inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oh dear god.

Written By: Elle on 11/18/05 at 1:30 pm

I havn't really read through the forum or anything, but i just thought i'd say...i was searching for a top ten of 70's movies (doing pop culture in art) and landed on this site...any whoooo..

I could not believe my eyes...that Saturday Night Fever and Grease are not like in the top five..they're not even on there.

They are probably the most sold remembered and loved movies of the 70s and STILL watched and passed on today..

Just thought i'd let you know.. Now if thats no use to you.. no worries

Subject: Re: Oh dear god.

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 10:58 am

I havn't really read through the forum or anything, but i just thought i'd say...i was searching for a top ten of 70's movies (doing pop culture in art) and landed on this site...any whoooo..

I could not believe my eyes...that Saturday Night Fever and Grease are not like in the top five..they're not even on there.

They are probably the most sold remembered and loved movies of the 70s and STILL watched and passed on today..

Just thought i'd let you know.. Now if thats no use to you.. no worries

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 11:10 am

i'll have you know i now have "stayin' alive" in my head from reading your post!

AND i have a punky brewster on my netflix queue with andy gibb as a guest star.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/20/05 at 8:58 am

"I don't get it" not from a 70's movie  :)

there's probably a thread about what our top 70's movie's are....might be what Elle meant...

Written By: Elle on 11/20/05 at 10:41 am

Heyhey!

Haha i have Rock n Roll is Here to Stay in my head

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/05 at 11:31 am

Grease and Sat. Nite Fever were good but I wouldn't expect them in the top five of all movies made in the 70's.  they are iconic for the decade but not what you call great cinematic fare.

you are talking about a decade with The Godfather I & II, Apocalypse Now, Dog Day Afternoon, Lady Sings the Blues, Kramer vs Kramer, The Way We Were, Network, hell even Star Wars and many other films that were far more significant and higher brow than Grease and SNF.

Written By: Tia on 11/20/05 at 1:17 pm

offhand my favorite movies from the seventies in no particular order are probably

the passenger (no you haven't heard of it but it's beautiful; it's getting rereleased next week! if it's showing in your area, go and see it! and then hate me for recommending it!)
the conversation
taxi driver
close encounters of the third kind
jaws
star wars
apocalypse now
thx-1138
network
something by peter weir, maybe the last wave

ask me tomorrow and i'll probably name ten different ones. it was such a great decade for movies.

of course, nothing's as cool as witch mountain.

Check for new replies or respond here...