inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Martial Art films

Written By: Carl on 08/26/05 at 1:40 pm

Man were these silly! The sound effects were so unreal, they fast forwarded the action, poorly dubbed in English for some of the films, but I used to watch from time to time. Go figure!  ::) Do my eyes decieve me, or was Kareem Abdul Jabaar in one of them?  :o

Subject: Re: Martial Art films

Written By: Mushroom on 08/26/05 at 5:15 pm

Man were these silly! The sound effects were so unreal, they fast forwarded the action, poorly dubbed in English for some of the films, but I used to watch from time to time. Go figure!  ::) Do my eyes decieve me, or was Kareem Abdul Jabaar in one of them?  :o

He sure was.  He was in "Game Of Death", with Bruce Lee.

My ultimate favorite of the era was "Jui Kuen", most commonly known as "Drunken Master", with Jackie Chan.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/30/05 at 7:19 pm

He sure was.  He was in "Game Of Death", with Bruce Lee.

My ultimate favorite of the era was "Jui Kuen", most commonly known as "Drunken Master", with Jackie Chan.

I am a fan of "The Big Brawl."

I like all Bruce Lee movies,little known fact,Jackie Chan was
a stunt man in "Fist Of Fury." he is the guy who gets kicked
about twenty feet in the garden towards the end of the movie.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/30/05 at 11:43 pm

;D  I know you are talking about films BUT... Martial arts to me started with the show KUNG FU...Snatch the pebble from my hand Grasshopper!!....I really loved Bruce Lee...He was gone way too young..and his son as well...Bruce was the pioneer of the martial arts films in the states...I wasnt into them in that time but my dad was..so I saw all of them..bruce was the MAN..

Written By: bj26 on 08/31/05 at 2:59 pm

Question for Mushroom:

I saw an interesting Bruce Lee flick about 2 karate/kung fu schools.  I think the Japanese school was bad and the Chinese school was good.  Anyway the Chinese kept getting beat up by the Japanese school. Then Bruce Lee helped the Chinese school defeat the bad guys.  Do you know this film?

Written By: loki 13 on 08/31/05 at 4:48 pm

Question for Mushroom:

I saw an interesting Bruce Lee flick about 2 karate/kung fu schools.  I think the Japanese school was bad and the Chinese school was good.  Anyway the Chinese kept getting beat up by the Japanese school. Then Bruce Lee helped the Chinese school defeat the bad guys.  Do you know this film?

i believe this movie was called "the chinese connection"

Written By: bj26 on 09/01/05 at 7:32 am

i believe this movie was called "the chinese connection"
Thanks, I remember the film was not of very good quality, but I liked Bruce Lee, he even had a knack for comedy. He disguised himself in the film to look like a humble telephone repair man in order to infiltrate the bad guy's dojo.

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/06/05 at 10:14 am

One of the most hillarious Martial Arts kung fu films i've seen from the 70s was one called Five Super Fighters. At least i think it was from the 70s, at least it sure looked like it. If you've seen it though i'm sure you know what i mean & just how much of a crack up it really is. My favourite ones were all the ninja related ones though. I also loved the Lone Wolf & Cub (Babycart) series of movies.

Written By: diabloscope on 10/01/05 at 1:07 am

Come on those movies  that have all been mentioned were good movies but the best ones were the ones YOU DIDNT remember !!!!   you remember the plots  and the characters   Kung Fu Theater / Black Belt Theater !!    They were all kool  !!  even the ones that didnt have dialog dubbed   ( in subtitled were equally kool )  Whish brings me to Akira Kurosawa  Awsome Director !!!!

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 10:04 am

Martial Arts Films became huge in the 70's.
I remember seeing the One Sheet Poster for Five Fingers of Death in a Theatre lobby and thinking "Oh,I gotta see that !"
Then.....All the Bruce Lee Films & Sonny Chiba.........The floodgates were opened.
Enter the Dragon-1973- was like a James Bond Film w/ Bruce Lee , Jim {Black Belt Jones} Kelly and John Saxon.
I liked : The Man From Hong Kong {released in the U.S. as The Dragon Flies} and Angela Mao in Deadly China Doll.
Best Martial Arts fight scene has to be Bruce fighting KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR in Game of Death. {on the 2 disc DVD Special Edition of Enter the Dragon,the Bruce/Kareem scene is shown w/ extra footage}

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:13 pm

For me, it all started with Green Hornet and Kato. I watched a lot of the Chop Suey flicks too, but they were too unbelievable, and unbelievably badly dubbed. Then you got the Chuck Norris era, and that was better suited to my taste.

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:20 pm

1966 was a great year for Me.
Batman and The Green Hornet ......talk about "Must see TV"........

For me, it all started with Green Hornet and Kato. I watched a lot of the Chop Suey flicks too, but they were too unbelievable, and unbelievably badly dubbed. Then you got the Chuck Norris era, and that was better suited to my taste.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:36 pm

Are you following me today???

:)

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:39 pm

Not really...But it is Valentine's day...... :-*

{isn't the point of the board to interact?  ;) *just kiddin"*

Are you following me today???

:)

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/14/09 at 12:42 pm

Whoa! Back the Love Bug up, bud  8-P

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 12:44 pm

Just joshin' there with You Capt.
I'm sure You're a cool Guy...But I don't roll that way either  8)

Whoa! Back the Love Bug up, bud  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...