inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone here remember NBC's "The Midnight Special"?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 10:39 pm

I used to love NBC's "The Midnight Special"..they had some really cool bands and singers on the show..

ELO
Peaches and Herb
The Village People
Johnny Winter....to name just a few...

I saw the show with ELO...one of the songs they performed was "Strange Magic"

Subject: Re: Anyone here remember NBC's "The Midnight Special"?

Written By: zcrito on 10/22/05 at 2:51 am

Didn't it come on on Saturday nights?

Wolfman Jack?

And didn't they feature just one artist sometimes?

A little pre-MTV music.
I think it was a show that wasn't appreciated at the time ("canned" clapping and cheering ?), but would be interesting to see nowadays, just to see what some artists looked like.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/22/05 at 3:50 am

I remember it being a big thing amongst me and my friends to stay up and watch The Midnight Special....Usually I could convince the adults to let me stay up 'just this once' to watch it...Yes it was on Saturday nights,but I think it did pre-empt Saturday Night Live a few times...I remember it was done before a live audience.

Written By: whiteport on 10/22/05 at 6:49 am

I remember watching it regularly, but I really thought it was on Friday nights (could be wrong though) anyhow there was a lot of good bands on there from time to time I seem to remember Ted Nugent hosting one night with AC/DC, AEROSMITH..&  others I just can't remember who at the time, good show though. I also remember watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert around the same time can't recall what network that was on. Anyone remember that one?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/22/05 at 9:41 am

I remember watching it regularly, but I really thought it was on Friday nights (could be wrong though) anyhow there was a lot of good bands on there from time to time I seem to remember Ted Nugent hosting one night with AC/DC, AEROSMITH..&  others I just can't remember who at the time, good show though. I also remember watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert around the same time can't recall what network that was on. Anyone remember that one?
I think there's a website all about "The Midnight Special"..I think it has the day and time it was broadcast..
Some radio stations simulcasted the show's audio in stereo..you'd turn down the TV and listen to the audio on your stereo system...cool.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/22/05 at 7:04 pm

I also remember watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert around the same time can't recall what network that was on. Anyone remember that one?

It was syndicated.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 11:42 pm

Was it better than Tony Orlando and Dawn?

Written By: Carl on 10/24/05 at 3:21 pm

Wasn't Mac Davis the host for this show?

Written By: zcrito on 10/24/05 at 8:10 pm

When one is in high school and before you could drive that was the type of stuff you watched on Saturday nights.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229907/

And unless you caught an artist on shows like that or American Bandstand you'd never know what some groups looked like -- sort of like The Hues Corporation with me.  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/26/05 at 1:49 pm

Wasn't Mac Davis the host for this show?
No it was Wolfman Jack.

Written By: Banks on 10/29/05 at 7:59 am

I have a copy of this show from February 1979. The special guests were The Jacksons. (Im an MJ fan). The presenter was Wolfman Jack.

CGOOTR

Written By: Butterball on 10/30/05 at 7:16 pm

I have a copy of this show from February 1979. The special guests were The Jacksons. (Im an MJ fan). The presenter was Wolfman Jack.

CGOOTR

I have this episode also. "Shake your body down", "Destiny", "The things I do for you", and "Blame it on the boogie" were some of the songs performed. I'd like to have the show that the Commodores hosted in the late 70"s.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/31/05 at 4:47 am

I remember the episode with the Village People, that was really cool that they were on the show!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/05/07 at 9:20 am

I just saw an infomercial last night advertising DVD releases of episodes of "The Midnight Special"....I thought that would be really cool to have! 8)

Written By: MidTennHitman on 01/05/07 at 1:50 pm

It was on Friday nights at midnight...............you would have had to not be alive in the 70s to not remember it........great show hosted by the Wolfman

Written By: whiteport on 01/05/07 at 7:39 pm

It was on Friday nights at midnight...............you would have had to not be alive in the 70s to not remember it........great show hosted by the Wolfman

Yeah I thought it was Friday nights..

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/07/07 at 11:45 am

There's an episode available on DVD with Andy Kaufman and Slim Whitman.

Written By: bloody hammer on 01/07/07 at 12:08 pm

i can remember having this one cool hippy-chick babysitter that would let us stay up late and watch "Midnight Special" with her.

years later i learned that she ended up "running off" with some biker gang.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/08/07 at 7:47 pm

I used to love this show!!

That is....whenever I was able to stay up to watch it :)  I would fall asleep lots of times before it came on. Wolfman was great> I loved his voice.

Does anyone have the DVDs of them? I know they were only advertised either online or on TV. You couldn't buy them in the stores :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/08/07 at 9:57 pm

I used to love this show!!

That is....whenever I was able to stay up to watch it :)   I would fall asleep lots of times before it came on. Wolfman was great> I loved his voice.

Does anyone have the DVDs of them? I know they were only advertised either online or on TV. You couldn't buy them in the stores :(

No, I don't have any...I would love to have them....but they are expensive. I saw an infomercial of them the other day...and they are like $20 per DVD. ::)

Written By: bubbarx on 01/10/07 at 7:53 pm

I remember coming home many nights a little out of my skull  :D and being mesmorized. What a great time that was was...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/07 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, I saw that a little while back too. Although I was too young (born in 1976) to remember that show, I do remember a time when all the TV channels when off the air at night and there was literally nothing on. Having a special show like that on while TV is normally off the air seems kinda neat, almost as if it was your own little secret.

Yes, I was born around the time you were....and I also was too young to have been able to see this firsthand....however, my love of everything nostalgic, would be able to greatly appreciate seeing these DVDs of the show. ;)

Written By: Banks on 01/11/07 at 12:59 am

I have an episode of this show on VHS which featured The Jacksons mainly miming to their music. They also played the Jacksons music video Blame It On The Boogie, so Im guessing it was around late 1978 or early 1979.

hjl

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/16/07 at 1:46 pm

It seemed like a few years ago VH-1 ran a marathon of Midnight Special.  I wish they would do it again.  There are some CLASSIC performances on that show.  I liked how they featured performers from all branches of popular music. 

I think VH-1 or VH-1 Classic should revive this format.  It would be nice to have just a simple live concert series on regular basis once again.

Written By: Banks on 01/17/07 at 3:42 am

'I think VH-1 or VH-1 Classic should revive this format.  It would be nice to have just a simple live concert series on regular basis once again.'

Here in Australia we have a show called 'Live At The Basement' which features Aussie bands as well as touring bands who do an hour long live show...Its really interesting and damned good at times.

AN

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/22/07 at 10:54 pm

I just saw an infomercial last night advertising DVD releases of episodes of "The Midnight Special"....I thought that would be really cool to have! 8)

I saw that infomercial last night again...and I almost called and ordered it.....man, would I SO love to have those.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 03/23/07 at 9:46 pm

I remember Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and I believe it came on Fridays!! Just remember his strong accent and groups like Genesis, Yes, Styx, ELP,,,,Great Show!!

Written By: Perryfan on 04/07/07 at 8:08 pm

I loved Midnight Special!

Classic Journey on the show  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7mEff3_Nk

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/12/07 at 8:41 pm

I was just thinking of this show the other day and how they should release it in a DVD that you can buy in stores, not by an infomercial. I used to think Wolfman had an awesome voice. Isn't it funny, when you were a kid it was so hard to stay awake to that hour to see and today, it's no problem to stay awake to that hour. But I remember, Midnight Special was coming on at 1:00 instead of 12. Weird, huh?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/07 at 8:50 pm

I was just thinking of this show the other day and how they should release it in a DVD that you can buy in stores, not by an infomercial. I used to think Wolfman had an awesome voice. Isn't it funny, when you were a kid it was so hard to stay awake to that hour to see and today, it's no problem to stay awake to that hour. But I remember, Midnight Special was coming on at 1:00 instead of 12. Weird, huh?

I agree...they should release it on DVD in stores...I hate that the only way you can buy them is to order them via the infomercial. :-\\

Written By: Butterball on 04/17/07 at 9:10 pm

I agree...they should release it on DVD in stores...I hate that the only way you can buy them is to order them via the infomercial. :-\\

Go to Ioffer.com. You can get them there pretty cheap. I believe they are copies tho'.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/07 at 10:36 pm

Go to Ioffer.com. You can get them there pretty cheap. I believe they are copies tho'.

cool! thanks...I'll have to check it out. :)

Written By: Lindee on 01/03/08 at 10:38 am

I only thing I didn't like about it was some of the musical guests were video taped from previous perfomances and they weren't really on the show.

Don Kirschner's Rock Concert was all taped perfomances. When he introduced them, he wasn't even on a stage.

How many shows said that Elton John & Kiki Dee would be on and then they showed that stupid studio video of them instead  >:(

Written By: dwpfaff on 01/03/08 at 10:57 am

Howdy

The "Special" was pretty good for the times. I happened to get to see the final show being taped with Ted Nugent as the host. Wolfman Jack had just finished the Jerry Lewis telethon that afternoon and was a bit rough looking. Ted and Olivia Newton-John were the only live acts during the taping as all the rest were on tape and added later. There was only about 60 or 70 people in the studio for the taping so the director would clump us all together for each camera angle. We must have heard Wango Tango 30 times before they were happy with it. My girlfriend and I got friendly with one of the cameramen and he showed us where they hid their beer so by the time the taping was over we were pretty lit. They took 3 hours to tape that show.

Danny

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/08 at 11:55 am

You can get the DVDs in stores now :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/08 at 11:59 pm

You can get the DVDs in stores now :)

are they expensive?

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/08 at 12:45 am

are they expensive?

If I remember, they were like $9.99 each or something like that

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/04/08 at 12:47 am

Oh my damn, TonyStewartIsTheMAN! I forgot all about her..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 12:50 am

If I remember, they were like $9.99 each or something like that

oh wow...that's really cheap! Aren't they like $19.99 each when you order them via the infomercial?  What I don't like either is when you sign up for it...they continuously send them to you...that sucks.

Check for new replies or respond here...