inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Best 70s Disaster Movie!

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 2:14 pm

i'm gonna have to go with the one where they have to talk the flight attendant into landing the jumbo jet, but i'm not trying to skew the results.

Subject: Re: The Best 70s Disaster Movie!

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/05 at 2:19 pm

I'm going to go with The Towering Inferno.  It's the only one from the list which I have seen

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 2:35 pm

I'm going to go with The Towering Inferno.  It's the only one from the list which I have seen

rollercoaster's pretty fun. featuring a young, confused steve gutenberg and a really hilarious scene where the rollercoaster car flies off the track, flips upside down, and smashes into the ground, crushing all these obvious dummies inside that are supposed to be actual passengers. ow!

Written By: whiteport on 10/22/05 at 6:27 pm

Poseidon Adventure    "There's Got To Be A Morning After" ;D

Written By: gord on 10/22/05 at 9:00 pm

I've seen most of these, the first few airport ones were good :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 11:29 pm

The Poseidon Adventure

I couldn't choose a second from the list provided (gobble gobble!), so I'm going with two others over which I cannot make up my mind:

The Andromeda Strain (Crichton's a jerk, but I really found this movie gripping, even more so than the "Jurassic Park" stuff.)

or

The China Syndrome

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/23/05 at 12:19 am

Poseidon Adventure     "There's Got To Be A Morning After" ;D

Definitely one of my choices! I also selected Earthquake. All I have to say is Victoria Principal, afro, and t-shirt. Yes, I am a girl and yes, it's still a sight.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/23/05 at 1:51 am

I picked Towering Inferno and Earthquake because it doesnt matter how many times a year they get repeated - I still get sucked into watching both.

Also loved all the "Airports".  I have never heard of Rollercoaster or Avalanche so I must look out for them.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/23/05 at 2:08 am

8) I have to say Posieden..SP??...and The towering Inferno..and well...Earthquake freaked me out too..                                             

Written By: Tia on 10/23/05 at 8:54 am

damn! i forgot about the china syndrome.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/05 at 2:08 pm

Airplane.  :D ;D

I remember when the Towering Inferno and Earthquake was dubbed "Shake n Bake". 

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/05 at 3:45 pm

Of those listed, I liked The Poseidon Adventure best!  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 10/23/05 at 6:18 pm

I picked Airport 75 and 77 only because I couldn't pick all the airport movies.  I may have to go find Rollercoaster just to see it.  I haven't seen it yet, but heard it was incredibly cheesy.

Written By: Tia on 10/23/05 at 8:34 pm

rollercoaster is quite hilarious. i watched it with some housemates a few years ago and we all had a pretty good time. but yeah, be ready for some hardcore cheese. watch for the scene with the dummies! i defy you not to wince and rub your neck.

i'm gonna have to see poseidon adventure again. it's been like a million years since i saw that one. i don't even remember anything about it. submarine, yes?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/05 at 12:15 pm

I remember seeing the Towering Inferno at the movies. At the end when the firefighter hands the guy the cat, my sister said fairly loud "What happens if the cat is a female and is pregnant?"  Many people around us started laughing.

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/24/05 at 6:51 pm

I chose The Poseidon Adventure.

Question: Does anyone remember a movie called Smashup On Interstate 5?  I never saw it but I remember seeing a commercial for it when I was about 5 or 6 years old (so that would be around 1975-76). I remember one scene in the commercial where 3 or 4 cars smashed into the front of a drive-in restaurant, and being a young, impressionable kid I got about 2 or 3 of my buddies to recreate this scene and we started ramming our Big Wheels into the side of my house, and my dad came out and started yelling at us.  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 10/24/05 at 8:18 pm

I could sit through and watch The Hindenburg (directed by Robert Wise) with no problem, but will pass on the rest.

Who could pass on a movie with Nazis in it ?? Not me.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/01/05 at 8:37 pm

i'm gonna have to go with the one where they have to talk the flight attendant into landing the jumbo jet, but i'm not trying to skew the results.
Airport 1975 is the movie you're talking about.

There's one character that's in all the Airport movies-Joe Patroni. Patroni is the aircraft mechanic whose first act of courageous daring-do is getting a stuck in the mud Boeing 707 cleared off runway three-zero in the first Airport movie.

I bet any amount of money a disaster movie will be made involving the Airbus A380 when it's in service with the airlines. Hollywood is probably drooling over it already!

Written By: Tia on 11/01/05 at 9:07 pm

airport '75 is on the top of my queue. i'm stoked to see it again.

i'ma keep an eye out for the mechanic guy. i seem to remember the first airport being kinda dull. it was all in the airport, some kinda hostage sitch, rather than actually being in the air where you get at the whole fear of flying thing, not to mention the great money shots with the luggage bins opening and luggage going everywhere, and the plane going upside down and the people screaming and falling against the roof, and the oxygen masks coming down! i live for that.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/02/05 at 3:59 pm

poseidon adventure

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 7:38 pm

airport '75 is on the top of my queue. i'm stoked to see it again.

i'ma keep an eye out for the mechanic guy. i seem to remember the first airport being kinda dull. it was all in the airport, some kinda hostage sitch, rather than actually being in the air where you get at the whole fear of flying thing, not to mention the great money shots with the luggage bins opening and luggage going everywhere, and the plane going upside down and the people screaming and falling against the roof, and the oxygen masks coming down! i live for that.
The first Airport was a man who had a bomb and tried to blow up the plane which was a Rome-bound Boeing 707.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 7:43 pm

There was a movie in the late '70s called Plague. It was a movie about a virus that was killing people in this town somewhere. The only thing that could stop it was some other organism two scientists eventually created..eventually the scientists themselves had to be quarantined in the lab because the 'good' organism had unknown effects on humans.

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/02/05 at 7:52 pm

is the original "gone in 60 seconds" considered a disaster movie or just a disaster? i loved it!!

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 12:37 pm

airport '77

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/05/05 at 5:35 pm

poseidon adventure

Written By: Tia on 11/05/05 at 6:43 pm

airport 77 is pretty rockin'. i just watched (well, sorta half-watched) airport 75 again yesterday. man, i love that movie.

i was thinking, i bet it'd be hard to do a disaster movie now because the seats on planes are so damn SMALL these days the actors wouldn't even have room to work. and if they made the seats larger, the way they look in the older movies, you'd just be thinking the whole time about how big the seats are and how totally unrealistic it is.

the disaster movie is a totally dead art, imo. the old ones are all about the 45 minutes of characterization in the beginning and the way they make disaster movies now, something has to blow up 10 minutes in or else they're afraid they've lost the audience's interest.

Subject: The Best 70s Disaster Movie!

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 11:50 am

Why was the poll limited to 2 options??

I picked AIRPORT and POSIDEON ADVENTURE (But I woukd have picked more)

Check for new replies or respond here...