inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linda McCartney

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 9:55 pm

totally got a bad rap. I think she's unbelievably awesome.

Discuss.

Subject: Re: Linda McCartney

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 9:57 pm

I liked alot of the songs she did with Paul in the band Wings, especially the wonderful "Silly Love Songs" :)

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 10:01 pm

i'm listening to helen wheels (1973) even as we speak! band on the run is a totally kickass album. i bought it a week ago and i'd never heard it before.

yeah, silly love songs is cool. i love how in the early days she got onstage and did the whole rockstar thing and was totally still learning how to play keyboards. that had to take some major guts.

Written By: zcrito on 10/26/05 at 4:53 am

i love how in the early days she got onstage and did the whole rockstar thing and was totally still learning how to play keyboards. that had to take some major guts.

I thought that was why some people didn't like her -- she really shouldn't have been there (up there with the band that is).
???

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 8:10 am

I thought that was why some people didn't like her -- she really shouldn't have been there (up there with the band that is).
???

well, there was that, and there was that she was a divorcee single mom and sorta funny looking to be with the "cute" beatle, and all that, because they always figured mccartney would marry a grace kelly type... i guess it's sorta fair for people to get on her for playing when she wasn't as good as everyone around her but paul kinda talked her into doing it. i wouldn't have had the guts.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 10/26/05 at 12:36 pm

Linda McCartney's death is shocking...she was a huge member of PETA and an animal rights activist...which I love about her, because I love animals, and she was a strict Vegan. I was a pretty strict Vegetraian for 10 years, but now I eat some meat...not much though. I loved the band WINGS....my favorite song is:  Silly love songs.

I have alot of the Donny & Marie shows, and I have Sonny & Cher on DVD...and on the Sonny & Cher DVD---they sing with Donny & Marie and sing that song, and I loved it!!

Written By: Tia on 10/26/05 at 12:49 pm

i'm totally into wings these days. i got wingspan, the wings documentary -- when they do "let em in" live they made denny laine dress up like a revolutionary soldier with a little hat and a snare drum and he looks like a total geek. in front of 50,000 people. poor bastard. great band, though, in their day.

Written By: nally on 10/30/05 at 8:27 pm

Linda McCartney's death is shocking...she was a huge member of PETA and an animal rights activist...which I love about her, because I love animals, and she was a strict Vegan. I was a pretty strict Vegetraian for 10 years, but now I eat some meat...not much though. I loved the band WINGS....my favorite song is: Silly love songs.

Yeah, she died of cancer just 7 1/2 years ago, in April 1998. :\'( :( Very sad indeed. I love animals too, by the way.

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 7:27 am

yes, her death was really upsetting. she was so young!

Written By: Hairspray on 10/31/05 at 10:57 am

Paul felt very strongly that she be a part of the band. She felt she shouldn't even be singing, but he told her he loved her voice as it was.

How sugary sweet. That's love.

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 11:05 am

Paul felt very strongly that she be a part of the band. She felt she shouldn't even be singing, but he told her he loved her voice as it was.

How sugary sweet. That's love.

when she was, er, winging it (sorry!) her voice was pretty shaky but a lot of her backing stuff in the studios is really quite beautiful. that's her hitting those high oos and ahs in the long and winding road! i totally didn't know that. i figure they probably coached her a lot and did a lot of retakes. the ole' kubrick method.

as for her keys, she was pretty much at "chopsticks" skill level but those parts she does are sorta weirdly distinctive. what would band on the run be without her little trills on those three white keys. stuck inside these four walls, deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledee.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/05 at 6:36 am

I can't say I was a Linda fan, she was kinda off the radar.  I did feel bad for him when she died though,
theirs did seem to be a love story, makes you wonder what he was thinking when he hooked up with
the classless bit of stuff he later married.

Check for new replies or respond here...