inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time Life CDs: The Ultimate 70s Collection

Written By: Harmony on 10/17/05 at 3:39 pm

This looks like an awesome CD collection, and I was going to buy it off the infomercial yesterday, but I forgot to take down the number.  They were offering it with free shipping and handling.  I can order online, but I have to pay S&H.  By any chance, does anybody have the call-in number for the free shipping offer?  It's a great collection, so I'll just have to pay the extra if nobody has the number.  Or I can just glue myself front of my TV for the next month waiting for the informercial to come on again!
;D

Subject: Re: Time Life CDs: The Ultimate 70s Collection

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/05 at 3:41 pm

Just go to Time-Life.com and order it. :0)

Written By: Harmony on 10/17/05 at 3:43 pm

Just go to Time-Life.com and order it. :0)

The whole point of my message was the free S&H.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/05 at 3:52 pm

The whole point of my message was the free S&H.

Sorry, my lousy eyes didn't catch that important detail..  :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/05 at 6:07 pm

You should check your local used CD shops.  Over the years, I've seen several of those Ultimate 70's CD's in and out of pawn shops

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/05 at 6:22 pm

or, to 2nd Whistledog's thought, you could even check Ebay to see if there are any secondhand copies. Some major record stores also sell used CD's for good prices.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/18/05 at 6:37 pm

You should check your local used CD shops.  Over the years, I've seen several of those Ultimate 70's CD's in and out of pawn shops

Totally agree about used CD stores - I've done this habitually since 1998. Nothing I love more than spotting some of those "specialty" collections (i.e. K-tel, Sessions, TimeLife) that were Not Sold In Stores, lol.

BTW, theoretically, the "Ultimate 70's" is the same thing as "Sounds of the 70's" as in the same tracklistings. I have the 1974, 1978 and 1979 editions.

Written By: zcrito on 10/19/05 at 12:34 am

I like that infomercial with Barry Williams. I've heard some of those songs hundreds of times and have never seen what the people who sing them actually look like -- until now. Pretty funny!

As for the CDs and no S&H, have you checked their Web page, is the call in number there somewhere ?

Written By: Carl on 10/19/05 at 9:24 am

This is a great collection, I DO intend on getting this. I think I would wait awhile or look now to see if it's on sites like Amazon, Half.com,or Ebay being sold as used.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/05 at 9:37 am

Totally agree about used CD stores - I've done this habitually since 1998. Nothing I love more than spotting some of those "specialty" collections (i.e. K-tel, Sessions, TimeLife) that were Not Sold In Stores, lol.

BTW, theoretically, the "Ultimate 70's" is the same thing as "Sounds of the 70's" as in the same tracklistings. I have the 1974, 1978 and 1979 editions.

Through Pawn Shops over the years, I've found 15 volumes of those "Time Life: Sounds of the Eighties" collections.  I've learned that before you buy a brand new CD, check your local pawn shop first :)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/20/05 at 2:13 pm

Through Pawn Shops over the years, I've found 15 volumes of those "Time Life: Sounds of the Eighties" collections.  I've learned that before you buy a brand new CD, check your local pawn shop first :)

I don't think I've seen a pawn shop in 20 years.  I thought the only place they still existed was on Baretta re-runs...

I like that infomercial with Barry Williams.

I've seen that infomercial -- he looks exactly as goofy as he did as Greg Brady.

Of course, the advantage of ordering it from the source, is that it's guaranteed. So if it turns out that the re-mastering sucks, or if the collection ends up containing a lot of crappy filler songs that the infomercial conveniently glossed over, you do have some recourse. 

Jimmy T-Bone, on the other hand, would laugh at you out of his pawn shop when you return a week later asking for a refund.

Written By: Butterball on 10/30/05 at 7:23 pm

I'd rather have a compilation of these songs on a dvd that shows the groups performing their songs. We've all heard the songs, but rarely have we actually seen the groups that sing them.

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 7:55 pm

I don't think I've seen a pawn shop in 20 years.  I thought the only place they still existed was on Baretta re-runs...

Oh, Pawn Shops are all over, and they are the greatest places.  You can sometimes get recent released DVD's and CD's for a fraction of the cost in an actual store.  A few months ago, I picked up the movie Legend 2 disc special edition DVD for only $14.99 at my local used CD store. It was still in it's factory seal wrapping  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...