inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blue Oyster Cult

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 10:19 pm

I voted for Shooting Shark.  That song is 7 minutes of excellence :)

Subject: Re: Blue

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/05 at 11:26 pm

Burnin' For You

Written By: Banks on 11/28/05 at 12:55 am

I chose (Dont Fear) The Reaper.

AN

Written By: gord on 11/28/05 at 5:33 am

'Burnin For You' and 'Don't Fear The Reaper' and another would be 'Godzilla' :)

Written By: star500 on 11/28/05 at 8:39 am

I chose Don't Fear the Reaper, partly because I don't know any of Blue's other songs ;D and partly because it is an awesome song. I love it in Halloween when they use the song when Laurie and her friend are driving home. It just makes the movie extra creepy. Do they use this song in any other movies?

Written By: Watcher29 on 11/28/05 at 11:12 am

It plays at the end of "The Frighteners" with Michael J. Fox. Although I think somebody else besides Blue Oyster Cult did that version.

I also like "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" - it's on the same album as "Burnin' For You" and it plays to good effect in the original "Heavy Metal".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/05 at 12:07 pm

Burnin' for you-followed by Don't fear the Reaper.

Saw them in concert back in 1981 (?).

Cat

Written By: micah on 11/28/05 at 3:19 pm

Burnin for you  for me also. I've seen them quite a few times. In 1975, '76,'77 and either 1980 or '81.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/29/05 at 3:57 pm

Burnin' For You

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/29/05 at 11:17 pm

Don't Fear the Reaper (only one I know)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/30/05 at 7:18 am

I'm going with the only one I know:

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Good song, however.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/05 at 11:25 am

1976 - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Written By: RDee on 12/10/05 at 2:01 am

(C'mon) Take Me Away (1983). Just 'cause it wasn't mentioned. But Burnin' for You, Godzilla, Reaper - they're all good.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/05 at 3:06 am

These guys still ROCK, they play frequently at a place in San Francisco called Slims. It's real small and you pay $20bucks to get in and your 5-15 yards away from the band.  Very cool
I chose Don't Fear the Reaper because I love the long guitar solo

Written By: mandamoo on 12/10/05 at 7:06 am

(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Written By: whiteport on 12/10/05 at 8:44 am

I voted other although all mentioned are great songs by a great band, anyways my other would be "Veteran Of The Psychic Wars". it used to get quiet a bit of air-play around here.

Written By: bruce on 12/16/05 at 9:59 pm

GO  GO  GODZILLA  SPECTRES is my favorite BLUE OYSTER CULT album 

Subject: Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Written By: nally on 10/08/07 at 2:29 pm

I'm surprised "Burning For You" is listed twice, and "Don't Fear The Reaper" isn't listed at all. :o For the record, those are the only two BOC songs I know.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/08/07 at 3:30 pm

I'm surprised "Burning For You" is listed twice, and "Don't Fear The Reaper" isn't listed at all. :o For the record, those are the only two BOC songs I know.

I believe a lot of the polls got 'messed up' from when the board crashed a little while back...and some of the songs ended up being duplicated...

The only way to correct that is to have the person who started the poll go in and edit it...

Written By: wildcard on 10/08/07 at 5:35 pm

Dont Fear The Reaper and Godzilla are probably the only two songs I know. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/07 at 8:15 pm

I pick "Don't Fear The Reaper" but like "Burning For You" too.  :)

Written By: nally on 10/09/07 at 6:24 pm

I believe a lot of the polls got 'messed up' from when the board crashed a little while back...and some of the songs ended up being duplicated...

The only way to correct that is to have the person who started the poll go in and edit it...

That also happens when a poll gets edited...especially if an item is inserted. That happened to me once when I added songs to my "R.E.M. 90's Song Poll." What I had to do was wipe out all the votes, PM everyone who had responded to the poll and tell them to re-cast their votes.

Subject: Re: Blue Oester Cult

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/10/07 at 2:05 pm

That also happens when a poll gets edited...especially if an item is inserted. That happened to me once when I added songs to my "R.E.M. 90's Song Poll." What I had to do was wipe out all the votes, PM everyone who had responded to the poll and tell them to re-cast their votes.

That sounds like more trouble than it's worth!

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 2:08 pm

That sounds like more trouble than it's worth!

Well maybe so, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone got their vote counted fairly. Besides, I was able to send the same message to multiple recipients at the same time.

What I don't get, however, is that when you insert an option into a poll, it overrides the first option.

Written By: NbC on 10/13/07 at 3:58 am

Great Band

Other:  Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/07 at 3:46 pm

Alot of polls got messed up yes. 

'Don't Fear the Reaper' is now back where it once was :)

Written By: Brigitte on 10/13/07 at 4:22 pm

I've got 1 album called 'Cultosaurus Erectus' (1980) which has a bunch of great songs on it.
Monsters
Deadline
Lips in the hills
Divine wind
Fallen angel

Written By: nally on 10/14/07 at 11:42 am

Alot of polls got messed up yes. 

'Don't Fear the Reaper' is now back where it once was :)

Great!! But I think it was from 1976 not 1981 ;)

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/07 at 9:40 am

Great!! But I think it was from 1976 not 1981 ;)

LOL I changed the song, but forgot to change the date.  I think I need a vacation ;D

Written By: ninny on 10/17/07 at 12:13 pm

don't fear the reaper.....but it needs more cowbell!

Written By: Booberry on 01/12/08 at 5:34 pm

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is a great tune, and used to good effect in Heavy Metal. But my other has to go for Joan Crawford, which straddles the line between camp and macabre.

Policemen are hiding behind the skirts of little girls
Their eyes have turned the color of frozen meat

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/12/08 at 7:48 pm

I like "Don't Fear the Reaper".  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/12/08 at 10:39 pm

(Don't Fear) The Reaper  which I mentioned previously. my tastes haven't changed since then  8)  One time we went to see them live in San Francisco. & we were only about 10 yards away from the band ( I think last time I told this tale it was 15 yards away) & they were taking turns doing instrument solos & then the Bass player started his & he was really getting into it, when suddenly the lead guitarist stepped on the bassist's solo & started a guitar solo. You could tell the bass dude was pissed, he was shaking his head at the lead guitar guy and giving him dirty looks, all very noticable by me and probably many others. 

they have been around for a long time and check this out. they are still touring and have a ton of shows scheduled for 2008

February 20, 2008 

in San Francisco at Slims    "I have seen them here and it only costs 20-25 bucks to get in so I may have to go again since the price is right

Written By: KKay on 01/13/08 at 8:19 am

I actually have been thinkinga bout this lately...I have to choose Reaper.

I'm an all-around fan, though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/14/08 at 1:14 am

I actually have been thinkinga bout this lately...I have to choose Reaper.

I'm an all-around fan, though.
San Francisco Feb 20th  8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/08 at 5:22 pm

I still find it odd that how popular BOC were, they only charted 4 singles in the US Hot 100.  Sometimes I don't really know how these chart systems really work.  It's all a big ball of confusion

Written By: nally on 01/15/08 at 11:55 pm

I still find it odd that how popular BOC were, they only charted 4 singles in the US Hot 100.  Sometimes I don't really know how these chart systems really work.  It's all a big ball of confusion

I know...tell me about it.

I know "Burning For You" only reached #40 on the US Hot 100...yet it reached the top of Billboard's Mainstream Rock singles chart. Maybe it was just more popular in the world of rock, because BOC is a rock band. How'd they do elsewhere?

Written By: fishryc on 01/16/08 at 5:59 pm

Glad you mentioned that song WD!

Don't wanna hijack this thread, but since it was mentioned, ("Ball of Confusion" /  Love and Rockets / Peter Murphey) / and, well................ enough said about Bauhaus; I guess; I'll calm down now .............

BOC? Watched them play "warm up band" many, many times from 1975 thru 1980 in Niagara Falls / Buffalo / Toronto area.
Good stuff..............

Now!! To all my "Under The Neon Palms" TO neighbors!!
What about that "more recent" Frankie Venom and Teenage Head / Romones inspired band from Hamilton, Ont: The Vapids!! These guys really do rock in the true spirit of R-N-R!!
Scott rocks!!
They don't play out and live nearly enough for my insatiable RNR appetite, but, he and guys do rock well ........................

Scott- The 45 year old mega "Lucy in the Sky with Diamond" chomper from across the border in Western NY (Wilson) out!!...................
sryc@buffaloabrasives.com 

Written By: Michael C. on 02/09/09 at 7:33 pm

Saw Blue Oyster Cult six times !!!!
Enjoyed them more every time.They are awesome live !!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/09 at 6:48 pm

Saw Blue Oyster Cult six times !!!!
Enjoyed them more every time.They are awesome live !!!!

If you are from Po'Town, I probably at the same concert you were-because that was where I saw them.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 02/10/09 at 7:05 pm

That's where I saw them....
Remember how they'd go under a phony name?

If you are from Po'Town, I probably at the same concert you were-because that was where I saw them.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/09 at 7:11 pm

That's where I saw them....
Remember how they'd go under a phony name?

Not really. I actually went to the concert at the Civic Center on a whim. I happened to have fell asleep with my radio on the night before (WPDH) and they were playing the ads for the concert all night. I woke up with the idea of going. After making some phone calls (which tickets were SRO by that time), I knew someone who knew someone who wanted to sell a couple of tickets. We got our tickets a half hour before the show and we were 10 rows from the stage.  ;D ;D ;D

Hey, I'm GOOD!!!  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 02/10/09 at 7:16 pm

10 rows back ?................Hey,You are GOOD!!! :D :) ;D
At the Chance ...They'd go under the name Soft White Underbelly......No kidding !!

Not really. I actually went to the concert at the Civic Center on a whim. I happened to have fell asleep with my radio on the night before (WPDH) and they were playing the ads for the concert all night. I woke up with the idea of going. After making some phone calls (which tickets were SRO by that time), I knew someone who knew someone who wanted to sell a couple of tickets. We got our tickets a half hour before the show and we were 10 rows from the stage.  ;D ;D ;D

Hey, I'm GOOD!!!  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: joeman on 02/11/09 at 2:17 pm

I like that one song they did off the movie "Heavy Metal".

I pick Don't Fear the Reaper

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/09 at 2:34 pm

Come on Baby...I can't possibly pick anything other than "Don't Fear the Reaper."

COWBELL!

Written By: joeman on 02/12/09 at 11:32 am

I like that one song they did off the movie "Heavy Metal".

I pick Don't Fear the Reaper

This is the song I am referring to, plus a good solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-suM4JUc0&feature=related

Written By: 90steen on 02/12/09 at 6:25 pm

(Don't Fear) The Reaper is one of the greatest songs of all time, in my opinion. I wasn't around when it was popular, but it's a song everyone in my time knew.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/12/09 at 9:00 pm

luckily for us, the camera was rolling.....

here's the hilarious SNL spoof of Blue Oyster Cult with Will Ferrell  "More Cowbell"

enjoy it while you can, these vids keep getting removed for copyright issues  http://www.dirtybutton.com/videos/978-i-need-more-cow-bell/

Subject: Blue Oyster Cult

Written By: Dude111 on 12/21/17 at 5:36 pm

I picked 'dont fear the reaper' but I also have heard "Burnin for you" and its good too.....

Written By: nally on 12/21/17 at 5:38 pm

I picked 'dont fear the reaper' but I also have heard "Burnin for you" and its good too.....

Those are the two songs of theirs that I know best.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 7:34 am

Those are the two songs of theirs that I know best.

Me too, all I know is "Don't Fear The Reaper" & 'Burnin For You".

Written By: nally on 12/22/17 at 12:47 pm

Me too, all I know is "Don't Fear The Reaper" & 'Burnin For You".

I may have heard at least one other of their songs, "Godzilla", but only on a certain classic rock radio station.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 10:33 am

I only know The Reaper, Burnin' for You, Godzilla, and Nosferatu. I saw More Cowbell back when it aired, I was 11 and I was dying on the floor laughing.

Written By: annimal on 01/07/18 at 11:11 am

Don't fear the 3er

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/09/18 at 8:29 pm

I like this one - if only I could get a little more cowbell  :D  ;D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_MWeOs8Ffg

Check for new replies or respond here...