inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Full-Bore V8 Gas-Guzzlinest' 70s Car Chase Movie!

Written By: Tia on 11/15/05 at 8:54 pm

My vote goes to The Car. Because huge evil supernatural cadillacs with no drivers just... rock.

Subject: Re: Most Full-Bore V8 Gas-Guzzlinest' 70s Car Chase Movie!

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/15/05 at 9:14 pm

My son loves car movies...Steve McQueen is his favorite actor...his favorite movies are Bullitt and Lemans, and The Hunter..cause they have car scenes in them (all though I am not sure of the year they came out-except The Hunter was out in 1980-and the scene he liked was him chasing the guys in the Trans Am through the corn field).

Written By: Tia on 11/15/05 at 9:50 pm

bullitt's fabulous -- but it's 1968! so i was denied!

another amazing car chase movie is mad max -- but i believe it's 1980. otherwise, i'd have given them number 1 and 2.

my uncle used to collect the vintage sportscars -- he had a blue 1970 stingray, which is the single most beautiful car i've ever ridden in, and a late 70s trans am, i think it might have been 78 or 79. i believe burt reynolds might have driven a similar vehicle in smokey and the bandit.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/15/05 at 10:02 pm

OMG!  A really good friend of mine had a 1966 Corvette Stingray...it was a powdered metallic blue color, he would let us cruise around in it, and one of my best friend's own an 1980 Red Corvette, and we'd cruise with the T-tops out....I love Classic cars...My grandfather owned a company that distributed 1920's Dodge Brothers car parts...so that is "really" classic, you should have seen some of the cars he had.

My one contractor has 2 street rods...they are totally awesome, he brought one to my house not long ago, and we cruised around in it..., his other one is black and has the side suicide doors, and the inside is lavendar...it is way cool.

Written By: jackas on 11/15/05 at 10:04 pm

bullitt's fabulous -- but it's 1968! so i was denied!

another amazing car chase movie is mad max -- but i believe it's 1980. otherwise, i'd have given them number 1 and 2.

my uncle used to collect the vintage sportscars -- he had a blue 1970 stingray, which is the single most beautiful car i've ever ridden in, and a late 70s trans am, i think it might have been 78 or 79. i believe burt reynolds might have driven a similar vehicle in smokey and the bandit.

Mad Max is actually 1979, so I guess it can be #1. :)

Written By: Davester on 11/16/05 at 4:51 am

Mad Max is actually 1979, so I guess it can be #1. :)

I'm with you...

Modified 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe...

Written By: gord on 11/16/05 at 5:33 am

I'll say smokey and the bandit for a chase movie, american graffitti would be my favorite out of these though :)

Written By: gord on 11/16/05 at 5:43 am

My son loves car movies...Steve McQueen is his favorite actor...his favorite movies are Bullitt and Lemans

that's very cool, Steve drove race cars at a professional level and did alot of the driving for the le mans movie at the circuit in france, his son chad races in the grand american road racing series now. If your son hasn't already, have him check out a documentery movie called 'on any sunday' , showing alot of steve motorcycling :)

Written By: jackas on 11/16/05 at 8:05 am

I have to point out that Duel was an awful movie. 

My sister and I used to sit and watch it everytime it came on.  I'm not sure why, maybe to torture ourselves.....  Anyway, we would sit and watch that movie and the whole time we would be yelling at Dennis Weaver to turn around and go back toward home and to stop talking to himself. :P ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 10:04 am

I have to point out that Duel was an awful movie.

Written By: Skippy on 11/16/05 at 2:36 pm

Other: Burt Reynolds' "Gator McKlusky" character in White Lightening and Gator.
On the list: Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry, Smokey & the Bandit.

Written By: IanWinn on 11/16/05 at 2:43 pm

American Grafitti.  Classic!

BTW, AG had a young...HARRISON FORD!!  One of the best actors in Hollywood.  Pity he didn't have a cameo in any of the Star Wars prequels...

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 4:16 pm

American Grafitti.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/16/05 at 7:03 pm

I wanna ask Jacks...what is up with the cow bell banging caveman?? I am new and must have missed out on the whole thing...it looks like Will Farrell though....it is a little bit disturbing to see it all the time...I think I am going to start having nightmares about it. :o

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 7:11 pm

it's actually from an snl skit, i think -- blue oyster cult, that guy has his paunch all hanging out, and this producer dude is all, that's not enough cowbell! i need more cowbell!

my favorite line: "I've got a fever... and the only cure is... more cowbell...." it's quite hilarious.

and if you want some good old-fashioned nightmare fuel, valleyGee, the producer is played by... christopher walken! creepy.

i loved him in annie hall.

anyway, to avert thread derailment! my uncle's stingray looked a lot like this

http://www.altoonacorvetteclub.com/i/Corvettes/tn_Mastri-Mike.jpg

only it was mellow-70s deep blue. he sold it and then found out it was a rarity -- apparently they didn't make many stingrays in 1970.

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/16/05 at 7:52 pm

Now that's a "dreamy" photo!  ;)

Then if it was an SNL skit...it was Will Farrell....yikes!  :o

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 8:36 pm

^remember, as you nod off tonight, think hairy will farrells and cowbells... and christopher walken...... floating through the air...........

http://www.ananova.com/images/entertainment/Fatboy350x450mtv.jpg

:o

Written By: gemini on 11/16/05 at 8:45 pm

I'd have to pick American Graffiti. I wasn't too much into the car chase thing. And as for the SNL skit, "more cowbell!" I love that skit! Christopher Walken is too cool!  :D

Written By: Tia on 11/16/05 at 8:51 pm

^car chases rule! it's a lost cinematic art. see "bullitt," it's the mona lisa of car chases.

i put dirty larry on the top of my queue. it's by the director of the "witch mountain" movies! which also have some pretty good chases in them.

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-402.jpg

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-422.jpg

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-439.jpg

Written By: gemini on 11/16/05 at 8:58 pm

^car chases rule! it's a lost cinematic art. see "bullitt," it's the mona lisa of car chases.

i put dirty larry on the top of my queue. it's by the director of the "witch mountain" movies! which also have some pretty good chases in them.

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-402.jpg

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-422.jpg

http://www.kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-439.jpg

Ok, my husband has just informed me that bullet is "the most kick @ss car chase ever"  ;D

Written By: jackas on 11/17/05 at 1:22 am

I wanna ask Jacks...what is up with the cow bell banging caveman?? I am new and must have missed out on the whole thing...it looks like Will Farrell though....it is a little bit disturbing to see it all the time...I think I am going to start having nightmares about it. :o

Here is a clip of the skit.

http://gorillamask.net/morecowbell.shtml

Written By: jackas on 11/17/05 at 1:34 am

i always have to remind myself to read what you're saying, cuz i get so hypnotized by the cowbell i sorta forget... :)

a lot of those movies i haven't actually seen. although i did check out "corvette summer" in the theater when it came out (with my uncle with the 70 stingray!) and i think i saw "stingray" too. i remember them both actually not being very good.

this thread's got me remembering how much "mad max" really rocks, though. i'ma have to see that again, if i can ever get my netflix problems worked out...

Sorry if my post sounded critical. :(  I wasn't implying that Duel shouldn't be on this thread. 

I was just making a comment on how Dennis Weaver's character is really annoying in the film and I would sit and watch the whole damn movie anyway.

Written By: Davester on 11/17/05 at 4:34 am

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 8:12 am

Sorry if my post sounded critical. :(

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 10:20 am

Written By: Skippy on 11/17/05 at 4:13 pm

car chases rule! it's a lost cinematic art. see "bullitt," it's the mona lisa of car chases.

Funny thing about Bullitt, when the Charger crashed into the gas station, it actually missed the pumps. It was so heavy they couldn't make the turn.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 4:19 pm

Funny thing about Bullitt, when the Charger crashed into the gas station, it actually missed the pumps. It was so heavy they couldn't make the turn.

Our keyboard player in our old band has a 1970 charger. 1969? Thereabouts. Pretty beautiful. Unfortunately right now it has no engine. Or seats.

I wanna see bullitt again now. I've only seen it once. I'm gonna watch so many dang car chase movies my house is gonna smell like motor oil!

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/17/05 at 7:16 pm

My Best Friend in Highschool...had a 1969 Mustang it was Black and royal blue. Her liscense plate said : 1BAD69.

I loved that car, we use to cruise around in it. I remember dressing to match it, in a black spandex bodysuit...and I had black high heeled boots on, and a turquoise satin blazer on, and we thought we were pretty bad then too.

The 80's had the coolest cars...the Z28's , the TransAms, IROC Z's, Camero's, Firebird's....and the Vettes....

My first car was a Chevy Cavalier,

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 7:49 pm

My first car was a Chevy Cavalier,

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/17/05 at 11:25 pm

I drive a midnight blue Oldsmobile Intrigue now, and a champagne colored Town N Country LX Van ...so I am not totally hip....but my husband happens to work in the automotive field...so we sometimes get to drive one of these:

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/17/05 at 11:34 pm

i chose gone in 60 seconds..all time classic of cars being destroyed all for the movie...best chase scene ever although the acting was awful...on any sunday was cool...and the white lightning movie was also cool...all these i seen in the theatres...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/18/05 at 4:56 pm

Duel

Written By: Tia on 11/28/05 at 3:53 pm

update, i just saw "dirty mary crazy larry" and it totally rocks! the ending was a little bit of a copout, i thought, but holy carp, those chase scenes are insane. not quite as good as mad max, but dam close.

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 3:57 pm

it's gotta be DUEL.  That movie just so rocked  8)

Written By: Tia on 11/28/05 at 4:02 pm

duel's on my queue, maybe i'll move it up. (i also put on vanishing point and two-lane blacktop... oh, and corvette summer...) but i originally voted for "the car" and dirty mary is ten times better.

Written By: Tia on 11/28/05 at 4:44 pm

i'm gonna just start dirty mary from the beginning and watch it all over again. i'm crazy that way.

john hough rocks my world!

Written By: Skippy on 11/28/05 at 7:58 pm

i just saw "dirty mary crazy larry" and it totally rocks!
Um, ya, that's why I voted for it.  ::)  If "The Blues Brothers" had been released a year earlier it would have been my #1 and DMCL would have been #2.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 11/28/05 at 10:30 pm

Um, ya, that's why I voted for it.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/05 at 3:47 pm

i'm watching duel now. it's all right, pretty cool. dirty mary crazy larry is better though. though very different.

aw, shoulda got that radiator hose, dude! lol.

you can really really see the influence this movie had on "the car" and "the hitcher," much later. you know, the whole creepy anonymous psycho on the road thing. but "the car" is also cooler, by a nose.

Written By: bruce on 12/16/05 at 11:45 pm

VANISHING POINT is an awesome movie as is DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY .But SMOKEY and THE BANDIT is my Favorite .Me and my kid watch it and its great .Jackie Gleason has some of the funnyest lines on film (You sonofabitches couldnt close an umbrella)  The Cannonball Run movies are good too but they might be 80s

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/17/05 at 12:02 am

I'll give Vanishing Point the nod for one reason.  1970 Dodge Challenger

Written By: AmandaSparks on 12/17/05 at 10:30 pm

Hey, didn't French Connection have a good car chase, or a subway chase, or both? :-\\ It was a kickass 70's movie, all those beautiful shades of brown...

Written By: Tia on 12/18/05 at 10:25 am

hey stranger!

french connection did have a rockin' car chase, yeah, i forgot that. i think it was under an elevated subway, yeah?

you know what other movie has a car chase under an elevated subway? return from witch mountain. s'right.

it's, um, not very good though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 10:32 am

The James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever had an excellent car chase around Las Vegas in it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/05 at 9:11 pm

American Graffitti...especially John Milner's hot-rod...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/29/05 at 9:39 pm

American Graffitti...especially John Milner's hot-rod...
You take that yellow hot rod and I'll take Harrison Fords black 55 Chevy even though he loses it and wrecks. I had one and am partial to it. That yellow roadster did kick butt, what a great car to cruise town in.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/05 at 10:06 pm

Duel was cool.....

Written By: KKay on 12/30/05 at 10:35 am

I love Smokey and the Bandit, which I voted for.
I love many; but my heart belongs to Mark Hamill and Annie Potts in Corvette Summer.
They really didnt drive that much, seems to me.

Written By: Tia on 02/11/06 at 5:20 pm

bump!

started watching vanishing point last night. couldn't get through it, just because i was so tired, but man, it's pretty rockin'. not as good as dirty mary crazy larry but much more subtextual and philosophical and political, while still managing to be stuffed to the gills with constant bangin' car chases! in this one the "hero" has to get a souped up 1970 dodge challenger (i didn't even know there was such a make and model, i just knew about the charger) across the US in 15 hours while hopped up on bennies.

Written By: Tia on 02/11/06 at 5:22 pm

I'll give Vanishing Point the nod for one reason.  1970 Dodge Challenger

that thing does kick a.

Written By: Skippy(out but in) on 02/11/06 at 11:19 pm

bump!
in this one the "hero" has to get a souped up 1970 dodge challenger (i didn't even know there was such a make and model, i just knew about the charger) across the US in 15 hours while hopped up on bennies.

You really didn't know Doge made the Challenger? I'm terribly dissapointed here. LOL The Dodge Challenger was basically a larger, more refined version of Plymouth's 'Cuda. Much like the Mercury Cougar was a larger, more refined version of Ford's Mustang. In any case, with the available options of the early 70's, any four of the previously mentioned could kick some serious booty. That is, until the insurance companies came along and ruined everything. (much like the France family is ruining racing  ;) )

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 12:59 pm

i didn't! i just knew about the charger.

it's funny, i was looking at lots of chargers online and the '69 is the only one i like. it looks EVIL with the black grill with no headlights. that's the dirty harry car and the dukes of hazzard car too, i believe. it's still my favorite. i love how in dirty harry they dared to make it that goofy off-yellow color.

that challenger was bad too though. they brought back the charger, i didn't even know. i don't really care much for the new ones, though. i don't really care for any new sportscars.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 1:10 am

okay, just sucked down "corvette summer."

pretty retarded, and yet somehow i kept watching it. three things would have fixed this movie:

1. the souped-up corvette that sorta looks like a tiger shark is HIDEOUS. a stock 73 corvette is obviously a beautiful car to begin with, and there's a million things you could do to make it look even better, and they did none of them and instead put flames and a ridiculous pseudoblower and cheesy headlights on it.

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Images/Dynamic/i32/CorvetteSummer_FF_300x225_060620051530.gif

gawd. eyesore. get rid of that, use a real corvette. something cool.

2. trade in whatsherface, the wannabe prostitute love interest, for an actual actress.

and 3. um, i forgot what three was, actually. but i woulda fixed it.

the bad guys had a real nice black camaro, though. which just ended up making you root for the bad guys. and mark hamill was quite dreamy a year after doing "Star wars", if you like that sort of thing, which i don't, because i'm not gay. a couple of times they're doing crowd shots in las vegas casinos or wherever and i swear it seems like you can see one of the extras in the background do a double-take, like, holy schiesse, that's luke skywalker! he was pretty much more popular than jesus in 1978. sorry, harmonica.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 8:41 am

okay, just sucked down "corvette summer."

pretty retarded, and yet somehow i kept watching it. three things would have fixed this movie:

1. the souped-up corvette that sorta looks like a tiger shark is HIDEOUS.

gawd. eyesore. get rid of that, use a real corvette. something cool.

2. trade in whatsherface, the wannabe prostitute love interest, for an actual actress.
a couple of times they're doing crowd shots in las vegas casinos or wherever and i swear it seems like you can see one of the extras in the background do a double-take,

I love this movie. It's the apex of cheese and bad film making which, for some reason, keeps your eyes glued to the screen. It's like a bad car accident- you know you shouldnt look....
OK
1. Right. don't know tons about cars, but I suspect Mark Hammilll was the draw there.
2. They could have had Beverly D'angelo, who is always hot and in stupid comedies. Or better yet, my idol PJ Soles!  Hey! Look at the poster!
It says "Mark Hammill who you loved in Star WArs and Annie Potts who you'll never forget"  and then you went "Who?"
http://www.postersnthings.com/posters/corvette_summer.jpg

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 9:12 am

I love this movie. It's the apex of cheese and bad film making which, for some reason, keeps your eyes glued to the screen. It's like a bad car accident- you know you shouldnt look....
OK
1. Right. don't know tons about cars, but I suspect Mark Hammilll was the draw there.
2. They could have had Beverly D'angelo, who is always hot and in stupid comedies. Or better yet, my idol PJ Soles!  Hey! Look at the poster!
It says "Mark Hammill who you loved in Star WArs and Annie Potts who you'll never forget"   and then you went "Who?"
http://www.postersnthings.com/posters/corvette_summer.jpg

i remembered the third thing! the music! terrible. and in a decade known for great music. wtf?

yeah, you're dead on. it was so cheesy and bad and i really couldn't take my eyes off it. it's got some interesting cameos in it, too. Danny Bonaduce. who was that guy, remember, who runs the vette through the car wash and mark hamill ends up chasing him on a bicycle? i've seen that dude in a million things. and that guy who gave mark hamill the two-dollar bill. he's a real classic character actor, but again, offhand i can't think of the stuff he's been in.

i got this movie mixed up with another movie called "Stingray." i saw stingray with my uncle way back in the day and i kept waiting for the scene where mark hamill falls off the bridge but nope, completely different movie. it's really hard to find now, you can buy it on ebay on VHS for like forty bucks.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 9:43 am

who was that guy, remember, who runs the vette through the car wash and mark hamill ends up chasing him on a bicycle? i've seen that dude in a million things.

You mean this guy?
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/83/45/22m.jpg

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 9:49 am

You mean this guy?
Yeah, that's him! I see he hasn't gotten any prettier with age. I've seen that dude in a hundred trillion things. He always plays the dopey strong-arm bad guy.

One thing I liked about CS -- the villains were definitely despicable, even if it was in that wooden quasi-made-for-tv kinda way. good villains count for a LOT in a movie. The importance of a good villain is routinely undersestimated.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 9:57 am

You mean this guy?

ahhhh my images won't work!

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 10:00 am

ahhhh my images won't work!
i just copy em into my browser url line, follow the link adn then they work after that,

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 10:32 am

i just copy em into my browser url line, follow the link adn then they work after that,

I know...it just vanished. it was there. I hate doing it again. arg.

Written By: Tia on 08/01/06 at 12:01 am

*sigh.*

remember valley girl?

anyway, i dusted off this thread because i just saw "bullitt" on the national mall as part of their screen on the green series and that car chase is just so amazing. (i'm still not sure it's cooler than dirty mary crazy larry though.) you really have to see it on the big screen to get the full effect and it's better when the speakers really deafen you. they just don't make em like that anymore!

was the bad guy's car a charger or a gto or what? i love how when they do the cabin shots on steve mcqueen you can hear that mustang engine going full bore but then the shots of the bad guys the engine's just kinda humming along, ho hum.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=MikeSutton/bullitt4.jpg

good review, the heavily edited way they do car chases now you really don't get a sense of the skill of the stunt drivers. it's all a big blur.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57401

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 1:35 am

Other:

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

Written By: Tia on 08/03/06 at 3:47 pm

did diamonds are forever have a car chase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaAi9I15Pg

john hough is a god.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/06 at 4:37 pm

did diamonds are forever have a car chase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaAi9I15Pg

john hough is a god.
Driving around Las Vegas.

Check for new replies or respond here...