inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember when NBC tried to get rid of the Peacock and got the "N"?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 8:58 pm

Why would NBC even think of ditching the Peacock? And why did they use that IMO UGLY "N" symbol? Didn't NBC get sued over the "N" by Nebraska Educational Television?

I'm glad NBC reinstated the Peacock, although he's lost a few feathers, he's still one of the coolest corporate symbols.

Subject: Re: Remember when NBC tried to get rid of the Peacock and got the "N"?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/01/05 at 9:50 pm

http://www.voyager.in/images/thumb/8/84/150px-Nbcetv.JPG

Fact of the Day
for Tuesday,
April 20, 2004

It might well be considered one of NBC's biggest blunders (behind The Facts of Life Down Under).

On New Year's Day 1976, NBC proudly unveiled a new, modern "N" logo that had been developed and unveiled at a staggering cost of more than $600,000.

The problem was that many viewers in Nebraska

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/01/05 at 10:07 pm

OK, I found a picture of the redesigned NETV logo. (Since they replaced it a few years ago, that's the best image I could find.) Looks a lot better than what NBC paid them a million bucks for, eh?

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 12:15 am

I remember when NBC merged the N with the Peacock.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/02/05 at 8:48 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 4:50 pm

I have to wonder how John J. Graham, the man who created the original NBC Peacock logos, felt about his creation being given the boot by NBC....

I think it's cool that the OLD Peacock shows up in some NBC shows and commercials. I remember someone saying he's part of the opening of the "American Dreams" NBC series....

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 9:28 pm

I have to wonder how John J. Graham, the man who created the original NBC Peacock logos, felt about his creation being given the boot by NBC....

I think it's cool that the OLD Peacock shows up in some NBC shows and commercials. I remember someone saying he's part of the opening of the "American Dreams" NBC series....

Sometimes when Conan O'Brien does skits where he makes fun of NBC, he uses the late 70's peacock

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/international/images/nbc5.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...