inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boney M

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:07 pm

1976 - Daddy Cool
1976 - Sunny
1977 - Ma Baker
1977 - Belfast
1978 - Rivers Of Babylon
1978 - Brown Girl In The Ring
1978 - Rasputin
1979 - Painter Man
1978 - Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord
1979 - Hooray! Hooray! (It's A Holi-Holiday)
1979 - Gotta Go Home
1979 - I'm Born Again

1980 - My Friend Jack
1981 - Children Of Paradise
1981 - We Kill The World (Don't Kill The World)

1990 - Stories <Boney M and Liz Mitchell>
1992 - Boney M Megamix
1993 - Brown Girl In The Ring <re-issue>
1999 - Ma Baker / Somebody Screamed <Boney M vs. Horny United>

2001 - Daddy Cool 2001

2021 - Rasputin <Majestic x Boney M>

NOTE:  Rivers Of Babylon and Brown Girl In The Ring were released in the UK together as a Double AA Side

Subject: Re: Boney M

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/05 at 1:28 pm

1978 - Rivers of Babylon

Written By: Banks on 11/24/05 at 12:52 am

I LOVE Rasputin. Such a catchy tune.

AN

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/24/05 at 12:57 am

Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord

Written By: mandamoo on 11/25/05 at 6:28 am

Daddy Cool

Written By: jaytee on 05/01/06 at 10:58 pm

Daddy Cool

My favourite too!

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/06 at 4:04 pm

I went for 'Rivers of Babylon' but love 'Ma Baker','Rasputin' and 'Brown girl in the ring' too.

Written By: retrolady on 05/05/06 at 10:38 am

I voted for "Daddy cool"
Still have memories of singing along to "Brown girl in the ring" when I was a kid ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/06 at 12:20 pm

I like Sunny the best, but I also love Rivers of Babylon, Painter Man and Ra-Ra-Rasputin!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 11:10 pm

Rah, rah, Rasputin!  Lover of the Russian Queen!

Rasputin wins for historical accuracy, except that they needed another verse.

Rasputin didn't merely die due to being poisoned ("They put some poison into his wine / he drank it all and said 'I'll be fine!') and shot (the last line in the song being "They didn't quit, they wanted his head / Rah, rah, Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine / And so they shot him 'till he was dead").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Rasputin

For what (very!) little it's worth, I choose to believe everything that's been said about him.  Namely, that Boney M cut their song short by a verse - neither "they put some poison into his wine", nor "they didn't quit, they wanted his head .. and so they shot him 'till he was dead" - as the end of the story, but that he died, after having been poisoned *and* shot, by drowning.  I choose to believe that, and all 30cm of the rest of the story.

A fella's gotta have dreams.  ("Hil*ahem*ly  or C*bleep* um, ondi in two thousand *whups* and  8?  I don't care, I'm nonpartisan and available!")

Written By: Paul on 05/07/06 at 5:47 pm

'Rasputin'...('Oh...dose Russians!')

They did have a bit of an eclectic output...'Painter Man' and 'My Friend Jack' were both covers of 60s pop/psych songs, of all things!

Written By: jpcanes on 03/05/07 at 11:10 am

Love Boney M!!

Voted for Rasputin.  :)

Written By: Nostalgic on 03/16/07 at 11:37 pm

Probably "Rasputin" is my favourite, but I also like "Hooray, Hooray, It's A Holi-Holiday!"

Written By: jdhardin on 05/08/07 at 2:04 am

I worked on a Russian fishing trawlers (am non-Russian), and can tell you that Bony M was very popular in Russia.  It was strange to me, since I had never heard of them.

Written By: KittyBass on 05/11/07 at 1:48 pm

I voted for Daddy Cool, but I like Rasputin as well.

Written By: Henk on 05/11/07 at 5:16 pm

I felt the urge to fill in some blanks... ::)

1975 - Baby Do You Wanna Bump

Take the Heat Off Me (1976)
1976 - Daddy Cool
1976 - Sunny

Love For Sale (1977)
1977 - Ma Baker
1977 - Belfast

Nightflight to Venus (1978)
1978 - Rivers of Babylon / Brown Girl in the Ring <Double AA Side>
1978 - Rivers of Babylon
1978 - Brown Girl in the Ring
1978 - Rasputin / Painter Man <Double AA Side>
1978 - Rasputin
1979 - Painter Man

Non-album single
1978 - Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord

Oceans of Fantasy (1979)
1979 - Hooray! Hooray! (It's A Holi-Holiday)
1979 - El Lute / Gotta Go Home <Double AA Side>
1979 - Gotta Go Home
1979 - I'm Born Again / Bahama Mama <Double AA Side>
1979 - I'm Born Again

The Magic of Boney M (1980)
1980 - My Friend Jack
1980 - I See A Boat On The River

Boonoonoonoos (1981)
1981 - Children of Paradise
1981 - Malaika
1981 - We Kill the World (Don't Kill the World)

Christmas Album (1981)

1984 - Kalimba De Luna

Non-album single
1990 - Stories <Boney M and Liz Mitchell>

Boney M Gold (1993)
1992 - Boney M Megamix
1993 - Brown Girl in the Ring <re-issue>

More Gold - 20 Superhits Volume II (1993)

20th Century Hits (1999)
1999 - Ma Baker / Somebody Screamed <Boney M vs. Horny United>

Written By: Paul on 05/11/07 at 5:39 pm

'Rivers Of Babylon'/'Brown Girl In The Ring' had a strange history in the UK...

'Rivers Of Babylon' entered the chart in late April 1978 and duly shot to #1 within a fortnight, where it stayed for five weeks...

Then gradually, it started to slip which, in normal circumstances, would have been the end of the story...

But in August, 'Brown Girl In The Ring' started to receive airplay (due to the song being popular with returning British holidaymakers, who probably unwittingly bought the record twice, by going into a record store and asking for Boney M's 'new record'!)

And it proved so popular, that 'Brown Girl' peaked at #2 in September!

To this day, it remains one of the biggest selling singles in Britain...shifting nearly 2 million copies!

Written By: tv on 05/13/07 at 12:53 pm

You know whats interesting about "Boney M" is the founder of "Boney M" was none other than the guy who produced for late 80's controversal Pop/R&B group Milli Vanilli(i.e. Frank Farian.) Farian also recorded vocals for 2 Boney M songs as well such as "Bye Bye Bluebird" and "Dancing in The Streets".

Farian also produced for mid 90's Dance/Club acts such as "No Mercy" , "La Bouche", and "Le Click".

Written By: K-Bee on 05/14/07 at 12:53 am

For me Boney M is one of the main reasons that disco turned out to be a much hated style at the turn of the decade. Commercializing a music genre never does it any good in terms of quality or artistic integrity.
Boney M were nothing but 3 minute pop songs with a steady beat and hilariously bad lyrics and I detest everything about what they did to the style! Anyone familiar with what I consider to be real disco will agree with me without a doubt. Just listen to the works of Alec R Costandinos (usually worked under the "Love And Kisses" name), Boris Midney, Cerrone or Vince Montana (Salsoul Orchestra). It really is in a different league.

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/09 at 12:28 am

I just (finally) picked up a copy of 'Boney M. Gold'.  Oddly enough until now, I didn't have any Boney M on CD which is odd as they have like a kazillian unofficial compilation CDs out there LOL

World-wide, their 1980 collection 'The Magic of Boney M' remains their most successful compilation album ever.  The 2006 version of it (which contained additional tracks) even found it's way back in to the Canadian Top 40

Written By: Zeb on 01/14/09 at 11:40 am

I have "Rasputin" on my MP3. 

Written By: robby76 on 01/15/09 at 9:44 am

Boney M take me right back to my earliest memories. They were far out with their glitzy futuristic costumes. We used to love seeing that guy going for it when he danced!  ;D My family also had their concerts and tv specials on Betamax and vhs. When the poll started I voted Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord and I'll stick to that. Rasputin and Ma Baker are high contenders though.

http://www.thestranger.com/lineout/files/2007/03/boney_m.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 11/24/10 at 11:30 pm

I keep hearing Boney M on the radio lately.  Well, sort of ... It's interesting how Boney M songs have been sampled in a few popular hits in the last while ...

Lady Gaga borrowed 'Ma Baker' and hit #1 around the world with 'Poker Face' back in 08/09

Armand Van Helden and Duck Sauce borrowed 'Gotta Go Home' and recently entered the UK Top 10 with the oddly catchy 'Barbra Streisand' which also hit the Top 60 in Canada

Check for new replies or respond here...