inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: favorite soft drink

Written By: Carl on 10/24/05 at 3:00 pm

We all know the obvious ones, but there were many that were mostly big around the 70s. I liked RC.

I know Mello Yello is really Mountain Dew, but it was a different name in the 70s.

Subject: Re: favorite soft drink

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/24/05 at 6:02 pm

Mello Yello

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/24/05 at 8:32 pm

What about Fresca??

I liked Dr.Pepper and Mello Yellow....out of all those...how about Orange Crush and Grape Crush???

Written By: josh on 10/24/05 at 8:35 pm

anybody remember ramblin root beer? i don't even think it exists anymore  ???

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/24/05 at 9:26 pm

Out of the choices - RC Cola

Dr Pepper should be sent to another planet and left there  ;)

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/24/05 at 11:03 pm

Yeah...but Dr. Pepper had all the cool commercials with David Naughton singing...I'm a pepper, your a pepper.... Nothing wrong with that.  ::) ;) :)

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 9:19 am

What about Fresca??

OUCH! How can I forget that! Sorry!  :-[

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/25/05 at 9:34 am

Oh that's ok...I never liked it...I just remember it... ;) ::) :)

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 9:43 am

The've re-packaged it now, they have some newer flavors like Black Cherry, it doesn't taste that bad. Back when I was a kid, I didn't care for it much either.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/25/05 at 11:59 am

RC Cola 

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 12:13 pm

i said dr. pepper, but i really liked mr. pibb. with the old-school low-key 70s logo, not this "put it in your head" crap.

hey! don't forget "tab"! that was 70s in a nutshell!

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 12:39 pm

hey! don't forget "tab"! that was 70s in a nutshell!

Yeah true,

Can't understand how anyone can drink that stuff! It was and still is horrible tasting!

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 12:49 pm

oh yeah, it was dreadful. commercial was very striking though. yow.

Written By: Carl on 10/25/05 at 12:54 pm

Dreadful? It tasted like roach spray!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/25/05 at 1:46 pm

RC Cola  :D

Written By: 80s gail on 10/25/05 at 2:49 pm

When I was in usa for a holiday 11 years ago, i tried dr pepper, absolutely disgusting! awful! How do you guys drink that? It reminded me of the worst cough medicine available from the doctor! I loved coke, pepsi, american cream soda, and fanta orange.

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 3:03 pm

When I was in usa for a holiday 11 years ago, i tried dr pepper, absolutely disgusting! awful! How do you guys drink that? It reminded me of the worst cough medicine available from the doctor! I loved coke, pepsi, american cream soda, and fanta orange.

i had close relatives in dallas/fort worth, so i wasn't allowed to dislike dr. pepper. they're HEAVY into Dp out there.

Written By: gemini on 10/25/05 at 4:28 pm

If we're talking back then, I'd chose Dr. Pepper. I loved it back then.  I really loved Chocola. It was a chocolate drink, like Yoohoo.  We used to get it in the small bottles like coke used to have.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/03/05 at 12:39 pm

RC Cola

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/03/05 at 12:48 pm

other: Fanta and Pop Shoppe

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 1:19 pm

quirst?! someone made that up to see if we were paying attention. it's like when they said mr. rogers was in a naughty movie.

Written By: Carl on 11/03/05 at 1:23 pm

quirst?! someone made that up to see if we were paying attention. it's like when they said mr. rogers was in a naughty movie.

No, there was an actual drink called 'Quirst', but it was out and gone so fast if you blinked you would have missed it. I saw the commercial and event tried it, horrible stuff! Hence why it came and went.

Written By: saver on 11/04/05 at 3:44 pm

Nope haven't seen this one for a long time: CHOCOLA.. it was basically chocolate milk-like drink in a bottle  now I settle for Jeff's NY Chocolate soda when I can get it for $1.60+

VA has Chocolate Soldier which is like yoo hoo..can't get enough of it!!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/05/05 at 5:29 pm

RC Cola

Written By: Perryfan on 11/05/05 at 6:03 pm

I didn't get to drink any type of carbonated drink as a kid.  I think the first coke I ever drank was in high school.  So probably late 70's.  And it would've been real coke.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/05 at 8:40 pm

Does anyone remember Hanson's soda, I know this was bigger in the 80's but did it stem from the 70's? It's hardly found on the market anymore.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 1:26 am

Out of the choices - RC Cola

Dr Pepper should be sent to another planet and left there  ;)

I agree with you on RC Cola.  I found it a lighter and dryer taste than Coca Cola or Pepsi.  It's around up in the Northeast, but you gotta hunt for it.

I disagree with you on Dr. Pepper....but that's literally a question of taste.  I love Dr. Pepper when it's made a bit thicker in a soda fountain than the regular bottled stuff.  And no, despite the urban legend, they do not make Dr. Pepper with prune juice!  If they did, you'd know it!

Written By: Tia on 11/07/05 at 11:53 am

I agree with you on RC Cola.  I found it a lighter and dryer taste than Coca Cola or Pepsi.  It's around up in the Northeast, but you gotta hunt for it.

I disagree with you on Dr. Pepper....but that's literally a question of taste.  I love Dr. Pepper when it's made a bit thicker in a soda fountain than the regular bottled stuff.  And no, despite the urban legend, they do not make Dr. Pepper with prune juice!  If they did, you'd know it!

i always liked dr. peeper. my favorite was definitely mr. pibb, though -- i really loved the mr. pibb logo back in the day. think i mentioned that before.... i'm gonna try and find a retro mr. pibb logo on ebay to hang in my newly painted salle de bain.

nowadays mr. pibb is all "extreme." ugh.

my mom always stuffed me with coke and chicken noodle soup when i had a bug when i was a kid. to this day every time i drink coke it reminds me of being sick!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/08/05 at 9:38 am

Does anyone remember Hanson's soda, I know this was bigger in the 80's but did it stem from the 70's? It's hardly found on the market anymore.

They still make it. They have it in fruit flavors now.

Written By: Carl on 11/08/05 at 9:48 am

nowadays mr. pibb is all "extreme." ugh.

Yeah, we are in the 'Extreme' era now! Everything is that or 'Full Throttle' LOL!!

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 9:55 am

Yeah, we are in the 'Extreme' era now! Everything is that or 'Full Throttle' LOL!!

no wonder i'm so nostalgic for the mello 70s! think i'll throw on some extreme loggins and messina a little later, pop open a TAB.

Written By: Carl on 11/08/05 at 3:50 pm

Yep, a much more mellow time: music was mellow, commercials, etc.

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 4:16 pm

Yep, a much more mellow time: music was mellow, commercials, etc.

of course, heavy metal was invented in the 70s too, and all that. but man i'll tell ya, overproduced softrock is totally a lost art. as are cool understated soft drink logos.

compare the 1972 can

http://www.usasoda.com/images/ccpibb1.JPG

which is cool, with

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~jklamo/mrpibb_logo.JPG

which is LAME.

actually, this whole page looks pretty interesting:

www.usasoda.com/images/

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/08/05 at 5:50 pm

They still make it. They have it in fruit flavors now.

Yeah, it was around in the 80's when I was growing up at regular grocery stores. I was mainly wondering when it originated. I was able to find it at a Trader Joes in Root Beer flavor.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/08/05 at 8:03 pm

Wasn't Mr. Pibb alot like Dr. Pepper???

Does anyone have any clue where the names to some of these drinks came from??

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 10:19 pm

Wasn't Mr. Pibb alot like Dr. Pepper???

Does anyone have any clue where the names to some of these drinks came from??

i always thought of mr. pibb as a more syrupy alternative to DP. and coke and pepsi were more fizzy, less corn syrup. as for the oriigin i have no idea, although i bet it goes WAY back to the turn of the (20th) century and the whole connection with soft drinks with snake oil/folk remedies, which would explain the whole doctor thing. but i'm really taking a stab in the dark with that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/16/05 at 10:40 am

I actually remember a few of these (i.e. from still being in circulation in the 80's) and, of the "now disappeared" ones, I'll go with Mello Yellow - doesn't hurt that it was commonly featured in the Ernest commercials too. ;)

Dr. Pepper is great though. I'm normally not into soda as much as when I was a kid (by the time I was 12 -- circa 1994 -- I kinda got sick of it in favor of bottled/sparkling water and Snapple), but I always make an exception here. :)

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 11:07 am

mr. pibb is/was a lot like dp, though. only purists like me could really tell any difference.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/16/05 at 7:59 pm

My favorite drink of any kind is a Shirley Temple or Lemonade...that is what I get anytime I go out anywhere...or a non-alcoholic Pina Colada....those are way yummy too.  I love Smoothies! They are way better than pop.  When I was a kid, we use to ride our bikes down town, and there was a beverage distrubitor that had a pop machine out front, and you could get a big bottle of pop for .10, and they had pina colada pop, I have never seen it before or after then, and it was yummy!  I use to love grape soda too.  I loved Grape Tang as a kid, and they quit making it, and nobody ever seems to remember it ever existed but me.  There was also this beverage place down by the public pool, and you got a paper cup full of pop, and they had all kinds of different flavors...the place was called "The Canteen", and it was only .10 too, and it was fun to just walk up there to the machine while hanging at the pool and get a cup of pop.  I totally miss the glass long neck bottles of Pepsi...that is when Pepsi tasted good...it is horrible in a plastic bottle...the only way I even like Pepsi is in a can now....in plastic or out of a soda fountain it is awful.

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/16/05 at 10:16 pm

:) back then..NEHI...wasnt that the drink Radar always drank on M*A*S*H...?...loved the Peach

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/16/05 at 11:33 pm

I liked diet 7up, the uncola too back then.

Loved Fresca, and Dr. Pepper.  I didn't get into RC Cola until the late 80s for some reason.

Written By: belladonna on 11/20/05 at 6:29 am

My choice would have to be Other.....it was Coke, Green River and Glen Rock cream soda which was by a local bottler in my area.

Written By: TheRemf on 11/20/05 at 11:56 am

Of these, very close between RC Cola and the various Nehi sodas.  I'll go with Nehi, although I still liked RC better than either Coke or Pepsi.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 6:25 pm

Of the ones up there, Dr. Pepper.  I drink Diet Coke more frequently, though.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 7:05 pm

dr. pepper is the nectar of the gods.

Written By: spaceace on 12/03/06 at 7:29 pm

I would have to say Grape Nehi.  All though I do love Dr. Pepper.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/03/06 at 7:30 pm

I picked RC cola but some other nortable mentions were Double Cola which came in 8packs instead of the normal 6 pack of bottles. I gotta include Squirt, and Shasta had a similar flavor to Squirt that was called Cactus Cooler which was tasty. Nehi orange and grape flavors were excellent. Hires rootbeer was good but then most root beers are good.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 12/08/06 at 8:24 pm

We all know the obvious ones, but there were many that were mostly big around the 70s. I liked RC.

I know Mello Yello is really Mountain Dew, but it was a different name in the 70s.

#1 by far in my book BUBBLE UP!!!

#2 Cactus Cooler

Written By: bloody hammer on 12/09/06 at 9:36 pm

my favorite soda of all time is Cheerwine.

it can be tough to find outside of North Carolina but it's around in a few places.

it's how a cherry soda SHOULD taste...... not like that swill Coca-Cola calls "Cherry Coke".

Written By: bloody hammer on 12/09/06 at 9:37 pm

dr. pepper is the nectar of the gods.

have you ever tried what's known as "Dublin Dr Pepper"?

Written By: Abix on 12/10/06 at 5:33 pm

We had Shasta alot growing up.  It was sold in cases at the gas station.
My favorite soda from the 70's was only around a few years . It was  Rondo Citrus soda. It was the "thirst crusher" .
I wish they still had Rondo.

Check for new replies or respond here...