inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Helen Reddy's "Ready or Not"

Written By: Aaron Shore on 10/08/05 at 1:34 am

Does anyone remember a song which came out back in July, 1978 called Ready or Not, by Helen Reddy? Apparently it was her second-attempt at disco-contemporary, and despite it charting lower than her previous dance-enduced Make Love to Me, it actually recieved a so-called cult following; becoming an underground smash, and popular in Studio54, with Reddy even going as far as to promote the song on a guest appearance of The Midnight Special hosted by Joe Brooks. She also was given an ovation for the song at her sold-out Live in London concert.

That same year, Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams covered the song on their album That's What Friends Are For, and completely butchered it.

What fumms me is how they can put such songs like Make Love to Me, and her other major flop, The Happy Girls, on her Greatest Hits compilation, when the public basically laughed at those as an epic joke, yet responded well to this song. Just curious if anyone out there remembers Reddy singing this song or, for that matter, it being popular....

Also... for a class of retrospect, here are the chart positions for Ready or Not:

Cashbox: #91 (7/22/1978; 2wks)
Pop: #73 (8/5/1978; 2wks)
Club Play: #1 (1978)

Check for new replies or respond here...