inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 33 RPM Vinyl Record Perks, Inserts, and Premiums

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/02/05 at 11:26 am

I used to love it when you cracked open a new 33 and found inside some type of printed program, lyrics, photo books, posters, etc, etc. Cassettes put an end to this, but it has been resurected to some degree with CD's; however, those of us that bought tons of vinyl in the 60's and 70's struggle to read the size 2.5 font printed on these CD perks! Anyway, I got some cool stuff over the years and wondered what other treasures were acquired this way? My favorites are the giant rolling paper that came in Cheech and Chongs "Big Bambu" LP, a humorous 45 RPM single "Hit Me With Your Rythem Stick" from Ian Dury's "Do It Yourself" LP and a Kiss photo album from their "Alive" LP. (Still have them all, too)

Subject: Re: 33 RPM Vinyl Record Perks, Inserts, and Premiums

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/05 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, I still have my big rolling paper.  I also still have my Styx poster that came with my Grand Illusion album. That was hanging on my wall for most of my teen years. I also still have the picture of Steve Martin that came with the Let's Get Small album that was signed "Best Fishes."

I had lost the shopping bag that came with the Partridge Family's album Shopping Bag-in fact, I lost the album.

I'm trying to remember some of the other stuff that I got but I am going blank right now.

Cat

Written By: Sammy Reed on 12/02/05 at 6:57 pm

One great thing I can think about right now is those Crystal Gayle album covers - and those dang inner-sleeves which had a couple of extra pictures on them.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/05 at 12:34 am

Well...they weren't actually premiums from buying real vinyls but I remember those great tiny flexi records you'd get from the cereal boxes.  Loved those things.  Wish I'd kept them.

http://www.wfmu.org/MACrec/cbmany.html

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 12:37 am

Well...they weren't actually premiums from buying real vinyls but I remember those great tiny flexi records you'd get from the cereal boxes.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/05 at 12:53 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Banks on 12/03/05 at 4:51 am

I still LOVE the photos in the Fleetwood Mac Rumours LP. I love the picture of McVie and Buckingham hugging. The pictures are so much more visible on the LP.

I once got a limited edition 45rpm single with Michael Jacksons Off The Wall album. The single was of You Cant Win from The Wiz soundtrack. With CDs these days the extra track can be added onto the album, though I prefer the extra track being seperate from the album...Seems like your getting more.

I remember getting a massive fold up poster of the Mickey Mouse club (circa 1977) with my Mickey Mouse Club album. I remember I had the hots for one of the girls in the poster (I was only 5 at the time).

The Star Wars soundtrack came with special picture book of the movie. Because it was before VHS (at least once that my Mum and I could afford) it was the closest I could get to seeing the movie without going to the cinema. In 1980 Star Wars was played on TV here in Australia for the first time.

Also, Led Zeppelins Physical Graffitti album with its pull out inner sleeve which featured scenes from inside the windows was another Lp favorite.

AN

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/03/05 at 5:07 am

Also, Led Zeppelins Physical Graffitti album with its pull out inner sleeve which featured scenes from inside the windows was another Lp favorite.

AN

Zep 3 was pretty cool at the time too (with the rotating disc with different mini pictures that would show through the small windows.)

Hey Alright Now-  I used to love a late 70's or early 80's band from your neck of the woods- "Mi-Sex". Any of these guys still around playing in new bands or a resurrected version of MS?  "Computer Games" was their big hit here in the states, but I thought every song on that LP was great!

Written By: Banks on 12/03/05 at 5:20 am

Ive not heard of Mi-Sex for a while now. I went and saw them live back in 1982 and again in 1989. They were very good live.

Unfortunately, Ive not heard anything from them fir around ten to eleven years. Last I heard the lead singer was supposed to be making a solo album, but I never heard anything more after that.

Sorry to not be very much help.

They were a favorite of mine back int he early 80's.  may have to go see if I can find any more info about what they are doing now...Youve got me wanting to know now too...If I find anything interesting Ill let you know.  :)

AN

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 12:31 pm

Well...they weren't actually premiums from buying real vinyls but I remember those great tiny flexi records you'd get from the cereal boxes.  Loved those things.  Wish I'd kept them.

http://www.wfmu.org/MACrec/cbmany.html

I remember those. I remember we got Sugar, Sugar by the Archies from a cereal box.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/05 at 12:51 am

the poster of the nude bicycle race in Queen's album "JAZZ"  I got the 7 disc blue Velvet box set and inside the Jazz cd is a mini poster.

Written By: vinyl lover on 12/05/05 at 11:40 am

those cereal box records were awesome....i would use an orange juice glass to put in the center because when you put the record needle on the record it would not rotate cuz the needle was too heavy..i had sugar, sugar...abc from the jackson five...i forgot the others...i remember you had to pour your cereal out of a box with a gigantic hole in it..people would come over and see it  and would say "wow ,what happened to your cereal? do you have roaches? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...