inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best cartoon episode

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/02/05 at 7:34 am

In the 1960

Subject: Re: Best cartoon episode

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/03/05 at 9:06 am

In the 1960

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/03/05 at 9:18 am

I remember that one. That totally sounds like a Tex Avery cartoon. After reading your post I went to a tribute website, http://www.texavery.com/, and I went to the screenshot section and was laughing my ass off at some of the stills taken from his cartoons.
  One of the funniest cartoons I can remember was another one by Tex Avery where a cat found a package in the street that was from a novelty company, and inside the package was a device that fit over the cat's tongue and gave him the ability to throw his voice. The cat decided he would have a little fun at the expense of "Spike," and he kept meowing into it and getting Spike into different messed up situations. At the end of the cartoon, the cat projected his voice into Spike himself while he was in front of about 9 or 10 other dogs, and the dogs wound up chasing Spike up a telephone pole. The cartoon ended when the cat found himself trapped on the telephone pole with Spike at the top and the other dogs at the bottom, and the cat kept running back and forth as the dogs onneach end of the pole would bark furiously at him.
    Here's a few screenshots from that website:

http://www.texavery.com/shots/cat8.jpg http://www.texavery.com/shots/spike1.jpg

http://www.texavery.com/shots/spike16.jpg http://www.texavery.com/shots/char13.jpg
Tex Avery rules! ;D ;D ;D

Yep! T.A. it was. I remember the cat one also; it's frikken hilarious too!

Written By: darktower on 12/07/05 at 2:35 pm

In the 1960

Written By: Carl on 12/07/05 at 2:50 pm

My favorite cartoon episode was a Flintstones one where Fred made Barney dress as a baby to impress his rich southern relative Big Tex for some kind of fortune, calling him 'Little Tex'! That was a funny one! I'm sure many of you have seen it.

The other one I liked was the very first episode in 1960,where Barney invented a flying machine.

Written By: Skippy on 12/07/05 at 5:15 pm

The great thing about the MGM directors(Tex Avery, Hanna-Barbera,  Rudolf Ising, George Gordon, Dick Lundy, Micheal Lah, Preston Blair, & Hugh Harman) and Leon Schlesinger/Warner Brothers directors(Rudolf Ising, Hugh Harman, Isadore "Friz" Freleng, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, Bob Clampett, & Carl Stalling) was the attention to detail and the physics of the action. Notice the same names popping up in both studios.
They used different sound effects for explosions depending on the scene, from small pops to large bangs. When Tom(Tom & Jerry) got his head stuck in the watering can containing the firecracker they used a muffled "pip" sound. When Spike held a stick of dynamite to one side of his head the fur would be blown toward the opposite side of the explosion.
The backgrounds were also very detailed. Remember though, some of these people came over from Disney, who also had great aniamtion.
Isn't it strange that the Looney Toons get edited for violence, But the MGM studios toons are left alone?

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/09/05 at 8:35 am

As darktower said about the Droopy cartoon that started this thread, it is the funniest cartoon that will EVER be made. However, I just saw one that I had not seen for years that was pretty good, although pale compared to the Droopy episode. It featured Wile E. Coyote in a Road Runner toon. He had acquired the ACME (of course!) Indestructo Steel Ball. He gets inside of it and attempts to roll after and catch the road runner. The entire cartoon follows the path of the ball as it travel through all types of bone breaking falls and bang arounds (off cliffs, over waterfalls, etc). It eventually ends up at the starting point and will repeat the entire agonizing journey. Very different from other Road Runner toons and pretty imaginative for a WB production.

Written By: BlueTorpedo on 12/09/05 at 5:05 pm

In the 1960

Written By: Skippy on 12/09/05 at 9:21 pm

He had a Southern drawl, spoke in asides (to the audience) "No what I mean, man," and whistled a Dixie tune while he was preparing ill-fated attempts to get the Droopys out of their brick stronghold. Can you hear the tune he whistled?

If I remember correctly he whistled "Turkey in the Straw". The same wolf character was in another Avery cartoon with a billygoat which had a voracious appetite.

Written By: Cartoon Girl on 07/29/06 at 4:23 pm

The one originally referred to is the Tex Avery classic Rock a Bye Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYDXMq8dM4

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/30/06 at 6:03 pm

The old cartoon I laughed at the hardest was a Pink Panther from the 60s where he is in a vampire castle and the vampire starts yelling "Blah! Blah blah!" I don't know why I liked it so much but I have watched it umpty ump times.

Written By: Davester on 07/31/06 at 3:47 am

In the 1960’s and 1970’s, we had A LOT of great cartoons from the 40’s and 50’s that had gone into syndication and were seen regularly as part of “compilation cartoon shows” that were usually and hour long on local programming time and played a hodgepodge of cartoons. For some reason, and still to this day, one remains burned in my brain as the funniest cartoon I have ever seen. It is a Droopy Dog cartoon. Droopy had the assignment of keeping the house of a bear that could not stand noise quiet for his winter hibernation. The bear SCREAMED out his instructions and kept saying “I CAN’T STAND NOISE” (as Droopy’s ears were flapping in the wind created by the bears shouting!) Then, to sabotage the arrangement came Spike the bulldog that, would try all types of deeds to create noise and thus get his rival Droopy nailed. These are some of the funniest parts. Every attempt (dynamite, etc) backfired and ended up subjecting Spike to some extremely painful injuries. He then had to run out of the house to the top of a mountain in order to scream out in agony so that the bear would not be awakened. He was running up the mountain every minute; and with much hilarity! I’ve bought a few Droopy VHS and DVD’s, but still search for this hilarious episode. Anyone have a single cartoon episode that seems to stand out above the rest?

Dude..!  I know, exactly, the episode you're referring to and it is freakin' hilarious..!

This cartoon episode also gets my vote...

I'm also thinking of an episode from the first season of The Flintstones where Fred lowers Barney into one of those large mail containers to scream in pain from having a piano(?) dropped on his foot while trying to move Wilma's anniversary gift into the house while she sleeps.  A postman arrives a short while later to fetch the mail from the container...

Freakin' hilarious..!

go ;)...

Written By: Banks on 08/01/06 at 1:05 am

I LOVE that Droopy cartoon!!! I have it taped from TV from years back.

Another classic I love is the one where Sam the Sheepdog and  a coyote (or possibly he's a wolf) clock on at work at the begining of the day. They are friends it seems. Then the coyote/wolf attempts to take a sheep while Sam the sheepdog always stops him (although I have no idea how the sheepdog can see through the bush of hair covering his eyes). At the end of the cartoon Sam is punching the coyote/wolf when the siren for the end of work sounds. The two clock off, being friendly and nice (see ya tomorrow Sam) etc, and the next shift begins with a new sheepdog and coyote/wolf taking up exactly where the previous shift left off (with the sheepdog punching the coyote/wolf).

I love this cartoon!!!

Another really cartoon movie Ive got which I first saw in the late 1970's (but I believe is from the late 1930's) is called Hoppity Goes To Town. Its a classic story about bugs who live in an empty lot in New York City. Its a great story.

AN

Written By: Jay Duke on 08/18/06 at 5:11 pm

Absolute best and funniest cartoon I have ever seen was "Boy Scout Droopy".  Unfortunately, it is very rarely seen today and when it is shown, it has been censored.  If anyone has seen it, you will know what I am talking about.  In todays "sensitive" society, this cartoon could have never have been made.   If you recall, Spike is trying to out perform Droopy for top boy scout honors.  In an attempt to eliminate (lliterally) Droopy from the competition, Spike sets a house on fire.  He quickly runs behind a tree and calls for help mimicking a female voice.  Droopy, living up to the boy scout tradition, runs into the burning house and promptly comes out holding a gorgeous blonde.  Of course Spike's jaw drops to the ground.  Thinking he can do the same thing, he runs back into the burning house only to have the house go totally up in flames.  As Spike stands there charred completly black, Droopy runs back into what was a house, looks at Spike and states "Hey blackie, got any more 'babes in there!"  Having first seen it in the early "60's,  I never thought anything about that comment.  Remembering it as an adult, I can only imagine what stink it would cause today!  Never the less, it was a great cartoon.

Written By: KKay on 08/18/06 at 6:08 pm

What's Opera, Doc?

Loooove it.

kill the wabbit....kill the wabbit....

http://www.alexross.com/81192-big.jpg

Written By: Davester on 08/19/06 at 12:06 am

What's Opera, Doc?

Loooove it.

kill the wabbit....kill the wabbit....

http://www.alexross.com/81192-big.jpg

Great episode but it's so sad when Elmer realizes he's killed Bugs... :\'(

Make me cwye go ;) ...

Written By: KKay on 08/19/06 at 9:43 am

Great episode but it's so sad when Elmer realizes he's killed Bugs... :\'(

Make me cwye go ;) ...

it's the best! "what have i done.......
                     I killed da wabbit....
                     pooor widddle bunny
                    poor widddle wabbit....."

Written By: loki 13 on 08/19/06 at 10:12 am

One of the best cartoon episodes I've seen was the Flintstones. The episode where Barney
has a toothache and he and Fred go to the dentist. The dentist takes a phone call while giving
Barney gas. Barney gets too much gas and floats out the door. This episode was non stop laughter.

Written By: woops on 08/26/06 at 4:12 pm

The MGM (Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry) and Looney Tunes (mostly pre 1948) cartoons can be seen on Turner Classic Movies channel, especially on their weekly show Cartoon Alley  8)

Sometimes some Fliescher (Popeye, though haven't shown Betty Boop... yet)

Check for new replies or respond here...