inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 11:44 am

Anyone remember this movie. It gets trashed in so many online "bad film" reviews, but i think it's a fun little flick & i love the style of all the 70s TV shows & films especially the supposed bad ones from that era. The movie reminded me of a cross between a Scooby Doo episode & a Wonder Woman episode. Growing up as a child in the late 70s & beginning of the 80s Kiss was probably the first hard rock band i ever liked & which had a lasting influence on the music i still listen to today.Not bad considering most people i know at 4 & 5 years of age either had really daggy taste in music, no taste in music & were into nursery ryhmes still or can't remember their taste in music. I definitly won't ever forget seeng Kiss Meets The Phantom on TV as a child & it's quite possibly one of my earliest memories of TV. I remember if anything to do with Kiss came on TV my grandma would say they were the devil LOL, but i would get all excited. Ahhhh it was a great time to be a child & growing up. I think entertainment has become way to serious & relying way too much on supposed realism & lacking 2 basic ingredients entertaintment to begin with & fun.

Subject: Re: Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park

Written By: whiteport on 10/16/05 at 4:07 pm

I remember it, I was 14 at the time and had been a huge Kiss fan for a while along with a million other kids at that time, but after watching that made for tv movie on that halloween night back in 1978 the whole image of Kiss was changed for me... A truely  CHEESY flick IMO. But as I look back now it does bring back alot of old nostalgic memories :)

http://www.kensforce.com/sitebuilder/images/22-235x174.jpg

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 7:54 pm

Oh yeah definitly a cheesy flick, but at the same time very entertaining & fun. It definitly changed Kiss's image from straight out rock n roll band to almost cartoon like comic book style characters, but at the age of 4 i don't think i was worried about that. I think it probably made me like them even more. You're right though they probably lost a lot of integrity with a lot of people for doing it. It's not the first thing they did along those lines though. I mean you had the toyline back then & remember the comercials for them LOL. The there was the Marvel comic book, which they allput their actual blood ito the red ink used in printing all those comics. Actually i think the blood think is pretty darn cool.  I've seen an interview with Paul Stanley where he says it got scary for him when he looked out a hotel window & suddenly he realised the audince was all very young kids & families & he thought something is really wrong herewe aren't family entertainment we're a rock n roll band. A regained this recent interest in Kiss after seeing the movie Detroit Rock City which i hadn't seen snce it first came out. After that i suddenly just had this interest in Kiss all over again, not that i ever stopped agknowledging them as an influence. Hell i even went & bought the vintage 70s design Kiss t-shirt on eBay that you used to be able to buy in the 70s. It simply has nothing but the logo all done in sparkly little silver sequens like the lights on stage or the logo on the back of the first album. Very hard to find one of these shirts in a smaller slimmer 70s style male fit these days unless you're a guy willing to were babydoll female fitted shirts because they only make them in babydoll now. It's really annoying how they usually only make the music tees in XL or L & if your lucky the smallest you might find is M. Ofcourse back then a L was quite small in comparisn & maybe about the size of a M or S from these days. I still like my tees in a 70s fit & one thing i can't stand is baggy & long t-shirts. Anyhow i've gone off on a tangent now, i'll stopp before this gets too long.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/16/05 at 7:58 pm

Definately remember this flick, yes it was cheesy, but I'm a big fan of cheese.  I remember how excited I was to show my boyfriend and friend one of my favorite movies back when I was a junior in high school (1986) and they made fun of me and it.  :-[  ::)

One of my fave parts was when Peter sang Beth.  Still love that song.  :-*

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/05 at 7:59 pm

Incredibly cheesy, but it is a great flick. :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 8:23 pm

Incredibly hard to get this movie, i had to download it off the internet in 2 seperate portions just to see it (you know 1 or 2 & 2 of 2) The quality was not bad considering how small the files were. Anyhow my girlfriend is a lot younger than i am so she didn't remember the movie at all, so i took it to her house & made her watch it & she absolutly loved it. She's a huge Kiss fan, so i wasn't really too surprised about that. I remember just after i downloaded the movie though, i got really excited just from seeing the cool opening credits again after all these years. Definitly a great find if you can find the VHS because there is no DVD release for it & more than likely there never will be.

Written By: whiteport on 10/17/05 at 10:03 am

Incredibly hard to get this movie, i had to download it off the internet in 2 seperate portions just to see it (you know 1 or 2 & 2 of 2) The quality was not bad considering how small the files were. Anyhow my girlfriend is a lot younger than i am so she didn't remember the movie at all, so i took it to her house & made her watch it & she absolutly loved it. She's a huge Kiss fan, so i wasn't really too surprised about that. I remember just after i downloaded the movie though, i got really excited just from seeing the cool opening credits again after all these years. Definitly a great find if you can find the VHS because there is no DVD release for it & more than likely there never will be.

I've heard that they are going to release it on DVD next year some time I think,.  I can't remember where I read this maybe at  www.kissonline.com "The site that clicks ass"  :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/17/05 at 11:01 am

I've heard that they are going to release it on DVD next year some time I think,.  I can't remember where I read this maybe at  www.kissonline.com "The site that clicks ass"  :)

Thanks. I look foward to seeing a DVD release. Can't wait. They also need to release Alive &/or Alive II on DVD. There's not enough vintage live footage out there. I've got 3 different DVDs of their's with bits & pieces of vintage live performaces but i want the full performances of the songs not just snipettes.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/17/05 at 11:23 am

I can't seem to find anything about the KISS Meets The Phantom DVD release on the site. Where abouts is it?

Written By: whiteport on 10/17/05 at 2:02 pm

I can't seem to find anything about the KISS Meets The Phantom DVD release on the site. Where abouts is it?

Try Here  http://www.kissmuseum.com/

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/18/05 at 5:48 pm

The there was the Marvel comic book, which they allput their actual blood ito the red ink used in printing all those comics.

Actually, it was only in the 1st issue. You can read about it at http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/kisblood.htm

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/19/05 at 12:02 pm

Try Here  http://www.kissmuseum.com/

Thanks. Wow, now i'm excited i'm buying it as soon as possible. :D :)

Written By: Tia on 10/20/05 at 11:39 am

kiss meets phantom of the park is totally on my netflix queue. i forget when it's coming out, it might have already.

What i really wanna see is that goofy star wars t.v. special from 1978. i saw that once when it came out and i don't know if you can find it anywhere these days, maybe ebay?

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 8:45 am

dang. it's out now but netflix is telling me there's gonna be a "very long wait" on it. i bet they had no idea the kinda demand they'd be facing and only got one or two copies.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 12:32 pm

I have Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park...on DVD...Of course it is a bootleg version, but it was cool to me. I love it!

I love that they had these super powers in them...Gene Simmons could breath fire...he was so creepy to me.

I think Paul Stanley was called "Star Child".  It was very "superheroish", and it takes place in an amusement park.  Someone kidnaps this girls boyfriend...I forget what they are doing to him...maybe making him a clone??? And his girlfriend is trying to find him, and gets KISS to help.  Kiss always seemed kind of scary to me in the 70's...but when I saw this movie...I was in the 6th grade, and it played on regular TV, and I thought...this is so cool!

I am a huge Kiss fan...infact I was listening to their CD the other night...One of my favorite songs of theirs...which is lesser known is:  Back in a New York Groove.

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 1:35 pm

i think everyone in their right mind was terrified of gene simmons. i still am, by god.

i wasn't huge into kiss, necessarily, but i love me some detroit rock city. that's a fabulous song. and i just have to see this movie. but it's "very long wait" on my queue so i'll have to wait until after i see "land of the lost."

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 7:37 am

I have Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park...on DVD...Of course it is a bootleg version, but it was cool to me. I love it!

I love that they had these super powers in them...Gene Simmons could breath fire...he was so creepy to me.

I think Paul Stanley was called "Star Child".  It was very "superheroish", and it takes place in an amusement park.  Someone kidnaps this girls boyfriend...I forget what they are doing to him...maybe making him a clone??? And his girlfriend is trying to find him, and gets KISS to help.  Kiss always seemed kind of scary to me in the 70's...but when I saw this movie...I was in the 6th grade, and it played on regular TV, and I thought...this is so cool!

I am a huge Kiss fan...infact I was listening to their CD the other night...One of my favorite songs of theirs...which is lesser known is:  Back in a New York Groove.

Oh cool, i like that song. New York Groove was an Ace Frehley song that was released on his solo album when they all did a solo album at the same time. I always loved the Ace songs on the actual KISS albums aswell because Ace Frehley is my favorite member of KISS. I especially love the story of when he came to audition for KISS & he just walked straight past Paul & Gene & everyone else, plugged in to the amp & just started playing. They were all thinking what the hell, who the f**k does this guy think he is. When they told him off & told him to shut the f**k up & wait his turn. He just said "hey sorry Curly". LOL Gene thought the guy was spaced out of his mind, LOL what a character. 

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 11:34 am

you know, i was at cd cellar the other day and looking over some kiss albums on a lark and there are some other tunes of theirs that i'd forgotten about that are pretty cool. strutter, i'd forgotten about that one, and "calling dr. love"!

that ace frehley story is indeed a keeper. total rock star 'tude, that.

so, kiss: did they jump the shark when they "unmasked"? discuss.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 3:20 pm

Wasn't it Ace's voice they had to dub over in "Phantom" because he was such a bad actor?  It was one of them, anyway.

As for jumping the shark, the Kiss shark was already jumped when they got popular.  Sorry, Kiss fans, but what all that make-up really masked was totally mediocre songwriting and musicianship.
And Gene Simmons, what an insufferable narcissist!  Arrogant doesn't even begin to describe this man's hubris.  Anybody who hung out with him had to have rock-bottom low self-esteem. Fortunately for Gene, lots of girls have that!
::)

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 9:34 pm

Wasn't it Ace's voice they had to dub over in "Phantom" because he was such a bad actor?  It was one of them, anyway.

As for jumping the shark, the Kiss shark was already jumped when they got popular.  Sorry, Kiss fans, but what all that make-up really masked was totally mediocre songwriting and musicianship.
And Gene Simmons, what an insufferable narcissist!  Arrogant doesn't even begin to describe this man's hubris.  Anybody who hung out with him had to have rock-bottom low self-esteem. Fortunately for Gene, lots of girls have that!

Actually it was the drummer Peter Criss who's voice had to be dubbed over by someone else because when it came time to fix little bit's & pieces here & there & add stuff he'd never show up because of his substance abuse problem. Personally i agree with your Gene Simmons comment as much of a KISS fan as i am, he has got his head up his a** & almost everything i've heard him say in interviews is usually idiotic & uninteligent. As for the music, i think they made great music to begin with & they obviously had a good chemistry going. Their music wasn't mediocre at the best of times. I don't think they were going for technical in terms of musicianship, they were going for simple & catchy rock songs. Later on in their career they tried more technical when they brought in Vinnie Vincent on guitar & unfortunatly the music sucked. The band didn't have the same chemistry & excitment as when they first started out which is sometimes a lot more important than trying to go all technical. As for the make up thing, that just happened by accident. They really wanted to do really daggy costumes to begin with instead. They were already somewhat popular in certain circles in the underground club scene & they just sort of slowly started doing what some of the other glam bands like New York Dolls were doing at the time. The make up was very crude & not much like it was later on. They got somewhat popular in certain circles before the make up had even evolved in to what it was by 1975. The make up did help them get noticed by a more mainstream & wider audience later on & helped them to become a household name & superhero like characters later on in their career though. Especially with many cool gimmicks like putting their own blood in all the red ink that went into their Marvel comics, the dolls & the pinball macines etc. Gotta admit they are much cooler gimmicks than most other bands have tried especially in this day & age where you don't see anything even remotely as exciting & fun as that. All those things combined helped them become larger than life characters.  I mean look at the bands that get recognised nowadays & they can't play for sh!t, there's no guitar solos, plus they have nothing as closely exciting to offer.  Also how many bands do you know now that have the guitarist or the drummer actually sing a song. As far as i'm concerned they had a good formula for writing songs between their self titled album & Alive II & they did something right because everyone from mums & dads to even people just goin on to their teens now are still getting into them & believe it or not artists from Garth Brooks to Pearl Jam aknowledge them as their main influence & main reason for getting into music. I guess it's hard for a non KISS fan to understand especially if you didn't get it to begin with & weren't caught up in the whole KISSmania to begin with. I think the main problem is because outsiders tend to only know them for their hit singles which i admit some are quite mediocre compared to some more obsure tracks. I swear if i hear Rock N Roll All Nite on the radio or at a retro night club one more time i'm going to kill someone LOL.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 9:57 pm

I don't know, no offence to that guy but he seems a little tightly wound. Every post i've read of his he seems to trying to be too intelectual & serious. Smart people aren't always trying to proove how smart they are 24/7, they're smart when it really counts. It's OK to be an intelectual person & like silly things that don't reflect one's IQ, those things don't define a person. You can still have fun & be an intelectual person, doesn't mean you have to be all pompas & boring. If you don't like something you don't have to participate in the discussion. I've never understood why people actually take the time to go on forums or discussions about things they hate, but i see it all the time.  ???

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/30/05 at 10:25 pm

you know, i was at cd cellar the other day and looking over some kiss albums on a lark and there are some other tunes of theirs that i'd forgotten about that are pretty cool. strutter, i'd forgotten about that one, and "calling dr. love"!

that ace frehley story is indeed a keeper. total rock star 'tude, that.

so, kiss: did they jump the shark when they "unmasked"? discuss.

Yep, i'm gonna put this plain & simple. Unmasked sucked & so did Music From The Elder. It's because KISS are a band that got popular doing what they did before that album & then decided they wanted to try & be diverse & experimental when clearly they were a fun Rock N Roll band that should have stuck to what they did best. Changing their formula & whole sound was not a good move for them & all the previous success in the world won't change the fact that those 2 albums sucked or change fans & people's opinions on the matter. The fact that the chemistry between the band at the time of those albums was not good also would have contributed largely. The only album i liked post original line up was Creatures Of The Night, but it still wasn't quite the old KISS anymore, which goes to show even with the makeup on, the band is nothing without that chemistry, those songs & that distintive sound. They had a good thing & lost it. Hell i could go on stage with that style of makeup, but if i suck it's guarenteed i'll get booed off the stage. Hell that Psycho Circus reunion album had all for members in full make up again & the music still sucked & i hated that album. Which means i couldn't care less about the make up, i just like there old music. The makeup was just icing on the cake & obviously if i hadn't of liked their music in the first place the make up & theatrics wouldn't have changed that.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/31/05 at 4:56 am

All I have to say is if ALL musicians were serious instead of FUN like KISS..the music scene would be flat-out BORING!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/31/05 at 5:02 am

The KISS albums that really kicked A$$ are:
Destroyer(Shout It Out Loud is way better than Rock and Roll All Night!)
Kiss Alive (the first live album)
Rock and Roll Over
and
LOVE GUN!!

To those who don't like KISS,oh well....I am not one bit ashamed to STILL listen to 'em!

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 8:03 am

dag, agent 86, taking on the KISS fans. brave man! yeah, not particularly technically proficient but they were pretty fun, it wouldn't have been the 70s without the Knights in Satan's Service. and besides, without KISS we never would have had GWAR.  :)

i'm trying out for a band wednesday and i totally busted out the ace frehley story. i was all, forget those other guys who are trying out, man, don't you know how ace frehley joined KISS? pretty great.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 6:46 am

dag, agent 86, taking on the KISS fans. brave man! yeah, not particularly technically proficient but they were pretty fun, it wouldn't have been the 70s without the Knights in Satan's Service. and besides, without KISS we never would have had GWAR.  :)

i'm trying out for a band wednesday and i totally busted out the ace frehley story. i was all, forget those other guys who are trying out, man, don't you know how ace frehley joined KISS? pretty great.

That's pretty cool :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 7:19 am

I'd have to say my favourite album is the first self titled album because it was the most distinctively 70s sounding album of theirs with songs like Let Me Know with that kick a** riff right at the end, & the song 100,000 Years. Also because it was the album that had the most songs that i liked on one album. Other albums had great standout songs here & there but not as many as the first album. The first was the most consistant. Also because Firehouse, Deuce & Black Diamond are quite possibly my favourite KISS songs ever. Second & third favourite albums are a toss up between Love Gun & Rock And Roll Over. Can't decide in which order though. Being such a huge Ace fan though the song Shock Me might just tip the scale in Love Gun's favour. Shock Me had one of the most kick a** solos i've ever heard in a KISS song & Ace on vocals, what more could i want. Didn't really like Destroyer or Hotter Than Hell as much as the other albums. I mean Destroyer was not bad, but i really didn't like the songs Great Expectations, Beth or Do You Love Me?. The other songs were pretty awesome though. As for Hotter Than Hell i think the main reason that album never grew on me as much as the others is because the production sounds a bit off & slightly murky. The first Alive album kicks serious a** but i won't count that because it's not a studio album & because technically it's almost like a best of compilation.

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 7:51 am

OK i love period piece movies about the 70s & most of them are done pretty well too. Dazed & Confused was great, but Detroit Rock City is the most fun, exciting & likeable one i've seen so far. I remember seeing it when it first came out & i immediatly LOVED it from the opening credits with the colage & flashes of KISS 70s archive footage, Cheech & Chong, Charlies Angels etc. If you're a KISS fan or even just like 70s period piece style movies & you haven't seen it yet, do your self a huge favour & see Detroit Rock City. A very fun movie & i'm sure you won't be disappointed if you haven't seen it yet.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 8:12 am

which album had "detroit rock city," the song, on it? was that destroyer? that's definitely my favorite kiss song by a mile. so epic! it's funny because i think those were the two i had, destroyer and hotter than hell, the two you didn't like that much. isnt it ironic?

i didn't see DRC the movie. dazed and confused was great, though. richard linklater is awesome, the director. there were a spate of 70s period pieces throughout the 90s, of course (we're talking about the whole 20-year nostalgia cycle on another site); boogie nights was the big one but a little-known one that i think was underrated is "jesus' son," set in the early 70s... (dont think there was any KISS in it though...)

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/01/05 at 9:39 am

which album had "detroit rock city," the song, on it? was that destroyer? that's definitely my favorite kiss song by a mile. so epic! it's funny because i think those were the two i had, destroyer and hotter than hell, the two you didn't like that much. isnt it ironic?

i didn't see DRC the movie. dazed and confused was great, though. richard linklater is awesome, the director. there were a spate of 70s period pieces throughout the 90s, of course (we're talking about the whole 20-year nostalgia cycle on another site); boogie nights was the big one but a little-known one that i think was underrated is "jesus' son," set in the early 70s... (dont think there was any KISS in it though...)

Yes Detroit Rock City was the first song on Destroyer, but the album version was slightly different to the version most people know. It had a long intro & car engine sound effect in certain bits throughout the song, because as you probably know the song is about someone getting into their car to go have a night of fun & then getting into a car crash.
Oh don't get me wrong Destroyer is OK. It had some really great songs, but it also had three really bad songs i hated which always makes me skip Destroyer & grab for another KISS album when i'm in the mood to listen to KISS. It's funny because Paul Stanley & Gene Simmons have also said that Destroyer is their favourite album. I just prefer some the others only because when i listen to an album i like to let the whole thing play from start to end & i just can't do it with Destroyer. I always find my self hitting the skip button on the CD player at certain songs or just stopping the CD before it ends. I play the CDs nowadays because i'd rather preserve my KISS vinyl. Unfortunatly records can wear out & they sound bad when they do. I'm surprised i never wore out any of the KISS vinyl my folks bought me when i was little.

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 11:12 am

there's a version without the car noises?! INVALID! you need the car noises, they totally make that song.

Check for new replies or respond here...