inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Green Machine or Big Wheel?

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:46 am

okay, maybe i'm going a little nutty with the polls. but it's fun!

Subject: Re: Green Machine or Big Wheel?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/28/05 at 2:54 pm

I loved my Big Wheel when I was a kid (and I still wonder why they haven't built an adult-sized model. If they did, I have this sneaking suspicion that it would put a dent in Harley-Davidson's sales. ;D)
  One of the neighbor kids had a Green Machine, and I thought it was too squirrely (when it came to the handling).

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 5:04 pm

I loved my Big Wheel when I was a kid (and I still wonder why they haven't built an adult-sized model. If they did, I have this sneaking suspicion that it would put a dent in Harley-Davidson's sales. ;D)
  One of the neighbor kids had a Green Machine, and I thought it was too squirrely (when it came to the handling).

as an ex-diesel jockey, you've definitely got more authority than me! lol. i'd love to see a souped-up gas-powered big wheel for grownups. haha.

as i recall the green machine was sorta marketed on the basis of its squirrely handling. it was sorta like this suicide machine. i'm not sure you could steer it, mainly you had those brake handles on the wheels.

i think it actually might have been your animated gif of the dragster that might have called it to mind, because it was obviously modeled after a dragster, yeah? the big wheel was more like an all-purpose all-terrain vehicle. i think i actually had both at various times.

Written By: gord on 10/28/05 at 6:06 pm

I never owned a big wheel, a few of the kids in my hood had them ;D

I can't picture what a green machine looked like :)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 6:32 pm

I never owned a big wheel, a few of the kids in my hood had them ;D

I can't picture what a green machine looked like :)

allow me.

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/ marx/greenmachine2d.jpg

Written By: gord on 10/28/05 at 11:38 pm

allow me.

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/ marx/greenmachine2d.jpg

thanks Tia, it doesn't look familiar though ;)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:48 pm

err, well, you know, it was a toy that left a lot to the imagination.

:P

hmm, let me figure out what happened there and get back to you.

Written By: Skippy on 10/29/05 at 12:21 am

hmm, let me figure out what happened there and get back to you.

In your link URL(http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/ marx/greenmachine2d.jpg) you have space where one shouldn't be. The correct URL is http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/marx/greenmachine2d.jpg

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/marx/greenmachine2d.jpg

Written By: gord on 10/29/05 at 8:14 am

it looks like a wild ride, steering with levers, they weren't as common as big wheels around here :)

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 8:58 am

thanks skippy.

one thing that doesn't come through in the picture is, there's a little panic spinout lever, they made a big deal out of it in the commercials. you would yank it while you were going real fast (hmm, that doesn't sound so good either) and you'd spin around and maybe, if you were lucky, roll over, fall out of the thing and crack your skull against the concrete. then you'd giggle profusely, hop back on and do it all over again.

i guess that's the sort of thing that would lead to lots of lawsuits in today's world, what with playgrounds that are padded for safety and all.

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/29/05 at 11:58 am

my kids had both of those. and a roller racer too.
I was too big to ride any of 'em.

Written By: jackas on 11/03/05 at 8:45 am

The Big Wheel was better, but I have to say that the Green Machine was pretty freakin awesome to spin out with.  If you yanked those steering levers just right you could do a cool 360.

Written By: jackas on 11/03/05 at 8:46 am

Hey Al, I've got something for you!

http://www.bigwheelrally.com/store/adult.htm

Written By: Skippy on 11/03/05 at 12:13 pm

I was over at eBay a couple of days ago looking for a good deal on a used 10 speed bike and saw 3 Green Machines for sale. Two were stll in boxes.

Written By: Tia on 11/03/05 at 12:17 pm

I was over at eBay a couple of days ago looking for a good deal on a used 10 speed bike and saw 3 Green Machines for sale. Two were stll in boxes.

wow. i'm wondering if they're still making them?

those adult bigwheels are pretty cool. (there's even an adult green machine!) they're sorta verging on recumbent bikes, which you see a lot around here these days.

Written By: mike on 08/28/10 at 6:05 pm

The green machine rules all... I still have most of my 1975 green machinr left ;)

Written By: mike on 08/28/10 at 6:06 pm

machine

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/10 at 9:08 pm

Big Wheel. 

Whatever happened to Tia, anyway?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/29/10 at 7:54 pm

Big Wheel. 

Whatever happened to Tia, anyway?
I see him on Facebook every now and then, haven't seen him here in ages.  :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/29/10 at 7:56 pm

Big wheel and Tia is here. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...