inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tales of petty vandalism and other youthful hijinks

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/09/05 at 10:54 am

(Alternate thread title: "Puttin' Bad Ideas In Our Young-Un's Heads...")

So, when you were on summer vacation from school and you got bored after a few weeks, what kinds of mischief did you get into to pass the time and stick it to the Man? (Even though I really spent my teenage years in the 80's, I chose the 70's board because maybe it's just me, but it seemed like people were a bit nuttier back then when it came to youthful pranks.) Here's just a couple of things me and my friends did when we were growing up in Nebraska:

MUDWHIPPING. This originally started out as "apple-whipping," which was inspired after a friend saw this on "Little House On The Prairie." We'd go to a neighbor's house, which had a large apple tree in the backyard, and since they never picked their apples there'd be a bunch of them lying on the ground. We'd then take a thick maple branch, spear an apple on the end, and then whip the branch and fling the apple off of it. Sometimes you could launch one about 100 yards.

Subject: Re: Tales of petty vandalism and other youthful hijinks

Written By: RDee on 12/10/05 at 1:32 am

On hot summer evenings we liked to aim bottle rockets into the open doors of local taverns, etc. and watch the patrons scurry about and get all "hey you kids" on us.
One of our many 'party pranks' over the years stands out - one night we aimed a store surveillance-style camera (complete with red 'on' light) directly at the bathroom toilet. The guys never saw it because their backs were generally toward the lens. But when the girls sat down - well just imagine victim after hapless victim screaming, throwing a towel over the camera and running out in a crazy panic into a hallway filled with laughing pranksters. And after we calmed each person down, she'd be the first in line to wait for the next newbie to go in and get the same treatment. Now, we were never actually filming or recording the activity, just using the camera as a prop for some laughter.
But when I fell asleep drunk in a chair and my dad came home to read the newspaper in his favorite bathroom spot, well, I had a lot of 'xplaining to do.

Subject: Re: Tales of petty vandalism and other youthful hijinks

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/10/05 at 8:21 am

On hot summer evenings we liked to aim bottle rockets into the open doors of local taverns, etc. and watch the patrons scurry about and get all "hey you kids" on us.
One of our many 'party pranks' over the years stands out - one night we aimed a store surveillance-style camera (complete with red 'on' light) directly at the bathroom toilet. The guys never saw it because their backs were generally toward the lens. But when the girls sat down - well just imagine victim after hapless victim screaming, throwing a towel over the camera and running out in a crazy panic into a hallway filled with laughing pranksters. And after we calmed each person down, she'd be the first in line to wait for the next newbie to go in and get the same treatment. Now, we were never actually filming or recording the activity, just using the camera as a prop for some laughter.
But when I fell asleep drunk in a chair and my dad came home to read the newspaper in his favorite bathroom spot, well, I had a lot of 'xplaining to do.

I like the part about shooting bottle rockets into taverns, I can just picture a bunch of drunks running around  and bumping into each other trying to take cover.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...