kat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/26/05 at 11:45 am

Thanks for the picture Mushroom.  That is the poster I was talking about!  Now I know the whole song!
My brother has a cardboard stand up K. cat.  I always see it in his garage, so I emailed him to get the name.
Your information on his art is very interesting...I would like to see more of his work.  I will search the web.

Though Kliban started his most well known phase of illustration in the mid 1970's, it became most well known in the 1980's.  Gary Larsen and Jim Davis were both influenced heavily by him.  Larsen created Far Side, based on his work, as did Davis with "Garfield".

The "Cat Craze" in the early 1980's started because of him.  And of course there was the anti-cat works, like "101 Uses For A Dead Cat", which was illustrated in a similar style to Kliban.

Some of my favorite works of his was when he copied other more famous paintings, like Rousseau's "Sleeping Gypsy".

On E-Bay I saw a bunch of his stuff today, including the screen saver collection I took the picture from.

And here is a site if you want some great hi-res desktop backgrounds.

http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/CatDreams_01/index.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/05 at 1:22 pm

Though Kliban started his most well known phase of illustration in the mid 1970's, it became most well known in the 1980's.  Gary Larsen and Jim Davis were both influenced heavily by him.  Larsen created Far Side, based on his work, as did Davis with "Garfield".

The "Cat Craze" in the early 1980's started because of him.  And of course there was the anti-cat works, like "101 Uses For A Dead Cat", which was illustrated in a similar style to Kliban.

Some of my favorite works of his was when he copied other more famous paintings, like Rousseau's "Sleeping Gypsy".

On E-Bay I saw a bunch of his stuff today, including the screen saver collection I took the picture from.

And here is a site if you want some great hi-res desktop backgrounds.

http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/CatDreams_01/index.html

I remember "101 Ways to Use A Dead Cat" but do you remember "Cat's Revenge: 101 Ways to Use a Dead People" ?  :D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 08/26/05 at 3:53 pm

I found 2 of the black light posters I had, here are the pics

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/05 at 12:03 pm

I found 2 of the black light posters I had, here are the pics

The bottom one looks like the one my sister had-not quite but a bit. Even without the black light, just staring at it, it looking like it was moving.

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/27/05 at 7:17 pm

I have an Abbey Road poster... 8)

Written By: gemini on 08/27/05 at 7:18 pm

The bottom one looks like the one my sister had-not quite but a bit. Even without the black light, just staring at it, it looking like it was moving.

Cat

Yea, that one could really mess with your head!   ;)

Written By: Katherine on 08/28/05 at 9:10 am

My sister was older "cooler".
She had all the "space out" when you look at them posters, a mushroom collection, rainbow striped rug, everything rainbow.  She had kaleidoscope's and those sand between the glass things, beaded strings on her windows,
We would get stoned and sit in her room, it was such a trip!  We just sat, laughed and spaced out, in augh of everything around us.
Now I know why she loved all those things so much!

Kat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/05 at 1:03 pm

Yea, that one could really mess with your head!  ;)

Especially when you have...um...taken some "herbal" substance.  :D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 08/28/05 at 2:32 pm

Especially when you have...um...taken some "herbal" substance.  :D

Cat

Catnip?  ;D  Or Oregano?  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/05 at 7:04 pm

Catnip?  ;D  Or Oregano?  :D

Yeah, yeah, that's it.  ;) :D ;D

Cat

Written By: Katherine on 08/29/05 at 9:28 am

Catnip?    Or Oregano?  Especially when you have...um...taken some "herbal" substance.

Yeah, it was portabello mushrooms once...we both still laugh at that today!
To this day her apartment is like an amusement park for any person or child.  I don"t know how she has all the wall space in her tiny apartment,  but old and new trippy things are sill around, hanging crystals and things that reflect light in "rainbows" at every movement of the sun! 
Yeah, she still loves that oregano, a lifer "hippie."  I grew out of that years ago.

Kat

Check for new replies or respond here...