inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Little House On The Prarie

Written By: Carl on 11/30/05 at 8:21 am

Always liked this show, glad to see TV Land is showing it, but I have some questions about it that I always wondered about:

Where was the show filmed? It seemed somewhere way out west, or was it Northern California?

What kind of dog was 'Bandit'?

What has become of the old town setting now?

Is there really a city called Mankato?

Subject: Re: Little House On The Prarie

Written By: lorac614 on 11/30/05 at 8:59 am

I'm also a big fan of the show!  I watched it all the time when I was young.

The only one I know the answer to is "What kind of dog was 'Bandit'"...

Bandit was a border Collie.

Written By: Carl on 11/30/05 at 9:06 am

Just checked a website, there IS a Mankato in Minnesota. I've heard the name mentioned on many past shows as some scenes were shot there.

Written By: Tia on 11/30/05 at 9:07 am

i like the one with kim richards in it. she has one leg shorter than the other and learns how to overcome adversity and find new friends. it's very touching.

Written By: Tia on 11/30/05 at 9:08 am

i heard a rumor michael landon used to tell racist jokes on the set. anybody else hear that one?

Written By: Carl on 11/30/05 at 9:50 am

I heard a rumor michael landon used to tell racist jokes on the set. anybody else hear that one?

Nope, and I wouldn't believe it HAD I heard it.

I did see that one with Kim Richards, it was interesting. The show with Charles giving aid to the Indian tribe's ailing father was very good.

The saddest show was the final one.

What I liked was this show had a bit of everything: some episodes were VERY serious, some comedy relief, some just normal day to day routines,etc.

We will NEVER see one like this again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/05 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, I used to watch it. In fact, I have the pilot in video.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 2:24 pm

Little House was a great show  :)

Here's some trivia.  From his years on Bonanza, to Little House to High Way to Heaven, from 1959-1989, Michael Landon was never out of work. 

Bonanza (1959-1973)
Little House on the Prarie (1974-1982)
Highway to Heaven (1984-1989)

Little House actually ran until 1983.  Althouh Landon left the show in 1982, he returned in 1983 for a few guest appearances

Written By: Carl on 11/30/05 at 2:37 pm

Little House actually ran until 1983.  Althouh Landon left the show in 1982, he returned in 1983 for a few guest appearances

He left, but still directed the series. Even after he did leave, the shows were still okay.

Written By: Marian on 11/30/05 at 2:59 pm

i heard a rumor michael landon used to tell racist jokes on the set. anybody else hear that one?
I think he did,but it wasn't what you think.I believe it was from the point of view of him being half jewish and half irish,which in his day made him a "minority"or someone looked down upon.In one episode,Charles and a black character had to ride on top of the train.Then the smug characcer who though t he was better than people of color came to the top as we,ll,saying he wasn't allowed inside because he was Irish.So the smug man learned what it was like to be discriminated aginnst.

Written By: GREEN67 on 11/30/05 at 10:52 pm

8) I absolutely LOVE Little House!!..      When I was younger I read all of Laura Ingalls Wilders books...The show is timeless...Everymorning on Hallmark Channell..my daughter and I watch The Waltons..( another CLASSIC..)..and Dr Quinn..( they took it off and I am raising heck about it!!..) These shows have the best Family values and morals!!...Todays shows dont even compare...

Written By: Tia on 12/01/05 at 12:07 am

8) I absolutely LOVE Little House!!..

Written By: vinyl lover on 12/01/05 at 9:06 pm

man that show was sad all the time..it taught me how to cry :\'(..and im a big bad dude, but that show makes me cry like baby sometimes(maybe a tear falls)

Written By: Tia on 12/01/05 at 9:14 pm

man that show was sad all the time..it taught me how to cry :\'(..and im a big bad dude, but that show makes me cry like baby sometimes(maybe a tear falls)

hush up! ima cry just thinkin' about it!

*sob*

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/02/05 at 12:21 am

Some of the better episodes IMO, were when the kids grew up.

I liked the episode (heart-wrenching) when Mary and her husband had the school for the blind which burnt down and her baby and her friend/co-worker died in the fire.

Also liked when Nellie grew up and became less of a brat, her husband tamed the shrew, if you will.

Then of course the last episode where they just blew up the whole town of Walnut Grove because they were all more-or-less cheated out of it by the railroad swindlers.  Classic and very memorable ending to a great series.

I also liked some of the minor characters such as Doc Baker and Isaih Edwards and Eliza Jane Wilder and Ms. Beadle.  It was consistantly well written and cast good.

Written By: Banks on 12/03/05 at 6:01 am

Some episodes I remember are:

When Mary went blind. (I remember wanting to learn how to use sign language incase I ever got to meet her...I was only little remember).

When Charles (I think that was his name) used to live under the stairs of one of the shops and the Ingalls adopted him.

The pilot movie I remember well because Id seen the series first. I remember feeling disapointed because the house they originally build was NOT the same as the house in the series.

I also remember the Kim Richards episode. I had a crush on her when I was a kid.

Im not sure if I remember this, or if it was just my perception...But I seem to remember a lot of the shows would, at some point, be outside either beside or sitting on one of the fences where Landon was having a heart to heart with one of his kids or his wife.

I also remember their very shiny noses (especially of a night).

AN

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/03/05 at 10:26 am

I thought the show was sappy at times, but it also could be downright hilarious. One of my favorite episodes was when a bully moved to Walnut Grove and kept tormenting all the kids in school. (He was at least twice as big as the rest of the kids.) Finally Laura got fed up, and she convinced all the other kids to stand up to him. They told him to quit pushing them around, and when he said, "Who's gonna make me?" they all said "We are!" and proceeded to gang up on the bully and beat the living crap out of him.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/05 at 3:11 pm

Love Little House.  Makes me cry like a baby almost every episode. 

Written By: Tia on 12/05/05 at 10:21 am

i was watching a land of the lost with the roomies the other night and got kinda weepy. so apparently i'm just a cheeseball.

to be fair, it was the one where the sleestak masquerade as will and holly's dead mom. it's very sad. i described it as the "little cave on the prairie" LotL episode. Holly peers through the mist at the beckoning sleestak mom and says, why can't we see her that well? And will sez, all sad, maybe it's because we can't remember her that well. And I gotta choke back so I don't start bawling! Lol. I think the roomies just thought it was stupid, alas.

Check for new replies or respond here...