inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think movies like "Dazed and Confused" accurately portrayed the 70s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/05 at 8:00 pm

I was just thinking about alot of movies which take place earlier than they were made in. It seems like they make it similar to what that era was truly like, but also throw in some "modern-ness" to the characters - either in slang, actions or just behavior.

When I watch Dazed and Confused, everyone seems to be 70s with a 1993 twist. Same with some late 90s movies like Detroit Rock City (made in 1999 and takes place in '78).

Even though I wasn't around then, D&C seems to be closer to the pop culture of 1973 or 74 than to 1976. The soundtrack relies on clwazooic/hard rock and nothing resembling disco (which exploded that year). Also, the ultra laid back nature, everyone smoking weed, trying to get l@id etc. strikes me as more like the lifestyle of the late 60s than being only four years away from the 80's.

So, in short, was that an accurate representation of teenage life in 1976, or semi exaggerated?

Subject: Re: Do you think movies like "Dazed and Confused" accurately portrayed the 70s?

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/01/05 at 12:48 pm

I can't really say because i was only born in the 70s & i'm too young just by a little bit to really remember anything much about popular teen culture at the time. I loved that movie though & what a great soundtrack too. It's set in a certain area in texas & focused on the lives of a particular demographic & group of seniors who were going to buy Aerosmith tickets at the end of the flick so that might explain the focus on that style of music. Altough i don't know if geography would have had anything to do with that. Maybe disco wasn't as popular in that part of the U.S. till later. I know that Richard Linklater basically wanted it to an accurate portrayl of his school days in the town he was growing up in & with the group of people he went to school with. I don't know, but i just saw Lords Of Dogtown & that had a similar sountrack & some of the same music in it or songs by some of the same bands at least. It had absolutley no disco, but i think that's for obvious reasons. They were more the rough & tuff, rag tag, rock/heavy metal type kids as opposed to disco. It was a good movie though, probably the best movie i've seen in the theatre this year & probably the best one i'll see set in or based on a concept from the 70s this year.

Subject: Re: Do you think movies like "Dazed and Confused" accurately portrayed the 70s?

Written By: loki 13 on 09/01/05 at 4:40 pm

I was just thinking about alot of movies which take place earlier than they were made in. It seems like they make it similar to what that era was truly like, but also throw in some "modern-ness" to the characters - either in slang, actions or just behavior.

When I watch Dazed and Confused, everyone seems to be 70s with a 1993 twist. Same with some late 90s movies like Detroit Rock City (made in 1999, takes place in '78).

Even though I wasn't around then, D&C seems to be closer to the pop culture of 1973 or 74 than to 1976. The soundtrack relies heavier on classic/hard rock than anything disco-like (which exploded that year). Also, the ultra laid back nature, everyone smoking weed, trying to get l@id etc. strikes me as more like the lifestyle of the late 60s than being only four years away from the 80's.

So, in short, was that an accurate representation of teenage life in 1976, or semi exaggerated?

i didn't see the movie yet but i spent my high school years  from 76 to 80
and i can tell you if the late 60,s was smoking weed and getting l@id then
it carried over because that is all we thought about then.as far as disco being
popular it was more of a regional thing.populated cities with a thrieving nightlife
was more apt to like disco.i far as i was concerned,a middle class suburbanite would
never dream of listening to disco.a popular shirt in my high school was DISCO S**KS.
after school it was,where's the party? and put some stone's on man.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/01/05 at 4:49 pm

:D I loved Dazed and Confused!! I really thought it was "Right On"...Its funny tho..even in the early 80s..I hung out with that crowd..I can totally relate to all the characters!!..I knew all of them..The older guy that was always in the Parking lot or the hangouts...he was like 20 but still hung with us..always scamming on the high school chicks..matthew Mcconoughy..aka RON in my crowd...( Funny I saw him when I was around 22 and he was a stock boy at Target..LOL )...The dude Slater..I knew a guy EXACTLY like him!!...Really all of em...Love that movie..I bought it..

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/05 at 6:43 pm

^ LOL. I don't know who I'm most like from that crowd myself, but they were all pretty cool (except for the freshman-beating bullies! This movie alone made me dread 9th grade, hehe).

Actually, I wonder how old Matthew McConoughy's character was. There was a line about "We were like 3 when he graduated." Of course me being the geek I am, figured that would make him around 32 or 33 in the present time (if the seniors were 17-18).

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/02/05 at 8:26 pm

Even though I was born in 1970, and I was just a little kid when this movie was supposed to take place, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that more accurately captured teenage life in America. I was especially impressed with the party scene, which IMO is the most realistic depiction of a high school party I've ever seen on film. Those John Hughes movies, where you have a bunch (25 year-olds playing) teenagers wearing sport jackets and ties and dancing in someone's living room while the Psychedelic Furs is blaring in the background? Total crap! Never been to a party that was even remotely like that. Whereas in Dazed and Confused, you have a large group of high school kids out in the woods standing around a keg, with your occasional couples sneaking off into the trees to make out, or maybe a fistfight breaking out? That was dead on. Most of the parties I went to in high school were just like that.
    Although drug use wasn't nearly as rampant (or out in the open) in the 80's, I still had a lot of friends who were stoners (and I'd partake myself, from time to time). Unfortunately, I'd have to say that when I was in high school, I was probably most like the long-haired nerd played by Adam Goldberg.  ;D
    But yeah, I knew a lot of people who were just like the characters in the movie. We even had the same fascist asshole coach who liked to yell at everyone!

One of my most favorite movies of all time!  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/05 at 8:35 am

^ Great points.

As much of a John Hughes movie nut as I am, I always thought some of the situations were as fictional as time travel probably is!

Now, I've never been a huge party animal or anything, but of the ones I have been to, it's very similar to Dazed and Confused - of course I always thought that's maybe cause the 90's and even today are sort of a "revived/new" 70's with fashions and certain pop culture.

On an off-note, the 80's did seem like the one decade where weed smoking was sort of "not mainstream". Not like people didn't do it, I'm sure tons still did, but from what I know, it was more viewed as a "burnout" thing to do (or the metalheads!). It was a big "Just say No" campaign time.

Written By: Acidpiss on 09/04/05 at 8:52 am

I didn't like Dazed and Confused, but loved the movie The Stoned Age. Anyone see it?

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/04/05 at 12:35 pm

On an off-note, the 80's did seem like the one decade where weed smoking was sort of "not mainstream". Not like people didn't do it, I'm sure tons still did, but from what I know, it was more viewed as a "burnout" thing to do (or the metalheads!). It was a big "Just say No" campaign time.

Why are people always rippin on metalheads. I resent that. Metalheads aren't burnouts, that's just a lame idiot MTV lemmings' stereotype. Also why does every movie  & TV show i've seen do a derogetory depiction of them that basically implies they are all creatons. Fu'kin MTV pop culture propaganda bullsh!t for brainless TV/radio lemmings. For the record i'm a metalhead & i smoked about 7 grams of extremly potent weed a day for 11 or 12 years & i'm still just as articulate & coherent as i've always been & i'm defininatly not slow. Don't smoke it anymore though because it's really a pointless & expensive addiction & it was d*mn hard to quit aswell.

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/04/05 at 12:55 pm

I didn't like Dazed and Confused, but loved the movie The Stoned Age. Anyone see it?

I don't know how someone could not like Dazed & Confused even if they don't like the 70s, the culure or those sort of films. The Stoned Age to put it simply was just plain ordinary & not as exciting in comparison. The characters were also not as likable. Dazed & Confused was an all round better film in every way.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/04/05 at 7:03 pm

Why are people always rippin on metalheads. I resent that. Metalheads aren't burnouts, that's just a lame idiot MTV lemmings' stereotype. Also why does every movie & TV show i've seen do a derogetory depiction of them that basically implies they are all creatons. Fu'kin MTV pop culture propaganda bullsh!t for brainless TV/radio lemmings. For the record i'm a metalhead & i smoked about 7 grams of extremly potent weed a day for 11 or 12 years & i'm still just as articulate & coherent as i've always been & i'm defininatly not slow. Don't smoke it anymore though because it's really a pointless & expensive addiction & it was d*mn hard to quit aswell.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean it in that way, lol. ;)

I more meant the people who smoked weed in the 80's tended to not be as wide as in past/future decades. I mean, today you'll find a sizable portion of "average" people (especially from, say 16 to 30) who do it. Same with the 60's and 70's. But in the 80's, it seemed to go underground a bit, and the people doing it were viewed at least by others as more "troublemakers" or "rebels" as opposed to the norm.

I couldn't see Dazed & Confused coming out in the 80's and being as successful as it was in 1993 - when the lifestyles and trends of the 70's had started resurging.

While I'm not a 'metalhead' in the strictest sense of the word (though I like a bit of semi mainstream 80's metal), I always thought the guys who were into hair bands, and Ozzy seemed pretty awesome. If I was my age now back then, I think I'd have enjoyed hanging out with them (even if I'm pretty tame in comparison to them!).

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/05/05 at 10:37 am

Sorry dude, I didn't mean it in that way, lol. ;)

I more meant the people who smoked weed in the 80's tended to not be as wide as in past/future decades. I mean, today you'll find a sizable portion of "average" people (especially from, say 16 to 30) who do it. Same with the 60's and 70's. But in the 80's, it seemed to go underground a bit, and the people doing it were viewed at least by others as more "troublemakers" or "rebels" as opposed to the norm.

I couldn't see Dazed & Confused coming out in the 80's and being as successful as it was in 1993 - when the lifestyles and trends of the 70's had started resurging.

While I'm not a 'metalhead' in the strictest sense of the word (though I like a bit of semi mainstream 80's metal), I always thought the guys who were into hair bands, and Ozzy seemed pretty awesome. If I was my age now back then, I think I'd have enjoyed hanging out with them (even if I'm pretty tame in comparison to them!).

Oh ok, sorry i mustn't have read your post very carefully. Sorry i didn't mean to be so snappy & defensive, but i had to stick up for myself all through highschool against a**holes who's attiudes were that metalheads are all idiot losers & total dorks etc etc. It was those dicks that were the actual dorks & had sh!t for brains though. I always the underdog & proud, sometimes maybe a little too proud.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/05/05 at 6:54 pm

^ I hear ya on that! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I had a decent amount of friends and was sorta popular, but I certainly was no stranger to being an "outsider" in high school. A guy in the late 90's still (partially) stuck in 1985! So yeah, I'd often have to defend something from the 80's or, at times, explain what it was it to some of my peers (esp the younger, born 1984 or 85 ones).

I was usually pretty good-natured and friendly, but on occasion when they thought "metal" was Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit (no offense to them personally, but they're not metal, they're rap-rock) and dissed classic bands like Ozzy, Motley Crue and 80s Bon Jovi, it got on my nerves too.

Written By: jackas on 09/05/05 at 9:08 pm

Those John Hughes movies, where you have a bunch (25 year-olds playing) teenagers wearing sport jackets and ties and dancing in someone's living room while the Psychedelic Furs is blaring in the background? Total crap! Never been to a party that was even remotely like that.

;D ;D  That's funny because a lot of our parties were like this ^ minus the dancing and sport jackets.  Oh, minus the 25 year olds too. :P

Written By: zcrito on 09/06/05 at 2:56 pm

I never could get past the title, "Dazed and Confused". I always found it offensive. I've only seen part of the movie and didn't care for it.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/06/05 at 3:39 pm

I've seen the movie a couple times and even have the soundtrack as well - to me it represented the 70's the way American Graffiti represented the 60's.  :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/09/05 at 12:57 am

8) riverside..Yep..That was a great interpretation...American Graffiti was a great representation of that time,,Why I can say that is that my Father was THERE...He was the Harrison Ford in that movie..with THE car ..DRAG racing...It was right on according..to my parents..AND I still say That Dazed and Confused was as well...I can totally relate to the Parties in the woods....Kegs...the Stealing of school mascots...The rampant drug use..Back then usually just pot and LUDES ....Bell bottoms...the abuse..TENDER..of the underclassmen....lol...I can TOTALLY relate to a time with a teacher coming up on us in the parking lot...after school had ended ..for the summer...we came to pick up our yearbooks...( for some reason, I cant remember why, we didnt get them before school let out..)..  We totally went off on a coach ...and one of the gym teachers...why they were there I dont Know..maybe..Atheletic training for the summer.. ???  Anyway...We told them basically the same thing...They asked us what our main 'Thing" to accomplish for the summer was and we all replied...To get front row seats...We were all leaving to Camp out that nite for zz top...The best of times..I miss em!!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/09/05 at 5:22 pm

now that i saw the movie last night i can give an honest answer.
not only is it accurate it was down right eerie.i made the transition
from 8th grade to high school in 1976 and this movie describes my
antics almost in full.some differences were that our initiation or freshman
day was held first day of high school not last day of jr.high.we didn't get
paddled we got perfume ,chanel #5, in the morning and eggs,lip stick,
shaving cream and bird seed after school.last,nobody had muscle cars.
other than that the movie was accurate.the high schoolers would throw
a beer bash for all graduating 8th graders.it was held in "the field" there was
as much beer and weed as you could handle.in the movie the kids came to the party
from the emporium .in our town it was "the roost".watching this movie was llike
watching an episode of "this is your life" i'm telling you it was eerie.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/05 at 6:04 pm

I never could get past the title, "Dazed and Confused". I always found it offensive. I've only seen part of the movie and didn't care for it.

I never really liked that movie either

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/10/05 at 1:00 pm

^ Great points.

As much of a John Hughes movie nut as I am, I always thought some of the situations were as fictional as time travel probably is!

Now, I've never been a huge party animal or anything, but of the ones I have been to, it's very similar to Dazed and Confused - of course I always thought that's maybe cause the 90's and even today are sort of a "revived/new" 70's with fashions and certain pop culture.

You know what, I think this is basically true.  People had the attitude your namesake had, aka "Marty McFly" from Back to the Future.  The Marty McFly, Alex P. Keaton preppy way was more in style.  Kids did got smashed a lot with beer, (that's a constant that I don't think that will ever change) but smoking weed was more of a loser thing to do.  It's interesting how it was that way in the 80s.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 2:15 pm

You know what, I think this is basically true.  People had the attitude your namesake had, aka "Marty McFly" from Back to the Future.  The Marty McFly, Alex P. Keaton preppy way was more in style.  Kids did got smashed a lot with beer, (that's a constant that I don't think that will ever change) but smoking weed was more of a loser thing to do.  It's interesting how it was that way in the 80s.

your right, smoking weed was the loser thing to do
because  the preppy people graduated to cocaine.
in the 80's cocaine use was rampant because it was cheap.
don't criticize 70's culture and don't group all of us together
and stamp the loser label on without looking at what it led to.
i am suprised you think 70's partying led to 80's sainthood.
or did most teens in the 80's just live in a cave.

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 11:05 am

Began My Senior Year,Sept.1976.
I thoroughly related to Dazed and Confused.The music , the hanging out, the cliques....everything.
Anyone who ever wanted to know what High School in the 70's was like...I tell them to watch that Film.
Even the Teaching faculty was an accurate {to Me} portrayal of Teachers I knew then. There were 2 History Teachers that dressed as the Historical Figures they were teaching about...One even wore a Klan Outfit {Yeah....even then in the pre-Political Correctness days..that was crossing a line....}Try doing that today.... :o
{Fact: One of those History Teachers was arrested for Kidnapping a Student {not from the School He taught in} and....ahh.........cannibalism.}
I watch the Film every June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eTV4lRJYU

Check for new replies or respond here...