inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sweeney Todd (Glam Rock Band)

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/05 at 11:31 pm

Anyone remember Sweeney Todd?

Click one to hear it:
Roxy Roller - The Nick Gilder Version
Roxy Roller - The Bryan Adams Version

They were a 70's Glam Rock Band from Canada fronted by Nick Gilder. Their 1975 song "Roxy Roller" hit #1 in Canada, and in August of 1976, it reached #90 in the U.S.

After the release of their self-titled debut album, Gilder was offered a solo contract and left the band. He was replaced by a singer named Clark Perry who didn't work out and was replaced by a 16-year old unknown named Bryan Adams. Producers were so impressed by Adams vocal range, that a re-recorded version of Roxy Roller was re-released and it hit #99 on the U.S. charts in September of 1976

Now with Bryan Adams on vocals, the follow-up album "If Wishes Were Horses" was released in 1977. The album bombed, and Adams quit the group. Sweeney Todd eventually called it quits in 1978

Subject: Re: Sweeney Todd (Glam Rock Band)

Written By: gord on 10/18/05 at 5:22 am

I remember Sweeney Todd and their song Roxy Roller, I still hear it alot on the radio. I didn't know about the link to Bryan Adams though, cool info :)

Check for new replies or respond here...